What are your hobbies??

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Does eating large quantities of sushi and sushi related items count as a hobby or ... nah? :lol:
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    Oh, H E double hockeysticks yeah!

I love me some rolls and nigiri.

Ika, tako, kura, albacore, unagi...

There is only one thing I miss by living in the country and that is fresh sushi and sashimi.
  • KosmosKitten
    tmantwo wrote: »

There is only one thing I miss by living in the country and that is fresh sushi and sashimi.

I see you are somewhat adventurous in your meat choices. Not many would eat squid or octopus unless it was deep fried first. :lol:

I like most forms, but can definitely say that natto (fermented soybeans) and nasubi (pickled eggplant) are two I do not care to repeat. They are definitely an acquired taste. All others are delicious. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

I see you are somewhat adventurous in your meat choices. Not many would eat squid or octopus unless it was deep fried first. :lol:

I like most forms, but can definitely say that natto (fermented soybeans) and nasubi (pickled eggplant) are two I do not care to repeat. They are definitely an acquired taste. All others are delicious. :)

Wow, so many things I've never tried. :( I've definitely lived the sheltered life.
  • LGS_RFS
    LGS_RFS Posts: 78 Member

Natto is definitely an acquired taste. The only thing that ruins it for me is the texture which is weird since I’m able to eat almost anything with a similar texture. Flavor wise adding a little soy sauce helped me tolerate it longer.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,570 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I like to putter, especially in the mornings before anyone else is up. With my bikes, with my fish tank, with my watches, whatever.

I also like watching/observing things, especially nature. I'm a curious person by nature, and observing things is a great way to learn and often helps me stay grounded.

Putter! I love that :D
  • KosmosKitten
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Wow, so many things I've never tried. :( I've definitely lived the sheltered life.

To be fair, I lived in Japan for three years. Natto and nasubi were common there, but I have only, to date, seen ONE place that offers natto in the U.S. (and that's here in MS, oddly) and no place that offers nasubi. The squid (ika), BBQ eel (unagi) and urchin (uni) can be found at most sushi dives in the U.S. now. I used to be strictly an "unagi" and "roll" type person, but as I've gotten older, I guess my tastes have changed and I'm able to eat things I probably would have (rudely) gagged on before (raw tuna comes to mind).

If you're ever in a sushi joint and feeling adventurous, give one of them a try sometime. :)
  • KosmosKitten
    LGS_RFS wrote: »

Natto is definitely an acquired taste. The only thing that ruins it for me is the texture which is weird since I’m able to eat almost anything with a similar texture. Flavor wise adding a little soy sauce helped me tolerate it longer.

For me, it was the smell. It is my husband's favorite sashimi choice, though. :neutral:
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited November 2020
    ^ very good explanation @KosmosKitten. I only visited Japan and wasn't there long unfortunately. I'm jealous of you.

It's hard to find a good sushi place. Where I was at, Fujia House was clutch. It was the best in area IMHO.

Any of yous around Quantico, I'd highly recommend heading down and checking them out. Superb. I had their old and new menu with everything I ate there noted with what i liked and disliked about it. It's packed away but there is only one thing I gave a semi-down arrow to.
  • NigelNi35
    NigelNi35 Posts: 53 Member
    Charcandrick West Autograph. Nice looking card.

lkw3pyitjcov.jpg
  • Kindhearts30
    Kindhearts30 Posts: 1,723 Member
    photography =)
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Guitar playing - lots of guitar playing! Pre-Covid, me and my better half would regularly go to gigs - now we binge watch crime documentaries indoors!
  • ReenieHJ
    Embroidering Christmas stockings (Thinking hopeful thoughts for the season 2021 :))
    Going to check into crocheting again; it's been years.
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Flying, hiking, archery, hunting, traveling, and reading. Just recently taking up scuba diving and trying my hand at welding.
  • ReenieHJ
    I think I have too many hobbies for me to get particularly good at any of them! Art, literature, philosophy, geneology and history, anthropology, hiking, health, interior design, cooking and food, old arcade games, antiques, Italian language, etc.

My problem is if I don't have success past a certain point I give up too easily. :( I should remember we don't have to seek perfection, just enjoyment, out of hobbies. :/

All your hobbies are interesting; keep at it!

I've delved into genealogy awhile back and found it to obsess me but I loved doing it. I really need to get back there and find more information. Any suggestions of sites to search? I've looked on many so get a lot of emails. One I get is from Familysearch(I believe that's the Mormon site?) which has been helpful a bit BUT, for instance, my SIL does research there and adds things such as foster families(not biological info that I'm looking for) and it messes me up. :/ Is having a good DNA test worth it and put you in touch with others that potentially are part of your family tree? I took a cheapie and it was disappointing; it didn't give any info that helped.
    Sorry for all the ??? :blush:
  • mjwilson0246
    mjwilson0246 Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2021
    r97mq0mwd6y0.jpeg

Disc golf. A pic of my first hole-in-one!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I think I have too many hobbies for me to get particularly good at any of them! Art, literature, philosophy, geneology and history, anthropology, hiking, health, interior design, cooking and food, old arcade games, antiques, Italian language, etc.

My problem is if I don't have success past a certain point I give up too easily. :( I should remember we don't have to seek perfection, just enjoyment, out of hobbies. :/

All your hobbies are interesting; keep at it!

I've delved into genealogy awhile back and found it to obsess me but I loved doing it. I really need to get back there and find more information. Any suggestions of sites to search? I've looked on many so get a lot of emails. One I get is from Familysearch(I believe that's the Mormon site?) which has been helpful a bit BUT, for instance, my SIL does research there and adds things such as foster families(not biological info that I'm looking for) and it messes me up. :/ Is having a good DNA test worth it and put you in touch with others that potentially are part of your family tree? I took a cheapie and it was disappointing; it didn't give any info that helped.
    Sorry for all the ??? :blush:

If you do the dna tests that include your dna matches, it does help a lot, especially if you can access the family trees! I think it depends on where the families are from, though. I haven't been able to find much in Ireland because there's too many people in my family with the same names. My dad is supposedly 90% Irish! What really helps me, for finding my mom's American anscestors, is researching the PLACES and events because people married into the same families a lot, within their area, in the 1700s and 1800s and usually moved because of some event or new type of job. I like the findagrave website, but I've done most research at the library looking up documents and stuff. It does get addictive because I keep finding new pieces to the puzzle.

Thanks!! :)
    Think I'm going to invest in a more expensive dna test because I'm pretty sure my test didn't include dna matches :( and see what it comes up with. :) My tree gets complicated because my mom was adopted in the 20's and everything was sealed or hushed up back then. I've also found a lot of misspellings in names.
  • woollenmonarch
    woollenmonarch Posts: 152 Member
    My newest pandemic hobby is growing a beard and shaving it

Also experimented with not brushing teeth and showering for more than 3 days and Amazon prime delivery lady said I smelled
  • Pencil_legs
    Pencil_legs Posts: 75 Member
    My hobbies include but are not limited to...

Hiking 🚶‍♂️⛰
    Camping 🏕
    Kayaking 🛶
    Dancing 🕺
    Video 📹 games 🎮

I'm also a licensed drone pilot, so I enjoy photography 📷📸🖼

• Cheezhead1976
    Cheezhead1976 Posts: 492 Member
    Writing
    And being awkward.