Getting Started and Curious

Hey Everyone,
I am currently counting calories, but am curious on the recommended Diet Plans that everyone else are doing and what you all would recommen...Currently have not seen a whole lot of progress with Weight Loss but feel I also need to be more PATIENT :) Haha. Would appreciate any advice!!! Thank you all!!!

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    You're already on the way as patience is key regardless of how you choose to eat to better manage your weight and fitness goals.

There are MANY threads in the forums with people following specific eating guidelines. There are likely just as many with people eating whatever the heck the want as long as it meets their energy requirements.
  • StephReed8884
    StephReed8884 Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you for responding and I agree that Patience is very important to becoming Healthier/Weight Loss!!! Something I do need to work on from time to time Haha, but in the end I know that If I stick to exercising and eating healthier it will pay off!!!
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    As MaltedTea says, there are many different ways of eating that work with MFP. One thread you might be interested in is this one: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10806436/what-do-you-notice-what-do-you-wonder/p1
    Patience is key, as is accurately logging. But figuring out a way of eating that works best for you might take a little bit of experimenting, and will likely be different than what works best for someone else.
    Best of luck, and welcome to MFP :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    The plan that will work best is the one you can live with. Many people on mfp have had great success with a variety of ways of eating. Most of them won't work for me. I figured out years ago that my downfall is portion control for meals and snacking. I can have all of the same foods I've always eaten, I just can't mindlessly eat them.

Try not to overcomplicate this. Make it as easy as you can. Make small changes that you can live with forever. As you get used to them, make a few more. It would be great if this was a fast process, but fast results are not usually lasting, other than the sad side effects. I have found it helpful to look longer term for the weight LOSS part of this, knowing that when I'm at the weight MAINTENANCE part, it won't be much of a change for me.

In any case, you're here and that's a great start! There are lots of people with knowledge and experience to share. You can learn a lot from them and save yourself making the mistakes that so many of us have made when we started. Good luck and welcome!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I eat what I want if it fits in my calories (and sometimes if it doesn't).

my problem with 'diets' - of any variety- is how long could I be happy on it and adhere to it, would I rebel against feeling restricted on items that were 'okay', and assuming I DID stay on it for the duration of my weight loss, would I be able to MAINTAIN my weight after stopping.

I think those 3 things ar the pitfalls with any 'diet'

Instead, of a diet, create a new 'way of eating' for yourself. One that will last a lifetime. and a lifetime includes holidays and special occasions, eating out, etc. I EAT the same things I always have. There may be SOME replacements/substitutions, but not many, and none that I have a problem with keeping long term.

Last week was my birthday. I had dinner out with hubby. Had lunch out with a friend. Didnt get to the gym most of the week because of an issue on our farm, then a day out of town with my friend. At the end of the week, even with all of that, and eating 2 or 3 pieces of cake .... my weight was STILL down (after the water weight from the eating out subsided).
  • StephReed8884
    StephReed8884 Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you all for responding and for the great advice!!! The one thing I am trying to not do is get discouraged when I feel like I should be farther along, but I keep reminding myself that I am exercising more and drinking 64 oz. Of water daily now, which would have been unheard of for me :). Looking for little blessings to be grateful for and just taking things one day at a time :).