Stevia causes depression?

Options
2»

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Wheat is a depression trigger for me (gluten ataxia), so I definitely agree that different foods do different things to different people’s bodies!

I can do stevia in small amounts and have gotten used to the flavor (but I still can’t stand it mixed in with tea bags/loose tea - blech!). One Zevia soda every other day or so, sipped on, not guzzled is OK. A little TruLemonade sprinkled in my unsweetened tea is OK as well.

I have tried to get used to monk fruit, that flavor is far worse to me... almost gag worthy. Different palates as well!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've been depressed no matter the sweetener i use; sugar, stevia, or artificial. my symptoms are not better or worse either way
  • bb_twins
    bb_twins Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is just propaganda or hype or actual scientifically-sound information - but I have read and heard that a lot of the side effects of artificial sweeteners are because your body doesn’t know it’s not sugar (glucose).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Your body isn't a knowing entity - it doesn't know anything.

I'm sure some people get side effects from some artificial sweeteners. I have known people for whom aspartame is a migraine trigger.
    I've known other people who get migraines from MSG - migraine triggers are varied and individual.

But that's the same with natural foods - people get hives from oranges, anaphylactic reactions to seafood, peanuts, etc

If that is you,sure, avoid the problem substance. Obviously.

For everyone else, consume or don't consume according to personal preference.

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bb_twins wrote: »
    Not sure if this is just propaganda or hype or actual scientifically-sound information - but I have read and heard that a lot of the side effects of artificial sweeteners are because your body doesn’t know it’s not sugar (glucose).

My experience says it is true - when i first switched to splenda , two packets was plenty in my 16oz cup of coffee. a year later, I was adding 6 packets to the same cup of coffee to achieve the 'correct sense of sweet'.
    It took a friend observing this change and speaking up. I stopped using it that day and learned to like my coffee black with no sweetener.

I can't say enough for the benefit of cutting refined sugar and sugar substitutes out of my food. I get my sweet fix from fruit mostly, but enjoy ice cream once in a while. The less sugar I consume, the smaller a portion I need to satisfy the sweet craving. that's me. might work for others.
  • momwish007
    momwish007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am using stevia sweeteners for years. I don't think that it has any health side effects.
    https://www.highratedgabru.com/monk-fruit-sweeteners/
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    bb_twins wrote: »

My experience says it is true - when i first switched to splenda , two packets was plenty in my 16oz cup of coffee. a year later, I was adding 6 packets to the same cup of coffee to achieve the 'correct sense of sweet'.
    It took a friend observing this change and speaking up. I stopped using it that day and learned to like my coffee black with no sweetener.

I can't say enough for the benefit of cutting refined sugar and sugar substitutes out of my food. I get my sweet fix from fruit mostly, but enjoy ice cream once in a while. The less sugar I consume, the smaller a portion I need to satisfy the sweet craving. that's me. might work for others.

yes I know this is old bumped up thread B)

but yes, I think this is just you.

My husband has used Equal sweeteners for years - hasnt changed from 2 tablets per cuppa in all that time.

and most people who like one or two tsps of sugar in cuppa's dont progress to more - if they did you would have lots of older people having 5 or 6 tsps per cup - but you don't.