At home workouts- NOT looking for a coach

Hello,
I just wanted to start a group where people could share their journeys without the poaching coaches. I love doing my beachbody/Jillian Michaels workouts at home but, I have been a coach and I hate that I cannot find any group/community where you become friends with someone and they are just looking for buck. Needless to say I am not a doing that any longer nor do I want to do it again!

I have struggled with my weight my whole life and I just want to get fit and change my habits not looking to diet per say but watching what I eat and how much. Right now I am working out with Shaun T with Insanity Max 30 which is one of my favorite workouts. Looking for accountability partners to help with motivation and have me do the same :smiley:

What program are you doing and what are some of your goals.

My short goal is to start feeling happy in my skin again.

Lets keep going!

Replies

• stephnstars
    stephnstars Posts: 47 Member
    👏 you sound like me, I'm not looking to diet, just watching what I eat and exercising more!
    I'm running 3-5km 2 or 3 times a week and use "fitbit coach" 2 or 3 times a week. I love it! And its working! 36lb since March!!! 8 more pounds to go until my next goal 💪.

We got this!
  • Aubsy07
    Aubsy07 Posts: 14 Member
    @stephnstars Congratulations on your achievements...I honestly have done everything from keto to vegetarian I cannot do it I figure moderation is good. I do love and enjoy the beach body programs however I hate the network marketing like everyone wants money out of you; full disclosure a few years back I was a beachbody coach and they teach that if a person says no it means not right now and you keep connecting. So it is hard for me to connect with people who are on a similar journey, I am at my highest weight and just need that motivation to ge up in the mornings. I am now working from home and barley leave so I am not getting the routine movement I was doing before.

Seems like you are forsure on the right track! In the summer I was walking/jogging (C25K) in the mornings/Lunch Hours but here winters are cold and it is really dark before work so going alone is not a great idea; so i'm going to start up again when we have longer days (daylight savings in May). Right now I am attempting insanity max 30 and weights we do have a small studio room with a gym so I just have excuses.

Today is the day!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Hi! I’ve done some Jillian Michaels before but I won’t do it unless there’s someone else around because it can make me feel quite faint. My boyfriend has suggested Insanity to me as he has it but I haven’t taken him up on that one yet. 😂

These days I’m mainly using Just Dance and Ring Fit. Both of them seem to do just enough to keep me from stiffening up from inactivity, but I’m starting to yearn for weights to lift again. I did Stronglifts 5x5 for a couple of months when my little one was a baby and didn’t mind going to the crèche while I worked out, but that was a long time ago now.
  • Aubsy07
    @ninerbuff - I do agree with you I have seen results with managing CICO however, when you live with people and your making several different meals it is sometimes just easier to eat what they are eating - mostly homemade but a bit more fat then I would like.

@Oishii - I have tones of Jillian Michaels workouts and I love her, I also have a collection of Beachbody programs which I also love my struggle is sticking to them. I have never done the original Insanity however there is Insanity Max 30 (IM30) which is my most favorite. IM30 - they also have a modified version of the workouts so if you are feeling less energy it works :smiley:

@steveko89 - So many people get hooked on the term "diet" It is a lifestyle forsure which of course is long term. It is interesting though most of us know we aren't making the "right" choices but we make them anyway, I have fallen into this trap more often lately.

Thanks all for responding its nice to have discussions without the anticipation of promoting health products. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Aubsy07 wrote: »
    @ninerbuff - I do agree with you I have seen results with managing CICO however, when you live with people and your making several different meals it is sometimes just easier to eat what they are eating - mostly homemade but a bit more fat then I would like.
    I do all the cooking in my house and trust me, I DON'T cook "clean" or "unprocessed". There are whole foods involved in about every meal and we eat meat at least once a day. I eat Spam, keilbasa sausage, chips, candy, etc. so by far not what most people would consider a "healthy" diet. But what I do make sure of is I get all the RDA's for macro/micronutrients daily and ensure I stay within my target calorie range. Doing that has helped to keep me steady in weight. Lol, being Filipino, it's really easy to blow your calories in one meal based on the high calorie counts in one Filipino dish. Lumpia for example.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I do all the cooking in my house and trust me, I DON'T cook "clean" or "unprocessed". There are whole foods involved in about every meal and we eat meat at least once a day. I eat Spam, keilbasa sausage, chips, candy, etc. so by far not what most people would consider a "healthy" diet. But what I do make sure of is I get all the RDA's for macro/micronutrients daily and ensure I stay within my target calorie range. Doing that has helped to keep me steady in weight. Lol, being Filipino, it's really easy to blow your calories in one meal based on the high calorie counts in one Filipino dish. Lumpia for example.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Again, can't disagree with Ninerbuff; a pragmatic approach is best. In our household we have to account for myself (31M 6'1" ~175 lbs) my wife (31F 5'9" ~145 lbs) and our 2y/o son. I lift weights with little-to-no cardio while my wife favors distance running and cross trains with weights twice/week. We have very different fitness goals and thus have to eat requisite to them, all the while making sure our son gets what he needs and is in a form he'll eat (granted we're fortunate he's not picky at all). Even with all those different variables we always eat the same dinner; it just varies in quantities and/or ratio of components to fit our calorie and macro requirements. The Mrs. and I have never been overweight in the 12 years we've been together (almost 8 years married) and have always talked very openly about wanting to keep it that way, both for vanity and for health & longevity. To get there we're both MFP users and diligently use our his/hers food scales to accurately measure our intake. Sure, food quality does matter in terms of getting adequate nutrition but that's an individual proposition in terms of what's considered good enough. Weight management is all about quantity and have to be "clean"; anyone telling you otherwise is probably selling something.
  • Aubsy07
    @ninerbuff @steveko89 That is what we know but people who have struggled their whole life back and forth its tough. My hubby and I are into fitness, when we met 15 years ago I was overweight but quickly lost 50 lbs and hit my goat weight of 145, my job changed to stationary instead of constant movement. maintained with 15 lbs which I was okay with. I got pregnant and gained a full 60 pounds and didn't lose it. My husband got sick diagnosed with fibromyalgia and could not longer body build, which was his only addiction. so needless to say life has hit us in the *kitten* and we are trying so hard to get back but its not as easy as 1,2,3 .... we know what to do but seems we lack motivation. My son is a picky eater so cooking multiple meals is every day is draining. my mother-in-law helps in the cooking area however it is Indian food - high carb high fat...we just need to get back somehow we are also on two separate journeys, knowing he cannot do what he used to sometimes I feel guilty that I can do things and he is limited day to day...
  • steveko89
    @ninerbuff @steveko89 That is what we know but people who have struggled their whole life back and forth its tough. My hubby and I are into fitness, when we met 15 years ago I was overweight but quickly lost 50 lbs and hit my goat weight of 145, my job changed to stationary instead of constant movement. maintained with 15 lbs which I was okay with. I got pregnant and gained a full 60 pounds and didn't lose it. My husband got sick diagnosed with fibromyalgia and could not longer body build, which was his only addiction. so needless to say life has hit us in the *kitten* and we are trying so hard to get back but its not as easy as 1,2,3 .... we know what to do but seems we lack motivation. My son is a picky eater so cooking multiple meals is every day is draining. my mother-in-law helps in the cooking area however it is Indian food - high carb high fat...we just need to get back somehow we are also on two separate journeys, knowing he cannot do what he used to sometimes I feel guilty that I can do things and he is limited day to day...

It goes beyond motivation; you wouldn't even be posting if you didn't have some motivation. You have to turn that motivation into intention: take action. Make sustainable positive changes and keep working on the structure and discipline to keep those changes part of your routine. Eventually that discipline fosters habit and you've successfully enacted a positive change. I know it's far easier typed than done, it won't be perfect either, but if it's something that's important to you (and your husband) you'll find things that work for you and your lifestyle. One of the biggest things for me is how much of what I eat is pre-planned. At the very least I'll have everything but dinner pre-logged a day in advance. For you, if you know dinner will be light on protein, compensate for that earlier in the, or try to work with your MIL on the meal plan.
  • Aubsy07
    @steveko89 You are 100% right! I think I need to just get out of my head and get it done! My main struggle that I have always been working on is meal planning we all have different palates (I am not a chef) so it's not always clear cut. What meals do you enjoy, you said your dinners are constant?

• steveko89
    @steveko89 You are 100% right! I think I need to just get out of my head and get it done! My main struggle that I have always been working on is meal planning we all have different palates (I am not a chef) so it's not always clear cut. What meals do you enjoy, you said your dinners are constant?

They're not constant but we all three always eat the same thing (one dish prepared), with maybe the caveat of something extra that our son really likes, like a small dish of cheese, cheerios, or cottage cheese, if he asks for that after giving the rest of dinner a try.

We do a lot of chicken breast, pork chops, or beef, keeping it relatively simple with a protein-starch-veggie trio: steamable frozen veggies are quick and easy, a whole grain pasta, rice, or potatoes, and meat with some simple seasoning or a cookbook recipe (pretty sure my wife likes the Taste of Home cookbooks). For chicken or pork we've been doing a lot of searing and baking, which is a method I recommend if your cookware allows for it. We've found it's a good way to keep meats juicy and tender compared to straight up baking (faster too). We'll also do spaghetti & meatballs or a local favorite referred to as Cincinnati chili (more of a sauce than a traditional chili served over pasta with cheese). The Mrs. & I are big fans of doing breakfast for dinner with eggs and bacon, sausage or goetta (another regional thing) but eggs are one of the few things our son is finnicky about so we do that far less with him around.

We also recently started Hello Fresh after we found a pretty decent promo code. So far we've been really enjoying the different recipes and have another 2-3 weeks at the promotional price. Unsure if we'll continue once that's up right now. It's certainly more expensive than groceries but less than eating out at anything more than fast food and the plan we've picked has been very comparable calorically to how we'd eat otherwise.

To Ninerbuff's point about not needing to "eat clean", our pasta sauce comes from a jar, Cincinnati chili is heavily processed and there generally aren't any foods I consider off limits. There are nights where we screw up and forget to take anything out of the freezer and end up getting take out or have a digiorno pizza with a side salad. The rest of my day usually looks like a hodge podge of protein shakes, greek yogurt, fruit, peanut butter toast, and a clif bar. Again, far from what most would call "clean" but what I've found works well for me to hit my macros and supports my goals. Since getting seriously into powerlifting/bodybuilding in 2016 I fluctuate between ~170 and 180lbs and the only thing that changes when I'm trying to gain or lose weight is the amount I eat, not really what I eat.
  • ninerbuff
    I'll add to steveko89's post. If you've been a certain way before, you had certain expectations of yourself then. How fast you ran, how hard you worked out, etc. But as we age and as time goes along, YOU WILL not always get better at it or maintain it. I've worked out since I was 19. Between 25 years old and 35 years old, I was at my peak strength and fitness. After about 35 years old, my fitness and strength started to decline little by little to the point now at 57 years old, while I may still look very close to the same body wise, the amount of resistance I use has dropped significantly from peak years. But I understand that happens.
    So I think that part of the demotivating factor is that YOU'RE NOT, even close to where you used to be before a kid. And chances are you MAY never be again. And that's NORMAL. It's not an oddity. What you should try to do is just the best you can under the current conditions your physique is in. That's all you can do. Will you get better? Of course, but MAYBE not to prior years. And a lot of people dwell on that and give up because they don't believe they ever will attain that again. Thing is that's a personal issue that you need to solve yourself. Physically you're not in the best shape, but that doesn't affect your intelligence or character. People who are close to you look more to that then your physical shape.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Aubsy07
    @steveko89 thank you that is simple, we tend to convince ourselves and pasta is not great even though we use chickpea or whole wheat. We also did hello fresh promo code yes it is actually more than groceries and I like to make more than one meal for leftovers. I really appreciate the time you have taken to share your simplistic approach, allowing someone to think out side of the bubble :smiley:

@ninerbuff Again very insightful thank you! I understand I may not be where I was but I know I can do better, I know my faults and what I really need to work on. I should also recognize that it is tougher then it used to be as well as not as convenient then as it once was. Your right we need to allow ourselves to accept here and now and not fully blame or seek to change but to just adjust to how the body feels and be more intuitive.

I have found that using MFP has prevented me from overeating the usually as I see in front of me the amount I could consume without even noticing. It is a never ending journey but I am starting over.

wondering what you guys would recommend for a workout for someone overweight carrying WAY more weight then they should but strong enough with weights has been into fitness here and there over the years. (before the pandemic I was doing kickboxing) but in a lockdown so intense training has been delayed. I do have access to a gym at home and when I get in there i feel lost :neutral: and overwhelmed.
  • steveko89
    @steveko89 thank you that is simple, we tend to convince ourselves and pasta is not great even though we use chickpea or whole wheat. We also did hello fresh promo code yes it is actually more than groceries and I like to make more than one meal for leftovers. I really appreciate the time you have taken to share your simplistic approach, allowing someone to think out side of the bubble :smiley:

@ninerbuff Again very insightful thank you! I understand I may not be where I was but I know I can do better, I know my faults and what I really need to work on. I should also recognize that it is tougher then it used to be as well as not as convenient then as it once was. Your right we need to allow ourselves to accept here and now and not fully blame or seek to change but to just adjust to how the body feels and be more intuitive.

I have found that using MFP has prevented me from overeating the usually as I see in front of me the amount I could consume without even noticing. It is a never ending journey but I am starting over.

wondering what you guys would recommend for a workout for someone overweight carrying WAY more weight then they should but strong enough with weights has been into fitness here and there over the years. (before the pandemic I was doing kickboxing) but in a lockdown so intense training has been delayed. I do have access to a gym at home and when I get in there i feel lost :neutral: and overwhelmed.

You're welcome; that's what this community section should be all about. There's so much misinformation about what you have to do to lose weight, especially demonizing carbs. The problem is that telling people to eat a varied, balanced diet with controlled portions and/or moderation just doesn't garner attention, clicks, or dollars much.

I'm curious what Ninerbuff has to say on the workout subject given his credentials and experience. For me, the best workout plan is the one you enjoy, will happy execute consistently, and matches your fitness goals. Now, I recognize that's a really pie-in-the-sky type answer but that's just what I've experienced with my fitness endeavors and those who are close to me. I'm a very numbers-oriented person (engineer by trade) so the concept of X amount of exercise yields Y amount of calories, which translates to Z foods it really appealing at first. I quickly found that mindset of having to earn calories or certain foods detrimental to my relationship with food and generally made my life less enjoyable. I also found myself exercise in amounts and ways I didn't like; the topper was on one instance choosing to run several miles to Chipotle to "earn my guac". Even if I liked running that much (I do not) that's no way to live one's life. Similarly, I spent a good few years half-heartedly following workout programs like p90x and p90x3 solely because I bought into the marketing about getting ripped and jacked quickly. I have no doubt that they could be effective but Tony annoyed the heck out of me and I never really liked many of the workouts (certainly in x3). Once I started following a more traditional lifting approach I was hooked and it's now a huge hobby of mine. I wasn't even doing drastically different things, it just didn't click the same way. Fortunately, lifting also aligns with my goals as far as how I want to look and be able to perform. I still do some cardio now and again but that's more for general health and endurance than anything else.

Some of the best advice I've been given on this forum is that you should look at your diet to control your weight and exercise in ways that support your health, aesthetics, performance goals, or purely for enjoyment

If you enjoy those home workouts you mentioned there's nothing wrong with that. Youtube is a great resource for those sort of workouts as well. If those workouts are simply a means to an end, are there other active pursuits that really interest you aside from wanting to lose weight? Have you considered things like yoga, or even going for leisurely walks or bike rides? Perhaps there's a park or nature center nearby with trails you might enjoy walking? I know my wife and I have taken our son on more walks in our neighborhood this year than we'd have ever imagined and spending that time together as a family has been a ton of fun and something we hope to maintain in a post-covid world. Those walks didn't make any noticeable difference to my calorie expenditure but absolutely made a difference in how we were able to cope with pandemic living when things were really shuttered in our area through the spring last year.
  • ninerbuff

I'd have you do some basic compound lifts with active recovery inbetween trying to burn as many calories as you can per session. An example: Squat then after racking, do 1 minute of jumping jacks. Catch your breath quick then continue with squats and repeat. It can be ANY active recovery including just running in place. If you're workout for weight is at least 30 minutes, you'll get in 30 minutes of cardio at the same time. I normally do this with clients who aren't apt to doing cardio during the week on days off or not all after lifting. And while weight loss depends more on diet and calorie deficit, at least getting the cardio in during sessions will help to either create a higher deficit for you or give you more room to eat a little more based on your choice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png