Cut coca cola and caffiene

For years I drank an average of 6 cans of cherry coca cola a day. Full sugar. 149 calories a can.

So that's 894 calories a day I cut out overnight.

Kinda expected to lose weight this month just because of that. The only thing I've drank is flavoured water at 16cal a bottle and plain old tap water.

I know it's calories in and out but idk. I feel deflated. Cut right back on snacks too so easily dropped a lot of cals a day.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Accurately weigh, measure, and log everything you eat and drink.

Weight loss happens when you ar
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Weight loss happens when you’re in a calorie deficit.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    That’s an amazing start when you can cut out all those empty calories and sugar! Great choice for your health! It might be hard at first but it will certainly pay off.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    You do have to keep some sort of idea of CICO; you might still be eating more than you think. You have made a great start!! Snacky items and full sugar sodas are so calorie filled. Trouble is people think a 'normal' sized serving of food is probably way more than we realize. Lots of people say this but when I first started actually measuring peanut butter, all of a sudden 2 T. looked like so little. Same with hummus and many other items.

Try logging in calories for awhile and see if you notice a change then?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    edited January 2021
    For years I drank an average of 6 cans of cherry coca cola a day. Full sugar. 149 calories a can.

Kinda expected to lose weight this month just because of that. The only thing I've drank is flavoured water at 16cal a bottle and plain old tap water.

I know it's calories in and out but idk. I feel deflated. Cut right back on snacks too so easily dropped a lot of cals a day.

You are correct that if you removed 894 calories of soda per day and changed nothing else that you will lose weight.

Are you saying you've done this for a few weeks or a month and have seen no weight loss?

If it has been a full month, something is wrong, like your assumption that you made no other changes.

I know that when I quit drinking I suddenly picked up an M&M habit.

If it is less than a month and you are a woman with a menstrual cycle, you may be retaining water because you are ovulating or premenstrual.

Or perhaps you have started exercising this month and you are retaining water from that.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Are you logging your food/calorie intake, besides cutting out the soda? (Great job, BTW) You may have unknowingly replaced the soda calories with something else, if you aren't tracking.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Carbonated drinks curb my appetite, so if I stopped drinking them I might easily add calories in food to compensate. I don't know if you're in the same situation, but it's something to consider (if you aren't already tracking your calories).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member

But you likely supplanted EATING more to cope if you didn't lose any weight. It's still about TOTAL calorie count in a day versus your TDEE if you're control weight loss/gain/maintenance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png