walking in public...

Options
I have an amazing bikepath near where I live. Sometimes I walk with my boyfriend and sometimes I walk on my own. I have noticed that about 25% of the time I go out walking I get some person yell something at me out of the car, and on a couple walks I got a certain finger flashed at me. Does anyone else have this problem? I just ignore it and keep walking bc they aren't worth quitting.

Replies

• amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use a trail too but I have never had this problem. I find that the people on the trail are the friendliest. I would get an ipod so you can't hear the horrible people and don't look at cars as they go buy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Wave and smile. They are looking for a "bad" reaction from you. That's where they get their kicks. If you wave and smile, they didn't achieve that.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make sense why these idiots would be yelling or flipping you off if you are on a dedicated walk/bike trail.
    Just ignore the haters.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have this problem too but it's more like wolf-whistling and stuff like that. There's nothing you can do really except ignore them and not be phased by it which is difficult.They are just idiots.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention that, I actually had that problem last fall semester I was walking to class. I got random honks, no finger or anything. I don't know why they do it. I haven't had that issue yet. I just ignore them. It's not like I'm walking in the street obstructing traffic. I want to say the only reason it happened to me is because I'm in a "college town."
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    what!? ... hm ... WHY would anyone do that!? I don't know. Perhaps they're thinking you're someone they know & don't like? I believe I'd kind of notice the car & license plate - IF it keeps happening & is the same car, call the police - report menacing or stalking or something - that's just uncalled for
    I live in the ghetto of Cincinnati - literally the ghetto - but it has a walking path & that doesn't happen here (far as I know) Nobody messes with walkers or bicyclists either but I'm pretty sure we have laws about that

got your phone with you? next time, take a picture - I take a picture of ANY activity I don't like, obnoxious ppl at the pool etc - boy, it stops IMMEDIATELY
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Now that I think of it they might be jealous you know how to walk while they're being lazy butts and driving everywhere.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I walk a trail sometimes and I've gotten the compleate oposite ,nice ppl telling me good Job. I wouldn't let it get to you they are low people if the have to get satisfaction yelling at ppl as they cowardly drive by . I'm sure your doing a great job :)
  • kklemencic
    Options
    Ignore them, you are out there for you and no one else! But a smile and a hello back really throws these kind of people off, it's the last thing they are expecting from their actions. They hope to bring you down don't let them, pat yourself on the back for getting out and doing something good for yourself. Keep walking and stay safe.
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to have people yell things out their window to me. Once I was riding my bike home from work (14 miles) and someone yelled, "You're going to have to try harder than that!" Another time I was walking and someone yelled out "Call 1-800-GO-JENNY" or whatever the Jenny Craig number was at the time. I also had someone call me a Fatass while I was jogging. They all hurt. I never understood why someone was yelling at me while I was exercising. Even if I was sitting on the curb eating a pile of hotdogs they don't have the right to say hurtful things to me.

People are dumb. Sometimes you just have to let that stuff go. I usually wind up feeling sorry for them. I'm lucky to have grown up with family and friends who don't treat people that way. I haven't had anyone say anything to me in a long time. Just keep on keeping on and don't let it bother you. Be confident. Don't let them keep you from doing something that you want to do. Keep up the good work. :)
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    How rude! Can I ask where you live? I couldn't imagine that being a regular occurrence! Maybe find a different trail that isn't near the street? Not that you should have to alter your workout so people don't harass you. I'm shocked! The only place that happens in my hometown is in campus with drunk college kids- even then I don't think it is that common. (I"m in small town Iowa though)
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they're yelling bad things? Because...when I walk or run alone...even though I feel like I look terrible sometimes....guys are still shouting some pretty ..ummm....inappropriate things. Turn them into encouragement...or just really listen next time.....might be your own mind playing tricks on you. Took my husband running a few feet ahead of me and hearing said "inappropriate sayings" and then letting me know it wasn't all immature jerks....but some were praises.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    when i'm biking, i hate when people are walking on my bike path. yeah, the bike path. it's mine. but only with walkers. runners are ok. but walkers, especially in a group, kill me when i'm on my bike.

can't you just use the side walk if you are just going for a leisurely walk??
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    engineman - best quote in your signature! I love Louie.

edit to add: OP, these people are jerks, they are not worth your worry!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing bikepath near where I live. Sometimes I walk with my boyfriend and sometimes I walk on my own. I have noticed that about 25% of the time I go out walking I get some person yell something at me out of the car, and on a couple walks I got a certain finger flashed at me. Does anyone else have this problem? I just ignore it and keep walking bc they aren't worth quitting.

Unfortunately you live in a part of the world where evolution is lagging. I would strongly urge moving away, but in the meantime, just keep plugging along.
  • Meg2012
    Meg2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When people do things, it's more about them and less about you. They're just "showing off" their IQ.

Headphones are my best friend if I'm walking alone. But we have a group that goes walking together. Maybe meet some of your neighbors and invite them walking with you?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have my ipod cranked up so I don't hear what anyone says to me. The best thing to do is to ignore them, they just want to get you upset and provoke a reaction. If you don't listen to music while out there...you should. If you're out there with someone else forgo the music that day but when you're by yourself it'll keep you motivated and you won't hear any comments that are hurled at you.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I use a trail too but I have never had this problem. I find that the people on the trail are the friendliest. I would get an ipod so you can't hear the horrible people and don't look at cars as they go buy.

That's a good idea! I always wear sunglasses too because then they can't see my eyes, I feel protected a bit that way.
    isn't it awful? I have had people shout nasty things. once it made me angry enough to respond with my own nasty stuff. then i felt awful because there was a mom walking with her little ones, and I had used some bad words. :sad:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    when i'm biking, i hate when people are walking on my bike path. yeah, the bike path. it's mine. but only with walkers. runners are ok. but walkers, especially in a group, kill me when i'm on my bike.

The paths are built for everyone--and they are paid for by everyone's taxes. They are for general recreation--not your private use. Most recreational bike paths are ill-suited for serious training. That being said, anyone who uses a multi-use recreational path should respect the needs of the other users. That means that walkers and runners need to be aware of the traffic around them, not block the entire path while they saunter along conversing, be aware of kids and dogs, etc.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

The paths are built for everyone--and they are paid for by everyone's taxes. They are for general recreation--not your private use. Most recreational bike paths are ill-suited for serious training. That being said, anyone who uses a multi-use recreational path should respect the needs of the other users. That means that walkers and runners need to be aware of the traffic around them, not block the entire path while they saunter along conversing, be aware of kids and dogs, etc.

Ditto to what Azdak said! Also...the 'bike path' near me has a speed limit and it's truly no good for people who race competatively. The guy I'm dating refuses to use the path for anything but running...he takes his road bike out on the road...where it is meant to be used.