Supplements - effective or useless?

Options
Do any of you have opinions and knowledge on supplements. I’m kinda of the belief that most if not all are no different to regular food. I do use creatine and Bcaas but am starting to question there benefit.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    There's a thread in "Most Helpful Posts" about exactly that subject:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637410/beneficial-supplements-which-ones-are-right-for-you/p1

Another good resource IMO is:

https://examine.com/

They don't sell supplements, just research reports on them, but there's a good bit of free information on the site, too.

I prefer to get nutrients from food as much as possible, too, but do take supplements that have been medically prescribed (as a 65+ woman, some of that stuff is needful 🙄).
  • NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Creatinine definitely makes a difference when lifting heavy
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've taken BCAAs for about 18 months. I don't think they make a blind bit of difference. I only tried them as I exercise fasted and there was some research to suggest that they might be good for me. I'm finishing the current stock as they were expensive but I'm not going to buy any more. Not tried creatine. My diet is good and varied and I only lift for fun so apart from a bit of whey protein around heavier days I am not bothering with exercise supplements.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, creatine has been around for so long, is well researched, and proven to be effective. Specifically for creatine I'd look at your dosing and try bumping it up if you're not seeing any benefits since personal sensitivity and timing can play a role in absorption. Based on some anecdotes I read I added another 5g post workout to the 8g I was getting preworkout and that seemed to cross a threshold for me (6'1" 175lbs for reference). Beta-alanine also has a pretty lengthy resume of proven efficacy. I take Vit D, a multi, and use whey to help hit my protein macro but don't mess with anything else any more. I've tried the gamut; BCAAs, NOx boosters, Test boosters, CLA, etc. and never found them to make any difference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I've taken BCAAs for about 18 months. I don't think they make a blind bit of difference. I only tried them as I exercise fasted and there was some research to suggest that they might be good for me. I'm finishing the current stock as they were expensive but I'm not going to buy any more. Not tried creatine. My diet is good and varied and I only lift for fun so apart from a bit of whey protein around heavier days I am not bothering with exercise supplements.
    Creatine works. Lots of scientific studies to back it. And just get pure creatine monohydrate instead of getting a bunch of powders laced with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    kevchenk01 wrote: »
    Do any of you have opinions and knowledge on supplements. I’m kinda of the belief that most if not all are no different to regular food. I do use creatine and Bcaas but am starting to question there benefit.

With regards to resistance training the two most effective supplements according to most of the scientific literature are creatine and caffeine. Note that this can vary from person to person. Some people are responders to these two supplements and some are not. I, for example, don't find caffeine particularly effective for lifting but that's likely because I have about 8 cups of coffee every morning. lol.

The consensus in the literature is that BCAA and EAA supplementation shows no benefit if you're getting sufficient protein, especially if you're getting your protein from a variety of sources. BTW, sometimes people consider protein a supplement, in which case it's, by far, the most effective supplement for resistance training.

I'm not aware of any science on the topic, but I know I rely heavily on meal prepping to meet my fitness goals. That means eating the same thing every day, or close to every day. To me that means I may not have enough variety in my diet to give me sufficient micro nutrients so I take a multivitamin to try and offset that. But, again, for all I know I'm basically pissing money down the drain, literally, taking a multivitamin since there isn't any science to back it up and if your body doesn't need it it just sends it right into the toilet.

Finally, if you have the time, this guy generally knows his stuff

https://youtu.be/IR5jW9iNNiw
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My staple supplements

Krill oil
    Zma
    Vit D 3
    Multi vit
    Chromium picolinate when massing

These are the things That are deficient in
    My diet and I can feel and a real difference from over time. My blood work backs up the deficiencies and improvements when I add these to my diet.

These probably aren’t necessary for the vast majority of people on here

• quievala
    quievala Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on your site for a few months now and have learned that if you don't take the time to develop strength...you won't be able to build muscle.