Jewel vs Walmart?

Options
Where do all of you lovely, thin friends ;] shop for produce? I plan on buying a lot of groceries tomorrow, including fruits and veggies, but I'm debating where to go for the fruits and veggies. I know Wal-Mart, without a doubt, has better prices for produce [frozen dinners, snacks, etc.] but I've never brought produce from them. Any advice? Anyone know is Wal-Mart's produce prices are better than Jewel?

Replies

• Michelle9939
    Options
    I do all my shopping at Walmart. We do have Albertson's and Kroger in my area but I like Walmart.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Jewel. . I shop at Henry's Market Place. . . Costco, or superwalmart. . .Henrys is my fave for produce. . Although avocados are great at costco. lol
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i never buy produce or meat from wal mart... the quality isn't as good as the other stores in our area... if you have a safeway or a local chain i would go there.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    If there's a farmer's market near you, often you can find GREAT deals around the end of the day when they're packing up. I like either fresh/local farmers markets, or bulk (think Sams Club), next I hit Giant, but WalMart is pretty comparable and they're always open :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I do most of my grocery shopping from Walmart, but try very hard to avoid buying produce there. We have tons of "farmer's market" type places near us, like Sunflower Marker and Sprouts, and I always find much better produce for much better prices there. Walmart's produce has always been shadey in quality for us.
  • rdmchugh
    Options
    Do an internet search for farmer's markets in your area. The produce that is in season is less expensive than grocery stores and in my experience very good quality.
  • Eeanz
    Options
    i never buy produce or meat from wal mart... the quality isn't as good as the other stores in our area... if you have a safeway or a local chain i would go there.

I totally agree!!!
  • kportelli70
    Options
    I have never had good luck buying fruits or veggies at Wal-Mart. It's always nasty. I buy my fruits and veggies from the produce stores here.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I try to not buy produce from Walmart. Prices are low, but so is the quality.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Our Walmart has horrible produce. I prefer Kroger or Publix.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I do most of my grocery shopping from Walmart, but try very hard to avoid buying produce there. We have tons of "farmer's market" type places near us, like Sunflower Marker and Sprouts, and I always find much better produce for much better prices there. Walmart's produce has always been shadey in quality for us.

Agreed. . if you have a local farmers market they are wonderful. . great prices and fresh produce. .. And Fyi. . yes.. Our Henry's is changing the name to Sprouts right now.. love love love that store though.. I buy most of what i eat there
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    All my produce comes from Fred Meyer.. it is always fresh and delicious... when I use to buy from walmart I swear it would go bad within 3 days :-/
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I boycott Walmart. For many reasons. I grow my own and buy from Farmer's Markets and freeze, pickle and can like a demon in the summer to have good stuff for winter. Nothing is more important to me than what my family eats, and what Walmart sells does not win a spot on our plate.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Walmart will definitely be cheaper than Jewel but like others have said the quality will probably be lower as well for produce. I do not shop at Walmart anymore (I used to when I was in college and it was just easier for one stop shopping). Also. there are other reasons why I don't like to shop there. Now however, I shop at my local grocery store that has great produce and prices and usually get snacks/cereals from Target. They tend to have good sales on those kinds of food. Sometimes I shop at Jewel but they can be overpriced, you have to look out for sales especially the 10 for $10 sale.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I boycott Walmart. For many reasons. I grow my own and buy from Farmer's Markets and freeze, pickle and can like a demon in the summer to have good stuff for winter. Nothing is more important to me than what my family eats, and what Walmart sells does not win a spot on our plate.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I grow a few things, but I bought into an organic CSA club for the 2nd year in a row and it is lovely!!!

Farm raised meats, fresh free range eggs, vegetables and fruits in abundance - and sometimes fresh but wild flowers in my weekly box and its delivered straight to my door.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Are you from Chicago? I think we are the only ones that have Jewel.
    I wont shop at either one personally...
  • jakemg
    Options

We have Jewel here in Chicago, but everywhere else it's just called Safeway.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    My WalMart has real good produce and fruit as long as it's in season. But it's not always cheaper, I always check the competition WinCo.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options

We have Jewel here in Chicago, but everywhere else it's just called Safeway.

I think Safeway is Dominick's
  • jjbranc
    Options
    Jewel has better produce but I try to only buy what is on sale because it can be pricey. I have also had good luck with the produce at Meijer. This time of year I try to get locally grown things at the farmer's market.