Walking a marathon in nine hours in nine months

Options
I am starting this week on an evil scheme to eventually walk a marathon distance by the end of August, 2021, as part of a broader goal of losing weight (I am a 5'7" male weighing 232.2 lbs, so ..) and of getting into a different shape than "pudgy pumpkin."

I am hoping for a nine hour completion time, but honestly, my real target is just to finish a marathon distance without crying like a small child.

I was pretty deconditioned pre-pandemic, and being stuck at home during the pandemic has made that much worse and frankly has rendered me into a blobby, weakened mess at age 57. The local thinking here is that the additional chins I have recently acquired are not an improvement.

I will be starting with walking three times per week for a mere 20 minutes (see comment above about being deconditioned at present), increasing to regular 60 minute walks three times per week, then starting a progressive training program by around the end of April. Calesthenics and weights (the latter mostly involved in lifting my cats; luckily I have two) three times a week on alternating days.

D-day is planned for August 29th. Week 1 of training and eating better starts now.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If you can, try walking more than 3 days a week. Walking isn't high impact, so can be done daily, especially if you aren't doing it for very long.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks spiriteagle, I will definitely be working up to four days per week walking for sure eventually, but knowing what I know about me, I think I will benefit from a three day per week approach at first, until the habit is ingrained, the fleshy part of my body learns to recognize that they are at least theoretically muscles and are supposed to be doing things like that, etc.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I think 9h is totally doable :) make sure you do proper warm down stretches at the end of each walk and wear proper shoes :) if you have any hillier areas nearby, I would recommend you walk there because the added resistance will help build your leg muscles.

I "ran" a marathon back in 2017, which is to say that I started running, pulled a muscle in the second mile and then ran/walked/limped the remainder. I managed it in a little over 7 hours and I was going SLOW so I have full confidence in you :)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

FYI if you are planning to do this as part of an actual marathon (if there are even any being held this year) many have a 6 -7 hour time limit, close the course and don't provide any support.
  • sparky00721
    Options
    Thanks stephisaur and Theoldguy, much appreciated!

Good advice about stretching (I am expecting to hear creaking sounds when I first start) and about proper shoes (I currently have some shoes that are this close - imagine my fingers just a short distance from each other for demonstration purposes - to completely disintegrating).

I am planning on including a weekly hill day after getting to regular 60 minute flat walks - particularly as my intended course for my target marathon is out and back to a particular favourite place (Deep Cove) which is 21 km away (42 km round trip) from my place in Vancouver and it has a certain amount of big hills.

My planned marathon is entirely self-administered and solo and not associated with an organized marathon. But I note that the local marathon (BMO Vancouver Marathon) traditionally has a seven hour course closure time.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's too nerdy for you, but once you've walked your 26.2 miles, maybe next you can Walk to Mordor?
  • sparky00721
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Maybe it's too nerdy for you, but once you've walked your 26.2 miles, maybe next you can Walk to Mordor?

I'm not sure there is a "too nerdy for me" thing out there. This looks like fun! Well, assuming the Nazgûl don't show up.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've done this, in the mountains, I did not finish in 9 hours though. One of the biggest challenges is mental. After a while your brain starts telling you things like "this is really Fing tedious" and "we don't have to do this whole thing." Have some distractions ready. 🙂

Go to a running store, get fitted for good, cushiony shoes. Use them while you're building up to the distance, get a new pair and break them in a week ahead of the event. Taper a little so you start out fresh. For that distance, I like to carry a change of socks, they feel like a luxury.

Lots of volume is the way to prepare. Doing one long walk a week is great, but a bunch of half mile walks spread out across the day will help you plenty as long as the time and distance add up.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I did three self-supported marathons this year (since all my races went virtual). Other than the training, I would recommend you think about your route and what will work best for you psychologically (which you can figure out on your longer training walks).

For my first two marathons, I did ten miles out and ten miles back to my place and refill my water bottle before heading out for the final sixish miles. The first time it wasn't too hard to get back out the door after twenty miles because I was really excited about finishing my first self-supported marathon. For the second . . . that one was more of a struggle. So for the third, I went out halfway and then came back. I found a coffee shop that had a restroom I could use that was around that halfway point. That was much easier for me since after the turnaround all I had to think about was running home!

I also know people who have done it as a series of loops -- that wouldn't work for me, but for some people it works very well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Very doable...fortunately we are very adept at walking and covering large distances doing so. I participated in the Bataan Memorial Death March which is an annual event here in NM several years ago. A bit different in that it was a 26 mile hike over variable terrain with a pack loaded with non perishable food items to be donated at the finish.

My biggest issue was training...I of course did a lot of walking and walked almost daily, but I also needed to get longer hikes in over terrain. Much of it became fairly tedious and time constraints due to life were an obstacle for sure, especially for getting out on 10-15 mile hikes on the weekends. I did it though...don't really remember how long it took exactly, but it was somewhere in the 12 hour range...I think just a little less...but again, much of it was over variable terrain with lots of elevation changes, sand, etc.

I was for the most part good for the first 15-20 miles, but it started to become really mental around that mileage to keep going. The last 5 or so miles were definitely the hardest both mentally and my feet were also physically really feeling it with blistering and such and just plain sore and tired. I carried an extra pair of socks, as well as blister treatment and those little blister sticky cushion things. Pasta and beer at the end never tasted so good...
  • sparky00721
    Options
    Thanks NorthCascades, sounds like solid advice and I like the idea of cushiony shoes, in place of the implements of disorder and discomfort I currently have as my everyday shoes.

In terms of my brain telling you things, yep, I can see that, but frankly, and for better or worse, I mostly stopped listening to my brain a long time ago. I am planning up on a lot of podcasts for the plus/minus 9 hours (I can get pretty absorbed in a good podcast), with perhaps some random coyote howling sounds for motivation through the wooded portions out near Deep Cove.
  • sparky00721
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Thanks janejellyroll - loops would make more sense for me for sure, but there is something psychologically and personally attractive for me about heading to Deep Cove. Telling friends or family that I walked to Deep Cove from the west side of Vancouver is a more compelling narrative for me than telling them I did a 10k loop four times. I am not telling my family about my plans (usually because I fail miserably at my plans) and I have this weird vision of texting my family at the far end with an unexpected photo of me at Deep Cove and a short note saying "I'm heading home now, see you in 4 or 5 hours." I am planning on using the next 32 weeks to map out public bathroom opportunities on the route - more challenging in these challenging pandemic times.
  • sparky00721
    edited January 2021
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Very doable...fortunately we are very adept at walking and covering large distances doing so. I participated in the Bataan Memorial Death March which is an annual event here in NM several years ago. A bit different in that it was a 26 mile hike over variable terrain with a pack loaded with non perishable food items to be donated at the finish. ...

I was thinking of some variant of "Death March" as a reference for my project, but worried it might turn out to be prophetic! That sounds wildly challenging. I will have a certain amount of elevation change for sure (haven't mapped it yet), but it will all be essentially on sidewalks including a long bridge walk. I can't imagine throwing walking on sand into the mix.

At this point, I figure I will only be carrying a smart phone (to phone for the inevitable rescue that I imagine will be necessary at some point, for listening to podcasts, for GPS tracking and for the half-way, half-victory photo), snacks, water and a small note pinned to my shirt authorizing use of my corpse (if it comes to that) for organ harvesting.

Now added to that list are extra socks give the two recommendations (had not thought of that) and a picture of cold beer in the fridge at home for motivation.

• sparky00721
    Options
    Thanks very much Duck Puddle - a ton of super helpful information! I had not settled on an actual training plan yet beyond a vague sense that both I and my feet and muscles felt it important to gradually work up to regular (3 or 4 day per week) sessions of one hour reasonably brisk walks before ramping up the training and distance. But having looked at a few plans, I recognized that a big time commitment will be called for over the course of training. I am prepared to commit time and any needed expense to this. Your references to chafing, Body Glide and Oofahs makes clear I may be entering into a new-to-me unusual world - looking forward to it (well, not the chafing).

Great advice about looking for training opportunities on soft surfaces - although I am in the middle of the city, there are some parks and school fields around. The proposed marathon route itself, however, is aggressively asphalt and concrete, with the added bonus of the promise of car exhaust.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You’re very dedicated and ambitious! I suggest that you find and follow a training plan. If you can’t find one for walking, just use one for running. Your main goal is to guide your mileage ramp up in a safe and reasonable way. Keep us posted!
  • sparky00721
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Thanks lorrpb! The ambitious part perhaps; the dedicated part yet to be seen!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    So, you're shooting for a 20mm. So, YES YOU (probably) CAN!

I haven't seen dedicated walking training guides for marathon length, but following a training guide for beginner runners would work pretty well, I bet. I like the Hal Higdon guides, specifically. It would have you doing shorter faster walks interspersed with longer slower ones.

If you're interested in pushing the pace a little bit, you might like the book "Run-Walk-Run" by Jeff Galloway.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Love this idea!! Super ambitious yet doable!!
    I was going to say good luck but I know you got this!!!
  • sparky00721
    Options
    Thanks Jthanmyfitnesspal and Onedaywriter, much appreciated!