Is this too much of exercise?

Options
I go to the gym 6 days a week in the morning. I do the elliptical for an hour. Then strength training/floor exercises for 1-1.5hrs. That's from the gym. Then in the evening, I go for brisk walking (3 - 3.5 miles/hr) at the park close to my home for an hour.
I enjoy doing all this. But, when I told this to one of my friends, she said it's too much of exercise & it will effect my joints. Is that true?

EDIT:
I weigh 167 lbs. Height: 5 2"
Female, 27 yrs old

Replies

• AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    Is your friend overweight?

No it's not to much, it's more than you need but not to much.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    How are you feeling? First signs of overtraining is fatigued, but it all really depends on your intensity levels and whether your CNS (Central Nervous System) is coping.

Do you deel energetic or a bit run down?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It might be, it might not be. We'd have to know a lot more to even guess.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you're enjoying working that much then I would say no. Im physically active for longer than that every day and it's not considered too much. Try and mix your workouts up a little so you don't get stale.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Well...you are taking a rest day, so that's good. You should strength train on weights every other day so your muscles have time to repair. I remember "back in the day" when I was a member of the YMCA someone would joke that I had a cot in the ladie's lockerroom! Sure could use some of that again!! I can relate to your enjoyment of exercise.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You friend needs to get up off her tushie. Have you ever looked at the exercise log of an elite athlete?
  • yellowpear
    yellowpear Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    She is a little overweight. But I am heavy. I wonder if it is of concern if I exercise like this with my current weight. I do love to do it even though occassionally I feel tired. I started out 1 month back with 1 hour of brisk walking at the park (not regular). This month I joined the gym.
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can also alternate muscle groups if you really want to do strength training every day. We do shoulders and back one day, biceps triceps another and legs and lower back the third day. I think you're doing a great job!
  • yellowpear
    Options

She is a little overweight. But I am heavy. I wonder if it is of concern if I exercise like this with my current weight. I do love to do it even though occassionally I feel tired. I started out 1 month back with 1 hour of brisk walking at the park (not regular). This month I joined the gym.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's not too much if your body feels ok with it, but it's more than I would have time for. I would ditch the elliptical, but then I think it's boring and a little pointless. If you enjoy it, then keep on with it.
  • yellowpear
    Options
    How are you feeling? First signs of overtraining is fatigued, but it all really depends on your intensity levels and whether your CNS (Central Nervous System) is coping.

Do you deel energetic or a bit run down?

Initially I used to feel tired sometimes. I started out a month back with only brisk walking but not regular. This month I joined the gym. Now I am doing both regularly 6 days in a week.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Doing strength training for longer than 60 minutes is detrimental as your glycogen levels have been depleted and your body will start to use muscle and fat, known as catabolism which will only end a smaller fat version of you aka skinny fat...

Ideally you want to retain as much muscle mass as possible which will help burn calories even when you rest.

So my advice is to take it easy and don't overdo and make sure you get plenty of rest...

Just to give you an idea how my schedule looks like:
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Lower Body Strength Training
    Wednesday - Upper Body Strength Training
    Thursday - Light Cardio to loosen legs (20 min Incline brisk walk)
    Friday - Cardio ( 20 min HIIT)
    Saturday - Lower Body Strength Training
    Sunday - Upper Body Strength Training
  • yellowpear
    Options
    Well...you are taking a rest day, so that's good. You should strength train on weights every other day so your muscles have time to repair. I remember "back in the day" when I was a member of the YMCA someone would joke that I had a cot in the ladie's lockerroom! Sure could use some of that again!! I can relate to your enjoyment of exercise.

The instructor have split up my exercise this way:
    day 1 - aims Upper body muscles
    day 2 - aims Lower body muscles
    day 3 - Floor exercises

She had split up the cardio as 20 mins - Threadmil, 20 mins - Elliptical, 10 mins - Cycling. I used to follow this regime when I joined. But then I started to feel more at ease with the elliptical & I also found that the elliptical burns more calories than any other machines. Even though I sometimes feel tired, I get a good satisfaction from it. I hope I amnot doing wrong..
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    The instructor have split up my exercise this way:
    day 1 - aims Upper body muscles
    day 2 - aims Lower body muscles
    day 3 - Floor exercises

She had split up the cardio as 20 mins - Threadmil, 20 mins - Elliptical, 10 mins - Cycling. I used to follow this regime when I joined. But then I started to feel more at ease with the elliptical & I also found that the elliptical burns more calories than any other machines. Even though I sometimes feel tired, I get a good satisfaction from it. I hope I amnot doing wrong..

It's a lot better as you ideally want to raise your heart rate for 20 mins, when you are ready you can start with HIIT which is one of the best cardio exercises out there...spinning is considered to be HIIT but won't recommend it to beginners, I can hardly walk after a 45 minute spinning session.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Your young so your muscles might not object yet. Its great you have that much time. Alternate groups day to day if you can.
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options

Then maybe she doesn't want you to lose weight, because if you are larger than her she will feel better being the 'skinny' friend once you shrink maybe it will highlight her weight battle.

You do what YOU feel comfortable doing, if you healthy enough to exercise that much then kudos to you, keep on pumping and keep on shrinking :)
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hey if you have the time and it's not tiring you out, then I say go for it. Just stop when you feel it's too much. I wish I had that kind of time, so good for you.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Doing strength training for longer than 60 minutes is detrimental as your glycogen levels have been depleted and your body will start to use muscle and fat, known as catabolism which will only end a smaller fat version of you aka skinny fat...

Ideally you want to retain as much muscle mass as possible which will help burn calories even when you rest.

Out of interest, how is this affected by doing, for example, 45mins weights followed by 60mins cardio?
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already given you really good advice- but I say, listen to your body. I push hard 6 days a week and people always tell me it's too much too. Well, for me, that one hour aerobics class is not enough every day. The harder I push, the better condition I get into, the more I can do. Maybe for "those other people" it is too much- but once you're conditioned to do more, your body does it with ease.

Listening to your body is the main thing- if you hurt, if you are tired or fatigued, if something is feeling sore- then slow down- if your body is handling it fine- go for it!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My only concern is that you seem to have jumped into this amount of exercise pretty quickly and might burn out on it too quickly.
    Otherwise, if your body doesn't hurt and you aren't feeling fatigued, keep rocking!