12 years old and 272 pounds!!!

Options

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    IF this isn't from a medical issue than it is mainly the mom. You can't expect a 12yr old to be in total control of what they eat. The Mom should lead by example. Thank goodness my kids are picking up on living healthy.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    It is all on the parents, they introduced her to that lifestyle. I really hate when i see and hear morbidly obese people with there obese children talking about it is genetic when they have terrible eating habits and poor physical active. I know a few people personally that use this excuse.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    This topic and people's responses made me really sad and to say I'm disappointed in some of you is an understatement.

I am the mother of a 12 year old girl who was very close to this weight. She has had a weight issue since she was 3 1/2 years old and she's been checked out by her pediatrician, nutritionist, endocrynologist and she was tested for thryroid and diabetes, etc and all of her results were normal. My daughter had been throwing up several times a week without explaination and yet she would gain 10 -15 pounds every couple of month. Eventually she had her tonsils and adenoides removed and suddently the spontaneous vomitting problem went away. Unfortunately, the weight gain did not.

While her weight is what outsiders see, my daughter spent all of 5th grade with 2 completely different sized feet... one foot was a 7 1/2 and the other foot was a size 9. In 6th grade her feet almost evened out and from Augst to December her feet grew from a size 9 to a 11 1/2. I have gone to great lengths to "un-do" bad habits and work together with my daugther to make healthy choices. I'm of the logic that if I don't buy it (snacks) she won't be able to eat it. I've done the research and have found out that the typical public school lunch program packs 850 - 1000 calories into one meal. Many of us on MFP are on a 1200 calorie a day plan and if the kids are getting 800+ calories in ONE MEAL, it doesn't take a lot to push the kids over the top in calories for the day. Is it child abuse for me to feed her supper if she's eaten public lunch? Have any of you been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution??

I am not saying that some of her problem isn't from poor eating. We all could stand to live a healthier lifestyle.

My child is not sitting around eating a whole frozen pizza for breakfast and Big Macs for dinner like you see on the extreme TV shows. Actually, she has an account with MFP and often eats less than the 1600 calories she is allowed (per the nutritionist) and she has had some success...she has lost 29 pounds since January. Most of you reading this are probably thinking..see Mom! if she just stops eating junk food she'll lose weight...but guess what? A substitute pediatrician did her annual physical this year and immediately sent us back to the endocrynologist BECAUSE of her overall growth.

I don't know what is happening with my daughter. She is 5ft 6 1/2 in tall, wears size 11 1/2 wide sneakers, and has a ton of dark body hair... hormones? genetic problem? diabetes? thyroid? All I know is that I've been involved and on top of this for years and if the only thing PARENTS can see when they look at my daughter is her weight...then what chance does she ever have of making and keeping friends? I work my *kitten* off to make sure my daughter has good self esteem because she does care what people think and I don't want her doing extreme things to her body just to lose a few pounds.

I apologize - I did not see this before I posted my response. It's good to hear from someone who has the experience. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    Options
    This topic and people's responses made me really sad and to say I'm disappointed in some of you is an understatement.

I am the mother of a 12 year old girl who was very close to this weight. She has had a weight issue since she was 3 1/2 years old and she's been checked out by her pediatrician, nutritionist, endocrynologist and she was tested for thryroid and diabetes, etc and all of her results were normal. My daughter had been throwing up several times a week without explaination and yet she would gain 10 -15 pounds every couple of month. Eventually she had her tonsils and adenoides removed and suddently the spontaneous vomitting problem went away. Unfortunately, the weight gain did not.

While her weight is what outsiders see, my daughter spent all of 5th grade with 2 completely different sized feet... one foot was a 7 1/2 and the other foot was a size 9. In 6th grade her feet almost evened out and from Augst to December her feet grew from a size 9 to a 11 1/2. I have gone to great lengths to "un-do" bad habits and work together with my daugther to make healthy choices. I'm of the logic that if I don't buy it (snacks) she won't be able to eat it. I've done the research and have found out that the typical public school lunch program packs 850 - 1000 calories into one meal. Many of us on MFP are on a 1200 calorie a day plan and if the kids are getting 800+ calories in ONE MEAL, it doesn't take a lot to push the kids over the top in calories for the day. Is it child abuse for me to feed her supper if she's eaten public lunch? Have any of you been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution??

I am not saying that some of her problem isn't from poor eating. We all could stand to live a healthier lifestyle.

My child is not sitting around eating a whole frozen pizza for breakfast and Big Macs for dinner like you see on the extreme TV shows. Actually, she has an account with MFP and often eats less than the 1600 calories she is allowed (per the nutritionist) and she has had some success...she has lost 29 pounds since January. Most of you reading this are probably thinking..see Mom! if she just stops eating junk food she'll lose weight...but guess what? A substitute pediatrician did her annual physical this year and immediately sent us back to the endocrynologist BECAUSE of her overall growth.

I don't know what is happening with my daughter. She is 5ft 6 1/2 in tall, wears size 11 1/2 wide sneakers, and has a ton of dark body hair... hormones? genetic problem? diabetes? thyroid? All I know is that I've been involved and on top of this for years and if the only thing PARENTS can see when they look at my daughter is her weight...then what chance does she ever have of making and keeping friends? I work my *kitten* off to make sure my daughter has good self esteem because she does care what people think and I don't want her doing extreme things to her body just to lose a few pounds.

A friend of mine has a child with an EXTREMELY RARE disorder that causes her son to do the same thing. But like I said. It is EXTREMELY RARE. Will see if I can find out what it is called again and maybe you can address your doctor with it.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm realizing that judging others is not my place anymore because only God knows their situation. All I can do is listen and pray for those in need.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    Options
    Rare disease that causes uncontrollable obesity:

http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/newspub/releases/051106cushing.cfm
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should judge until you know the facts . It is wrong to judge with knowledge

This.

Yup!
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Hugs to you mum! Sounds like you're doing a great job. :heart:
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Rare disease that causes uncontrollable obesity:

http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/newspub/releases/051106cushing.cfm
    Thank you. I'm looking it up now. We have another dr appointment in September.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options

I apologize - I did not see this before I posted my response. It's good to hear from someone who has the experience. Thank you for sharing your story.
    Thank you
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

Your story is very different from the one the OP described. In your case, I would not say your daughter's weight problem is your fault. She's obviously got some kind of medical issue. However, in the case of the story by the OP, it is most certainly the parents' fault. It's not too hard to look at the parents of an obese child and know it's from poor eating and excersie habits. Prayers to you and your daughter.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    that is neglect via the parents as far as i'm concerned. that's not just about being overweight it's downright dangerous at this point. i'm completely appalled.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Strong 4 Life dot com

It's a new initiative in GA to get people to stop sugar-coating the childhood obesity issue. I applaud it 100%.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options

I'm sorry to hear about all the struggle you both have gone through and I'm sorry if we all seem like we're coming off insensitive. However, your particular circumstances are definitely the exception rather than the rule.

We are talking about the droves of dangerously unhealthy kids (and their parents) who are either un-aware of how to give their bodies what they need or just don't care.

Best of luck!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I was 200 pounds by the time I was in third grade. As a kid, from what I remember, I had no idea what was going on with my body. I had no knowledge of what it food did to me other than it made me feel better. My parents always had a lot of unhealthy food in the house and would blame me for eating all of it, but I just find it strange now. There were a lot of issues of self-control, and I was very uneducated in terms of weight loss. I knew I was different, but I didn't understand how to be normal (in terms of size). I also had growth issues, as I was always the tallest. I don't remember everything, but there was a lot of abuse in my household and the only way of coping with it was through food. It was a vicious cycle from then on.

I'm not saying it was anyone's fault, but the worst thing a parent can do is not teach their kids the value and importance of their health. All I can say is that I'm happy that I'm making up for lost time.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i think that this is a more sore subject than most of us want to think about. it's also a broader problem.

none of us got here, to this site, overnight either. as a society, we have a TERRIBLE relationship with food. and for many - and i'd dare to say most - of us, that does start in childhood. the triggers are as individual as each of us - abuse, depression, conflicts with mortality, addiction issues. and the factors - family income level, genetic predisposition, medical conditions - are even MORE widespread.

we grow up thinking that Froot Loops and chocolate milk are breakfast - school lunches are fried and oiled and swimming in grease and empty calories - then kids get home from school and are RAVENOUS b/c they have gotten food but not nutrition; and at that point, they are over 2k calories for the day and over on sugar and fat probably for two days' worth of food; at this point are they at home? or at after care? b/c most kids are in after care, so the "snack" is again sugar and salt and fat - and then their parent gets off work at 6 and by the time they all get home it's 8 and time for bed and bath, so it was happy meal in the car for dinner again.

can you say that's child abuse? many do. but me personally? i think that this poor kid in the subject line is one more victim of a pandemic.

here's the thing - i smoke (don't look at me like that, i'm aware it's an issue and i'm working on that too as part of this whole, let's try NOT committing passive suicide plan i have going on now) - point being, i pay taxes out the WAZOO for every 20 of my cancer sticks. NC - where one of my besties lives - calls it a "SIN TAX"

can't we do that to McDonalds? can't we do that to ALL of those terrible foods that fill you up and give you nothing for your body to use? as a society we have to make TIME FOR FOOD and not advocate 20 things to do after school/work, but to sit and eat and take time. and it needs to be affordable for us to eat healthy. we need to have our schools and our day cares and after cares and hell even elder cares, giving healthy food to the ppl who have no control over what's put in front of them. we need to raise kids - from the bottle/breast - to understand that food is fuel and you need good fuel and that it can taste great.

so the question was: is this the mom's fault?

my answer is: only insofar as the control SHE has over what her kid is eating and the relationship that she's advocating (knowingly or not) with food and health.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I was around that weight when I was twelve. This is kind of offensive to me. :/
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    even if there is an underlying health problem, the child have been beyond overweight for a LONG time, and by now there should have been some sort of medical intervention.

that is ALL the parents. the child is just not old enough to have been badly influenced by outside sources, and if they HAVE, meaning being outside of the home in a bad environment (running the streets) then still, the blame lies with the parents, for not BEING a parents.
  • Lets_Do_It
    Options
    Hmmm, I think both. The mom most likely tried to put her daughter on a diet, but the daughter is too young to care and doesn't understand what she is doing to herself. I weighed about 116 when I was 12 and I was a size 2 womens, even though most girls that age are still in kid's clothing. I: I let it continue and I reached 200 lbs at 16... imagine what will happen to that poor kid if they continue!!! D: I think the only way one can diet is if they themself, makes the commitment, hopefully one day they will get it through their head!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    school lunches are fried and oiled and swimming in grease and empty calories - then kids get home from school and are RAVENOUS b/c they have gotten food but not nutrition; and at that point, they are over 2k calories for the day and over on sugar and fat probably for two days' worth of food; at this point are they at home? or at after care? b/c most kids are in after care, so the "snack" is again sugar and salt and fat -

not sure where that info came from, but in Canada, after care is governed by the Day Nursery Act which requires that all programs follow the Canada Food Guide for Healthy Eating, as well as the School Board's Healthy Schools, Healthy Kids regulations. That crap is not served in after school programs.