Bursitis! Help! Tons of pain.

Options
SUPER frustrating!!

So about a year ago I had Bursitis in my right hip. It went away eventually after some pain meds and an overpriced cortisone injection. But now it feels like its coming back again now that I have started up this new exercise routine. I thought I had built up enough strength for my hip to take it but maybe not. Does anyone else deal with chronic bursitis? I also have what is call "patella femoral mal-tracking" in both of my knees and have surgery on both of them. So far *knock on wood* my strength training of my quads has helped that problem.

Anyhow I would really like to know what other people do for chronic joint pain. Especially bursitis! I really don't want to get off track because of pain! :noway:

Thanks guys!

Replies

• ihavenowaist
    ihavenowaist Posts: 112
    Options
    I hope you get some great answers...I have bursitis in my shoulder, and it is keeping me from doing any exercise other than walking. I would love to do the 30 day shred, but it hurts so badly I cant stand it!!!

Best of luck in finding a solution....
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I had bursitis in my left hip when I was in my 20's. It has never flared up since then. But, now I have snapping hip syndrome in that hip and I'm wondering if they are related in any way. Like you, I'm finding it hard to exercise because it will get worse and cause pain with any stress to that joint. I'd love to see other people's answers on this too.
  • JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing... and what works for me is to take ibruprophen about 30 minutes before I work out. I know this doesn't SOLVE anything... but the doctor said my pain will probably never go away... only losing weight will help make it less. So I take that before working out and ice down afterward.
  • PaulaButHag
    Options
    I too have pain in my right hip. I have been to an orthopedic and haven been through a round of steroids, and a cortisone shot directly into the joint. I have been reluctant to do much exercise because the repetitive motions just kill me. I starting taking a prescription "Mobic" with a couple of tylenol and that seems to help a little. The orthopedic said it had not turned into arthritis. So what the heck are we supposed to do?:ohwell:
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    I never thought of taking it BEFORE I work out! I always take it right after. I will have to try that. I definitely ice it down a lot which seems to help. I ice it all day at work if I have to to make the swelling go down. Does anyone find heat helpful?
  • wannabeslim67
    Options
    Also had bursitis in my shoulder, and it's never been the same. Mobility is more limited than before, and it will let me know if I overdo arm exercises. Never thought of taking ibuprofen before work-outs. Great tip, I'll have to try!
  • JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I never thought of taking it BEFORE I work out! I always take it right after. I will have to try that. I definitely ice it down a lot which seems to help. I ice it all day at work if I have to to make the swelling go down. Does anyone find heat helpful?

heat... it helps... BUT...... it is worse in the long run because it will relax the area and not take the swelling down so it does do any real good other than relax you. The ice will decrease any swelling so it helps more than the heat. What you can do is alternate, heat/ice every 20 minutes.

In the long run, once it becomes arthritis there isn't much you can do... obviously, losing weight will help... and then (from what I have been told) it is just a maintenance game. I had many steroid shots straight into the joints during my pregnancy and those really help but you are limited to how many you can have. Sadly, I do not think there is much long term solutions out there for us... if anyone finds one... let me know!
  • imcsqrd
    imcsqrd Posts: 32
    Options
    Developed bursitis in my left hip and after going to physical therapy and getting not much relief, did some research on what exactly it is and once I read the word inflammation, knew what to do. Bought curcumin supplement from my local health food store and started taking 2 capsules 3 - 4 times a day. Within a month, almost all the pain was gone. Curcumin is from the spice tumeric and has anti-inflammatory properties. Kept up the regimen of 2 capsules 3 times a day for another month and have been doing well since. If I irritate the hip and start to feel that pain again, start the curcumin for a few days and all is well. One therapy exercise that did seem to help and I still do (hope I can explain it!) - lay on your back, bend the leg of the hip that DOES NOT hurt so that your foot is flat on the floor, cross the leg of the hip that DOES hurt in front of the bent leg, grab the bent leg and gently pull it towards your chest to where you feel the stretch across the back of the top of the leg of the hurting hip down into the glute almost to the lower back. I stress GENTLY in the pulling of the bent leg, you are working on stretching out the muscles and ligaments in that joint to loosen things up a bit and take some of the strain off. I usually do both legs just to keep things even :)

Try the curcumin, should help. Good luck.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Developed bursitis in my left hip and after going to physical therapy and getting not much relief, did some research on what exactly it is and once I read the word inflammation, knew what to do. Bought curcumin supplement from my local health food store and started taking 2 capsules 3 - 4 times a day. Within a month, almost all the pain was gone. Curcumin is from the spice tumeric and has anti-inflammatory properties. Kept up the regimen of 2 capsules 3 times a day for another month and have been doing well since. If I irritate the hip and start to feel that pain again, start the curcumin for a few days and all is well. One therapy exercise that did seem to help and I still do (hope I can explain it!) - lay on your back, bend the leg of the hip that DOES NOT hurt so that your foot is flat on the floor, cross the leg of the hip that DOES hurt in front of the bent leg, grab the bent leg and gently pull it towards your chest to where you feel the stretch across the back of the top of the leg of the hurting hip down into the glute almost to the lower back. I stress GENTLY in the pulling of the bent leg, you are working on stretching out the muscles and ligaments in that joint to loosen things up a bit and take some of the strain off. I usually do both legs just to keep things even :)

Try the curcumin, should help. Good luck.

Thank you so much! This seems like a great idea! I will go buy some curcumin asap! Worth a shot!
  • sleepthoughts
    Options
    I have bursitis in my elbow and I combat it with compression bandaging during workouts and icing the elbow after particularly hardcore workouts. I also take Ibuprofen as necessary. Goodluck to you! And it's great to hear what everyone else has to say about it!
  • imcsqrd
    imcsqrd Posts: 32
    Options
    Another thing that helps with joint issues overall, but requires patience for results, is Knox gelatin. Learned about this years ago and have seen it help several folks over the years. One friend couldn't walk upstairs w/o severe pain but after 7 - 8 months of diligently doing the gelatin, was taking the stairs! Real simple - get the Knox gelatin in the packets (usually a box of 30), put one in 6 - 8 oz of juice, let it dissolve and somewhat thicken, drink. That's it. Do that once a day and the gelatin will work on rebuilding the cushion in the joints that breaks down with age/injury. The consistency of the juice is odd, the gelatin does not dissolve all the way, but it is totally drinkable. Have my dad doing that right now to help with his hip & knee as well as my brother for arthritis he has developed in his knee. Don't waste your money on the 'special' packaging Knox has come up with for this therapy, the box with the 30 packets is the same stuff and cheaper. If you don't mind, friend me and keep me posted on how all this works for you. The Curcumin should bring relief in a month or so depending on how severe the inflammation is and the Knox will be a longer term therapy for all joints.
  • ScrappyKat
    ScrappyKat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have bursitis in both my shoulders. Sleeping is impossible anymore, my nerves are also damaged. Bang one arm and the other one hurts just as much. Even moving my body quickly causes agony.

I was having some physio, but when she started on stretching my arms, the pain was agonising for over a week and I was too afraid to go back. And bloody expensive.

I'd love to try zumba but am too scared to even try it for fear of being in pain. I'm not getting any exercise at the moment.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    One therapy exercise that did seem to help and I still do (hope I can explain it!) - lay on your back, bend the leg of the hip that DOES NOT hurt so that your foot is flat on the floor, cross the leg of the hip that DOES hurt in front of the bent leg, grab the bent leg and gently pull it towards your chest to where you feel the stretch across the back of the top of the leg of the hurting hip down into the glute almost to the lower back. I stress GENTLY in the pulling of the bent leg, you are working on stretching out the muscles and ligaments in that joint to loosen things up a bit and take some of the strain off. I usually do both legs just to keep things even :)

I have chronic hip pain also. THIS stretch is a great one to help. I try to do it every morning and then before and after I run. It really helps! I also ice my hip after exercise.

Hope this helps~
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Another thing that helps with joint issues overall, but requires patience for results, is Knox gelatin. Learned about this years ago and have seen it help several folks over the years. One friend couldn't walk upstairs w/o severe pain but after 7 - 8 months of diligently doing the gelatin, was taking the stairs! Real simple - get the Knox gelatin in the packets (usually a box of 30), put one in 6 - 8 oz of juice, let it dissolve and somewhat thicken, drink. That's it. Do that once a day and the gelatin will work on rebuilding the cushion in the joints that breaks down with age/injury. The consistency of the juice is odd, the gelatin does not dissolve all the way, but it is totally drinkable. Have my dad doing that right now to help with his hip & knee as well as my brother for arthritis he has developed in his knee. Don't waste your money on the 'special' packaging Knox has come up with for this therapy, the box with the 30 packets is the same stuff and cheaper. If you don't mind, friend me and keep me posted on how all this works for you. The Curcumin should bring relief in a month or so depending on how severe the inflammation is and the Knox will be a longer term therapy for all joints.

Hi. I live in NZ so I haven't seen Knox gelatin but here we have Davis gelatine that comes in a 125g box and under ingredients says: gelatine derived from beef skin, Preservative 220. Would this be the same as your Knox gelatin? Where did you find out about using gelatin for bursitis? Cheers :)