Starting to Run? Also Question About Boobs!

Options
Hey all,
I have just stepped it up from power walking to wanting to learn to run - HELP? Any tips and pointers?
I have pre much been just saying oh just wanna make it to that tree, walk for a minute, then run for a minute, etc. etc.....

Also...
Even my sports bras don't support my massive jugs enough whilst running - what should I do? Any tips?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Get a new sports bra. Shock absorber and Freya (and underwired one) both do ones that support even the biggest of boobs without jiggle. You need the shock absorber D+, and go down a cup size.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    interval running!
    ex:
    power walk for 1 minute, run for 30 seconds etc.
    change it to what suits you
    i started with interval running and now i can almost run the whole lot
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you want help with running Check out this website. It has helped me out a lot.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good Luck.

I can't be of much help with the bra thing. I don't have much for boobs left worry about.
  • KLi531
    KLi531 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Try C25K, It's pretty awesome.

As for the boobs, I would just shop around for a better sports bra. Mine behave when we're running but act like they want to break free and start a life of their own when we're doing jumping jacks...
  • secondrowchick
    secondrowchick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find wearing 2 sports bras helps - one normal and one racer back.
    As for the running, if you have an iphone there are some great apps - I'm using 'get running' but try googling couch to 5k (C25K) as that one was quite good too!
    Jen
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Check out a routine program call C25K, its on the coolrunnings website thenoachem mentioned too. I'm on it, iv never really eveen walked before, and 6weeks in and I'm running 2 miles easily, and tomorrow have my first 5K (3 mile) race :)
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I find wearing 2 sports bras helps - one normal and one racer back.
    As for the running, if you have an iphone there are some great apps - I'm using 'get running' but try googling couch to 5k (C25K) as that one was quite good too!
    Jen

I like this idea. Sometimes I do the same. =)
  • RichardCh
    Options
    I found intervals running really helped walking for 1 min and running for 2 to start with. The other main thing that helped was breathing heavy when I fealt a stitch comming on
  • MissBianca9707
    Options
    My bro, GT, went into the Army in July and I did some interval training with him and it was great! Started out stretching for ten min then walk for a min run (bolt as fast as you can) for 30 sec.. Im up to running for five min and walking for three and Im seeing results after 10 weeks.. Good luck Lady :)

p.s sorry cant really help with the boobage issue-- it just didnt happen for me lol
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Interval training is the way I got into running, using the Couch to 5K program (& I still do intervals now); one thing I would advise is really invest your time in selecting your running shoe. Good footwear that fits you well is SO very important as you start to run... I personally run in Vibram Fivefingers but they're not for everyone.

I'm so excited that you're taking your exercise up a notch- I NEVER thought that I would end up into running but I think I just might be hooked (did I just type that?) :laugh:

All the best too you!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i had the same issue.
    i was running between lamp posts, then to street corners and stuff like that. but i never really improved measurably until i did C25k- seriously, do that if you want to run. heaps of people here have done it, and so have i! i started off 8 months ago at 106kgs and had never run in my adult life. now i'm training for a half marathon and have lost 23kgs (50lbs).
    as for the bra thing- i also have mammoth mammories. i wear a sports bra, a crop top over that AND a tight top over that. then i put on my running top too. i don't want my jugs to have any jiggle factor at all!
    feel free to FR me if you want- i've already been there!
  • igix
    igix Posts: 1
    Options
    Interval running indeed. Try 1 minute intervals and if that's too much for you, try 30 second intervals. And then continue with 1, 2 minute intervals and then 2 min run/1 min walk etc.. Just don't push yourself too hard, it made me hate excercise in general because i had this insane schedule and i tried too hard.

Anyway, good luck, running is awesome!
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    Intervals I agree. Alternate walking and running first and build up to constant running, then faster/ slower running intervals as your fitness improves.

On the bra, get a better one. Shock Absorber have different levels of support for different sports and chest sizes- go for one with the 'anti-bounce' panel across the top of the jugs, it holds em down!
  • ParagonXI
    ParagonXI Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone iMapMyRun is a very useful iPhone/Android app to monitor your miles. Not really sure if it's accurate about your pace though.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    get a good sports bra. Nike, UA have good bras with lots of support. You dont need to have the girls flopping around :laugh:
  • gatorx
    gatorx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try the Enell Sports Bra. I've used it and there is NO bounce at all! You can get it on Amazon, but here is the info from the website. They also have some other fitness products. This bra was endorsed by Oprah a few years ago and flew off the shelves! You do have to lie back onto a bed to put it on properly, but you will never have to double up or wear extra support tops while exercising. They will not move....

http://www.enell.com/products.php?productID=1
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As others have said, try to find a more supportive sports bra. I wear Lululemon "Tata Tamers" when I know I'm going to be bouncing around, but there must be better (and cheaper) brands out there. I have other sports bras that I got on sale and aren't so great, so I usually double them up since I'm on a budget and can't afford to go buy new ones right now, or I wear one with a tank top that has a built in bra, just for added support.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think if you are having to double up, you aren't wearing the right bra. I didn't have a problem even at a HH cup with the right bra.