Breakfast with veggies

Onedaywriter
Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
edited January 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I’m trying to eat some veggies with every meal. Lunch and dinner are easy, but breakfast has never been a big vegetable meal for me. I’ve been having eggs/egg whites mixed with assorted vegetables and enjoying this, but I’m seeking some variety. I’m also trying to get at least 20 grams of protein per meal.

Any ideas or recipes would be great. Thanks

Replies

• tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,270 Member
    If you like potatoes, you can sautee peppers, onion, and any other veggies with a small amount of cubed or shredded potatoes-or use sweet potatoes-very tasty!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I've been making this crustless quiche with frozen mixed vegetables as a meal prep. It is so easy and really delicious. I added a sauteed onion because I love them in everything. I usually sub plain Greek yogurt for sour cream. She advised against this, and I'm glad I listened. I think the sour cream is is secret to the dish.

https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/crustless-vegetable-quiche-recipe/
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    A few quick ideas:

Sweet potato toast.

Hash made with regular or sweet potatoes and greens.

Fresh tomato.

Wrap made with scrambled eggs, sauteed veggies (any combo of onion, bell peppers and mushrooms). Add black olives or avocado if desired.

Sauteed mushrooms.

Leftover mashed veggies made into cakes and pan fried.

Smoothies made with fruit and veggies. For example, you can easily replace ice in any smoothie with ~85 g of frozen riced cauliflower.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you could make a breakfast casserole (crustless quiche) and add in veg. or omelet type things. I keep meaning to make a baking tray of eggs mixed with peppers and such but haven't gotten around to it.

you can also add in fruit with whatever else you have
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I slow cook whole cubed butternut squash with raisins, 6T orange juice, honey, cinnamon, and 1T butter shavings. There's enough for the whole week - or I can freeze it in individual portions. I eat about 7 oz. warmed in a bowl and topped with 3oz. Greek yogurt: ~350 calories. Feels like eating dessert for breakfast and quells my sweet cravings.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I would have my crustless pumpkin pie= pumpkin,stevia,nonfat evaporated milk, 2 eggs, cinnamon. I cut that into 4 servings
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I love Shaksuka. For the sake of time on weekdays I'll cook up a batch of the tomato base to stick in the fridge, reheat and just cook an egg to stick on top.

Where have I been?! I'd never heard of shaksuka. Looked up the recipe and will surely be adding that to my menu.
    Thank you! <3

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    My go-to breakfast is savory oatmeal with a bit of curry powder and at least 300 grams of veg (e.g., 100 each onion, spinach & tomato; or bok choy, celery & peppers; or leftover green beans, sweet potato & eggplant ). I saute/steam the veggies and microwave the oatmeal while I'm packing my lunch, and by the time lunch packed, the veggies are ready and go in the oatmeal bowl.

For a bit more protein and a creamier texture, I sometimes add a bit of silken tofu, but you could add cheese or plain yogurt.

VERY filling, and sticks with me til lunchtime!
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Thanks all. I already disrupted my veggies at every meal rule but I’m trying. I took AnnPT77 advice and switched to fruit or veggies at every meal from just veggies. This opens up a few good things I do with Greek yogurt and frozen berries and berry protein pancakes.

I still haven’t tried the shasuka or savory oatmeal(never thought of savory here) but I plan on it.
  • TexasTallchick
    TexasTallchick Posts: 133 Member
    Look for the recipe for mini crustless quiche on SkinnyTaste.com. I omit the flour for less carbs and it doesn’t make a difference at all.

It’s got tomatoes, spinach, green peppers, turkey kielbasa and you can really add/alternate anything you like as far as veggies go. I’ve added chopped broccoli, cauliflower, edamame, etc. They’re pretty filling as well. I eat 3 and that’s 150 cals and I’m good for hours.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I'm not a big vegetable at breakfast person either, unless it's an occasional omelet or egg scramble with veggies. However, I drink some kind of fruit and/or veggie smoothie almost every day. There are lots of great recipes with spinach or kale, various fruit and some kind of protein (either greek yogurt or protein powder). Don't know if you're into smoothies or not, but it's an easy way to get in 1-2 servings of greens. Spinach is a good place to start, because it doesn't have a lot of taste.

Here are couple of easy ones:
    1 cup spinach, 1 cup greek yogurt, 1 banana (preferably frozen), 10-15 grapes (or 1-2 honey), and a bit of milk.
    1 cup spinach, 1 banana, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of your choice, 1 T peanut butter, and enough liquid (about 1/2-1 cup) to blend.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Funnily enough, I arrived on some of the same ideas as @AnnPT77 - oatmeal with pumpkin and pumpkin spices mixed in is a winter staple. I often mix in a bit of unflavored protein powder, though my calorie needs are a little greater than average.

Today I did savory oatmeal with spinach and a couple of runny eggs with plenty of black pepper and hot sauce drizzled over. Fast and easy, which is one of my breakfast requirements.

When I want to mix it up, I have bags of frozen fruit that I'll mix into the oatmeal, which cools it down to the right temp, brings in fiber and all that good stuff, and tastes lovely.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Thanks all. I already disrupted my veggies at every meal rule but I’m trying. I took AnnPT77 advice and switched to fruit or veggies at every meal from just veggies. This opens up a few good things I do with Greek yogurt and frozen berries and berry protein pancakes.

I still haven’t tried the shasuka or savory oatmeal(never thought of savory here) but I plan on it.

I aim for some sort of produce at every meal, so fruit or vegetables. Breakfast will often be fruit on the side of something else. It's just easier. Right now I am doing an egg sandwich with avocado and a banana on the side. But I also don't kick myself if I just want some scrambled eggs with toast because I am tired and don't feel great. Things will balance out in the end.

Other options I do for breakfast are:

Egg scrambles with veggies
    Omelets with veggies (this and the scramble are usually peppers, onions, mushrooms, or greens)
    A veggie heavy potato hash (peppers and onions obviously, but brussel sprouts, asparagus, greens, and zucchini are good fillers too)
    Tomato and avocado on a breakfast sandwich
    Avocado toast with egg and sometimes tomato
    Grilled tomatoes on the side of eggs
    Sauteed mushrooms on the side of eggs

I often will have leftover roasted or sauteed veggies from dinner (I am solo and always make too much lol). Sometimes I literally just heat those up and eat them on the side. Asparagus is great like this.

In the summer I do smoothies or yogurt bowls more often. That's more fruit based, but still falls under my "rule". I do add spinach to my smoothies along with fruit.
    Oatmeal with various fruit such as berries, pumpkin, apples, or banana.
  • nhaynie228
    nhaynie228 Posts: 15 Member
    One of my most liberating moments in my ongoing weight loss journey was when I realized that I really didn't have to match the "average" or "normal" breakfast foods... I love eggs, but I'm allergic to dairy, so that severely limits my other breakfast options if I were to try to sick to the normal options. Now I just eat what I would like to eat that fits within my goals for nutrients. For example, I'll often have tuna or chicken with either raw veggies or roasted veggies. My friends do like to make a little fun of me for my breakfast choices now, but it's all in good fun. :)
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    I make my mom an omelette with veggies. I do a quick stir fry of spinach, green peppers, and onions first and set aside. Then I do the omelette and add the veggies in with the cheese. I also add ham and crumbled bacon to add extra protein and make it more filling.