Skinny fat

Options
What should I do to get in shape to get rid of skinny fat like what should I do cutt or bulk or eat in maintenance not sure if anyone has suggestions?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights has been very helpful for me. The threads I follow are the female ones. Maybe these guys can give you more direction.
    @sijomial
    @ninerbuff
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Back in July 2019 you had about 50lbs of excess weight to lose - so what has happened between then and now?

Then you were 5'9" and 16 stone (224lbs) - stats now?
    Have you been training consistently since then?
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Back in July 2019 you had about 50lbs of excess weight to lose - so what has happened between then and now?

I don't feel overweight but look Abit of fat on my stomach area and chest soft, I wouldn't have much muscle under neat sure haven't really got into weight lift properly in years back only trained for 4 to 6 months straight so no I don't have much muscle under neat my fat at the moment top of my chest I can feel my chest bones
  • sflano1783
    Options

By the way I'm down to 94.8kgs now
  • sflano1783
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »

Or 209lbs, 14st 13lbs.

You are still very overweight (just into the obese category in fact) so absolutely not skinny - skinny fat does not apply to you. More than likely under-muscled though if you aren't training.

Start training and eat in a sensible deficit to cut the fat, absolutely no way should you consider bulking and only consider maintaining if you are really happy well overweight. If you think you are an considerable outlier at that height and weight then maybe post a picture if you want a second opinion.

But going from your stats to get in shape you need to lose a lot of fat.

Yes I lost 1kg per month over 8 months last year 2020 is that good progress
  • sflano1783
    Options

Or 209lbs, 14st 13lbs.

You are still very overweight (just into the obese category in fact) so absolutely not skinny - skinny fat does not apply to you. More than likely under-muscled though if you aren't training.

Start training and eat in a sensible deficit to cut the fat, absolutely no way should you consider bulking and only consider maintaining if you are really happy well overweight. If you think you are an considerable outlier at that height and weight then maybe post a picture if you want a second opinion.

Then my weight went up again over Christmas by 2kgs but slowly going back down again I find if I eat more veg and meat and complex carbs stop me from snacking in a calorie deficit
  • sijomial
    Options

Or 209lbs, 14st 13lbs.

It's good but you have to keep it up.

FYI - I'm also 5'9", stocky build and maintain in a range 12st to 12st 7lbs and that is top end of healthy range to slightly into the overweight category for our height. I'm a long way from being skinny!
  • sflano1783
    Options

Or 209lbs, 14st 13lbs.

FYI - I'm also 5'9", stocky build and maintain in a range 12st to 12st 7lbs and that is top end of healthy range to slightly into the overweight category for our height. I'm a long way from being skinny!

Yeah the gyms are closed here in ireland due to lock down with Covid19
  • sflano1783
    Options
    waqfctxl93ll.jpg
  • sijomial
    Options

Or 209lbs, 14st 13lbs.

Ditto here in England, very frustrating.
    Keep on losing weight slowly and do whatever training you can do at home - bodyweight exercises and improvised weights or whatever weights you have available.
  • sflano1783
    Options

Or 209lbs, 14st 13lbs.

Ditto here in England, very frustrating.
    Keep on losing weight slowly and do whatever training you can do at home - bodyweight exercises and improvised weights or whatever weights you have available.

OK will do yeah I liv in small apartment so not much room to train or workout would walking do instead outside
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    Walking will build calf, maybe some thigh muscle, but it’s great for health and I found it very helpful for weight loss.

If that’s the only option you have available to you, consider running or power walking. I had to trade running in for power walking, due to a propensity to tangle my feet and take vicious falls while running. But what I found- and what my trainer earned me in advance- the power walking thinned me out. A lot. And -bonus- I enjoy it a lot more than running.

So if it’s a choice between doing nothing versu walking, at least walk.

There’s some body weight workouts online, and some program called prison workout or something that’s supposed to be effective without requiring equipment.

Can you order some bands, a Bosu ball, basic hand weights off amazon? Anything to keep you moving and active?

You’ve done an amazing job so far and TBH if you’re in the obese range you’re handling it well. Keep it up!!! The rewards are so.....rewarding, lol.
  • sflano1783
    Options
    Walking will build calf, maybe some thigh muscle, but it’s great for health and I found it very helpful for weight loss.

If that’s the only option you have available to you, consider running or power walking. I had to trade running in for power walking, due to a propensity to tangle my feet and take vicious falls while running. But what I found- and what my trainer earned me in advance- the power walking thinned me out. A lot. And -bonus- I enjoy it a lot more than running.

So if it’s a choice between doing nothing versu walking, at least walk.

There’s some body weight workouts online, and some program called prison workout or something that’s supposed to be effective without requiring equipment.

Can you order some bands, a Bosu ball, basic hand weights off amazon? Anything to keep you moving and active?

You’ve done an amazing job so far and TBH if you’re in the obese range you’re handling it well. Keep it up!!! The rewards are so.....rewarding, lol.

Thanks
  • NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading this thread
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Or 209lbs, 14st 13lbs.

Congrats on the weight loss so far.

You probably have a backpack. Fill it with some heavy *kitten*, (sand, dirt, rocks, gravel, etc works fine if you don't have any weight plates) put it on and go for a walk, preferably up some hills. Do you have a couple gym bags or suitcases? Take the heavy *kitten* out of the backpack, add some more and do farmers walks and suitcase carries.

Good luck.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can do strength training with bodyweight exercises and not have to buy any equipment to get a good workout...Darebee has some options for searching for strength/no equipment workouts, or you can google "prison strength workouts", "convict strength workouts" or "6x6 workouts" to find some ideas for workouts you can do to build strength with just about 36sq feet of floor space, a gorgeous human body, and some help from mother nature (gravity).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    waqfctxl93ll.jpg
    Based on this photo, I would have you on a calorie deficit plan along with a beginning program of lifting like Stronglifts where you only have to learn 5-6 compound movements. And just keep progressing on the resistance used as you adapt. If you don't have access to equipment you can still do body weight exercises that simulate the movements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sflano1783
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    waqfctxl93ll.jpg
    Based on this photo, I would have you on a calorie deficit plan along with a beginning program of lifting like Stronglifts where you only have to learn 5-6 compound movements. And just keep progressing on the resistance used as you adapt. If you don't have access to equipment you can still do body weight exercises that simulate the movements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

How much of a calorie deficit do you suggest