Jumpstart weight loss again... Any tips?

Options
Hey guys! I've had a rough few weeks lately as I'm currently stuck in a binge/starve cycle. I'm trying to get myself out and work towards finding a balance again, but the number on the scale is really screwing with my head. I'm up about 4 pounds from my average weight (156 -- during all these binge/starve fluctuations) and up 9 pounds from my lowest weight, meaning I'm 159ish right now. This number is extremely scary to me as 159 is the point where my weight goes from the "healthy" category to the "over-weight" category and as someone who started morbidly obese, this means a lot. As scary as that number is to me, part of me (the bingeing part I guess, haha) sees that I'm gaining weight like crazy and figures an extra 1000 calories each time I binge isn't going to matter. So now my "average" weight is inching up and up (it was 154).

Anyways, my point is that I'm going on vacation next Friday for a week. I've been planning and looking forward to this for months and months. I want to be able to go and enjoy myself with my family without counting calories or "dieting." I don't plan on stuffing myself silly with junk, but I don't plan on eating ONLY salads and grilled chicken the entire time either, you know? The thing is... I KNOW I won't be able to enjoy myself if I step on the scale this Thursday or Friday before I leave and see that I'm still 159, because I KNOW I'll be in the 160s when I get back. That's such a no-no for me. Once I got out of the 160s, I vowed to never return. This trip isn't about food to me, but if I get tempted to restrict/fast next week, all I will be able to think about is food. However, if I leave weighing 153 or 154 pounds and come back weighing 159, I think I'll be able to deal with this easier.

Now that I've got all that explained, here's what I'm looking for:

-tips on getting rid of binge weight fast and then some (because I'm pretty sure I haven't gained actual weight)
-maybe a short "detox diet" (for lack of better words)/ meal plan

It might sound silly to you guys, but I'm very, very scale-oriented so I don't mind if it's only water weight I'm losing at the moment. It's just a mental barrier that I've developed over the course of my weight-loss "journey."

Can anybody help?

Replies

• meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but if any of us had a quick fix that worked, we wouldn't be here. Also, it sounds like you're looking for another plan to replace either starvation or binge eating.

You should re-vamp the way you look at food. Don't relegate yourself to ''only'' salad and salmon, but choose healthier options that you like. You can also split a dessert after dinner, no biggie. DO NOT get cake with a scoop of ice cream on the side just for you. It's not easy, but you need to think about changing your perspective for the long term.

Maybe this vacation is the perfect time to eat ín moderation. Don't think about the scale, but think about how you want to look. If it helps, bring a small notebook to write down what you eat. Even if you aren't recording the calories, just the act of writing every bite can be helpful.

In the end, remind yourself how hard you've worked, and that you don't want to be overweight again. Good Luck!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Options
    Hi there,

It sounds like you might have issues that go way beyond losing a bit of weight so you're under a number on the scale. Have you had counselling or group therapy or any kind of help for the 'binge/starve' thing? Have you got some support you can call on? Failing anything else, I suggest some soul searching to work out what is motivating your behaviour - have you got unmet needs or unacknowledged feelings that need dealing with?

Losing lots of weight fast so that you can indulge a bit on holiday doesn't sound like the healthiest of ideas to me...

Good luck with your journey! :)
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Have you fasted before? If you can last the entire day, you can try fasting on alternating days. If not, you can go on a severe calorie restriction for 2-3 days then eat at maintenance for a day.
    Yeah, you'll probably have mood swings and feel like crap.

And what exactly are you planning on doing on your vacation that you expect to gain 5 pounds in a week?!? You would have to be eating 1500 calories above maintenance every single day :o
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    And what exactly are you planning on doing on your vacation that you expect to gain 5 pounds in a week?!? You would have to be eating 1500 calories above maintenance every single day :o

That whole 3500 calories = 1 pound thing is true, but it doesn't really apply. If someone ate 3500 calories above their maintenance in one day, they could expect to be up 3-4 pounds the next. There's fluid retention and food weight and bloating and all sorts of other influences. That's why I expect I'll "gain" 5 pounds.

And Eleanorjanethin -- I have non-purging bulimia; I've just begun seeing a psychiatrist. It's not like I want to lose 10 pounds of fat in 3 days ;) I just thought someone my have tips on reducing "binge/water weight" so I might sleep better at night. Lol.
  • GPB1
    GPB1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I try using the "plate" method, where 1/2 the plate is fruits and/or veggies, 1/4 protein and 1/4 starch. Balancing the intake seems to help me avoid bingeing. And drink plenty of water.
  • Jesung
    Options
    Fair enough.
    One thing you can try is to not eat breakfast. Just drink coffee instead.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

That whole 3500 calories = 1 pound thing is true, but it doesn't really apply. If someone ate 3500 calories above their maintenance in one day, they could expect to be up 3-4 pounds the next. There's fluid retention and food weight and bloating and all sorts of other influences. That's why I expect I'll "gain" 5 pounds.

And Eleanorjanethin -- I have non-purging bulimia; I've just begun seeing a psychiatrist. It's not like I want to lose 10 pounds of fat in 3 days ;) I just thought someone my have tips on reducing "binge/water weight" so I might sleep better at night. Lol.

Restricting leads to bingeing. It's as simple as that. Eat a sensible amount of calories, focus on food that will keep you full longer like proteins and complex carbs. Don't forget your fruit and veggies and treat yourself every once in a while.

Don't try to "jump start" your weight loss. If you are a bulimic and wants to get better, you HAVE to do this the healthy/slow way. These are not my words, but the words of my former therapist, who had been working with people with EDs for 10 years...
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. I understand your deep need to see the number on the scale move, I do. Dropping the weight fast is not your solution, it's your problem. I see you have lost a lot of weight, I did too. Getting trapped in that binge/starve cycle SUCKS. I know you probably don't want this answer but you need to back up, breathe deep and get control. You do that by going back to your standard, regular weight loss calories.

You are actually contributing to the scale going up with all the binfe/starving.

You might make a deal with yuorself to do one week of standard calories and a little extra exercise and stay off the scale. I know that is hard to do. or you could go to every other day off the scale. For me getting on the scale and seeing the numbe rup can lead to bingeing. If you can break the cycle in any way that will help.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Fair enough.
    I would always eat breakfast. Get's your body the fuel to start the day and metabolism up to burn calories through the day. It doesn't have to be big, maybe an apple or breakfast bar/shake.

Any quick fix you do is just mental. Just like eating 3500 calories in one day might show a gain of 4-5lbs that isn't "True Weight", any quick weight loss will be the same, just in the other direction. It sounds like if you are 154, you are giving yourself permission to eat poorly while on vacation. Maybe add in some exercise to burn the extra calories you might consume.
  • Meg2012
    Meg2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A note of warning, that I'm sure you'll see echoed throughout this thread: The quick fix is what causes you to binge! And trust me, I've been (almost) where you are.

***The binge is the rebound of starvation mode.*** Read that again.

Keep that sentence with you. Let it remind you to not starve yourself, and your body wont go into binge mode. Darlin' you have a thinking problem, not a weight problem. But it's ok, if you do the work to change the way you think, you'll be healthier and you'll just naturally find a healthy weight.

Ok, vacation thing 1: Allow yourself coffee in the morning, but otherwise, stick to water or tea for your beverages all day. Don't drink your calories.

Vacaton thing 2: If you stay mostly vegetarian on the trip, you'll likely still lose weight. Learn about what veggies have the most protein. When you eat meat, keep it chicken, turkey, or fish.

Vacation thing 3: If you know the restaurants that you will be near or will likely go to, use your food issue to your advantage, and pre-plan. When you know the healthiest stuff on the menu, you can plan ahead what to order.

Vacation thing 4: Nothing fried. If someone else you're with orders fries, allow yourself a nibble so you don't feel deprived. Same with desert. You don't order it, but allow yourself a few fork fulls of something shared.

Vacation thing 5: NO scales. NO weigh ins, I mean it!!!! Save it for when you get home, but just know you're picking healthy when you're eating.

Vacation thing 6: Keep a veggie like carrots with you at all times. When you start feeling hungry, take a nibble. You'll never get ravenous enough to binge.

Vacation thing 7: Eat breakfast. Egg white omelet, fruit, toast, coffee. Keep it healthy and packed with protein. ***Breakfast fires up the metabolism!*** Skipping breakfast or fasting an entire day, slows down the "machine." You want to get your engine running as soon as possible, right? Even if you're not hungry for a full breakfast, start the day with a fruit.

Vacation thing 8: Walk. Get moving in some way, whether you dance, run the stairs, use the hotel gym, or just take a brisk walk with your family, just get moving a half hour every day, and you'll be fine.

YOU CAN DO THIS! It's a journey, and just take things one step at a time. When you get off track and you start filling your body with hateful things, correct yourself, and get back on track.
  • Jesung
    Options
    Fair enough.
    I would always eat breakfast. Get's your body the fuel to start the day and metabolism up to burn calories through the day. It doesn't have to be big, maybe an apple or breakfast bar/shake.

Any quick fix you do is just mental. Just like eating 3500 calories in one day might show a gain of 4-5lbs that isn't "True Weight", any quick weight loss will be the same, just in the other direction. It sounds like if you are 154, you are giving yourself permission to eat poorly while on vacation. Maybe add in some exercise to burn the extra calories you might consume.
    No, this is not necessary. Fasting short term actually increases your metabolism slightly and has numerous other benefits.
  • nancyl8198
    nancyl8198 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My dietician tells me that drinking a mug of hot water with lemon helps to get rid of extra water weight. It seems to work for me. I was retaining a lot of water after my vacation (9 pounds) and it came off very quickly. Other then that - I agree with the others. All food in moderation, but keep it healthy! Enjoy your trip!
  • trilakegrandma
    trilakegrandma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The yo-yo plan never worked for anyone. Why would you do that to yourself? Instead of worrying about weight and foods, why not enjoy yourself with a walking tour of wherever you are on vacation? Wouldn't it be better and more fun to just work off what you ate? You could just have smaller portions of what you love, if eating out restaurants do have take home bags for the leftovers.