How many calories a week do you burn from exercise

Options
andysport1
andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
edited January 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
I've only recently started logging my cycling because now I wear a HR monitor I believe it to be accurate.
I don't log any walking
I don't log my three mini strength building sets
Nor do I log my stretch/Pilates sessions.
I burn an average of 13,800 per week

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2,000 calories a day and am maintaining my weight so I figure it's about 14,000.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Burn around 15000 weekly per Garmin activity tracker, during the winter and reduced workouts.

Be aware that rarely do you need to log walking or workouts, because it still counts the calorie burn for ALL activity.
    Actually, for some workouts (like intervals or strength training), HR-based formula for calorie burn is totally incorrect and inflated estimate - it would be best to manually log if you have any big amount of time doing it.
    If 10-15 min a day, no big deal.
    And if this is activity tracker the vast majority of the day is correctly done using distance from steps seen not the HR.

What are you getting your calorie burn estimate from?
    (understand it's an estimate, there is no measuring going on like you measure flow rate on a sink faucet or such)

Also, if you think not logging those workouts doesn't count the calorie burn - then you really don't burn avg 13,800 per week do you?
  • andysport1
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Burn around 15000 weekly per Garmin activity tracker, during the winter and reduced workouts.

Be aware that rarely do you need to log walking or workouts, because it still counts the calorie burn for ALL activity.
    Actually, for some workouts (like intervals or strength training), HR-based formula for calorie burn is totally incorrect and inflated estimate - it would be best to manually log if you have any big amount of time doing it.
    And if this is activity tracker the vast majority of the day is correctly done using distance from steps seen not the HR.

(understand it's an estimate, there is no measuring going on like you measure flow rate on a sink faucet or such)

Also, if you think not logging those workouts doesn't count the calorie burn - then you really don't burn avg 13,800 per week do you?

I use a wahoo computer on my bike with HR that's where my calorie estimate comes from, any other exercise is insignificant so I don't log it.
    I don't understand your last sentence.
  • heybales
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »

I use a wahoo computer on my bike with HR that's where my calorie estimate comes from, any other exercise is insignificant so I don't log it.

My misunderstanding of weekly exercise only calories compared to total calories burned.

During summer and running & biking would be burning more in exercise, but now only strength training and rehab for injury.

Is your summer starting then for doing a bunch of biking?

Be aware there are many things that cause HR-based calorie burn calc's to be wrong, direction of inflated..
    Being hot will increase HR for purpose of cooling, not because you are working harder and burning more calories - but HRM calculations don't know that.
    Being dehydrated will increase HR above what's needed for the effort - inflated calorie burn.
    A long ride will increase HR too just from stress - you could be expending exactly the same number of watts, or energy, or calories - and HR will read higher.

I'll say my HR-based calculated calorie burn didn't start becoming accurate compared to power meter until later in fall when it was cooler for the rides, my HR was about 10 bpm lower for same route equal avg watts.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    According to my MFP weekly report, I logged 5500 calories from exercise last week, 5100 the week before. I do log walks (2-3 miles a day with the dog) and runs. I actually burn more calories than I log, since I am generally over my weekly calorie goal yet keep my weight stable. (I've been in maintenance for several years.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have no idea really...it's not really data that I keep track of. I know roughly how many calories in total I consume and I've been maintaining weight, so I know I'm break even at the moment...in total that is about 2800 calories per day at the moment.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I burn about 600kcals per workout on average and do anything from 3-7 of them per week. It's significant!

The biggest problem is that my apatite doesn't seem to change if I work out in a day or not. That's where logging comes in.

I so wish that MFP would provide your deficit over a past several days, rather than for the current day. If you do something really significant one day (e.g., a 2 hour ride), it would be nice to carry the deficit forward for a few days, showing it in your diary. I suppose they're trying to keep things simple...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Over 21,000 calories per week. I walk 3 hours a day (90 min am, then 90 min pm) plus work out 30 minutes min with resistance training. I don't include 30 minute Kbox session which are here and there nor any other physical activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • andysport1
    Options

My misunderstanding of weekly exercise only calories compared to total calories burned.

During summer and running & biking would be burning more in exercise, but now only strength training and rehab for injury.

Is your summer starting then for doing a bunch of biking?

Be aware there are many things that cause HR-based calorie burn calc's to be wrong, direction of inflated..
    Being hot will increase HR for purpose of cooling, not because you are working harder and burning more calories - but HRM calculations don't know that.
    Being dehydrated will increase HR above what's needed for the effort - inflated calorie burn.
    A long ride will increase HR too just from stress - you could be expending exactly the same number of watts, or energy, or calories - and HR will read higher.

I'll say my HR-based calculated calorie burn didn't start becoming accurate compared to power meter until later in fall when it was cooler for the rides, my HR was about 10 bpm lower for same route equal avg watts.

How do I calculate it correctly ?
    Winter here is short, it's not so much the cold 16c it drops too it's more the wind chill when you are cycling, now is better, low 20's (it's still winter).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

If you get a chance compare the numbers you are getting from your HRM with a power meter equipped bike.
    Power meters are actually an accurate way to estimate calorie burns from cycling whereas using HR can have a very wide range of accuracy/inaccuracy for different people under different circumstances. Tends to have a far better chance of being reasonable for steady state riding but that falls aparts with very varied intensity rides such as interval training or just plain very hilly riding. Or if you simply happen to be an outlier....
    e.g. on a ride with an exceptional cyclist I was at 150bpm and he was barely breaking into three figures yet our calories would have been pretty similar.

HR at all ranges from resting to normal life to exercise can be enormously varied between individuals - even those with identical stats. Plus you get the external HR influences of heat, dehydration, stress.....
    It can of course be reasonable and good enough for purpose but I wouldn't assume it's accurate unless you have put some work into validating your numbers.

I crunched the numbers from my Garmin which tracks my sporting cycling and it came out at an average of 499 net cals per day for the last 12 months and that's using power meters. But it's highly variable, highest daily burn 4,500 cals and of course a lot of days with zero.

With a typical 3 sessions of strength training and 109 miles per week cycling my weekly average exercise burn is c. 4,200 cals.

How many miles are you doing?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I do anywhere between 30-60 minutes of cardio per day, which I consider low impact even when occasionally it includes some running and dancing, so 200-300 per day? I also do almost daily either pilates or some dumbell/bodyweight training but I rarely log that as I doubt it burns any significant amount of calories.
  • andysport1
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If you get a chance compare the numbers you are getting from your HRM with a power meter equipped bike.
    Power meters are actually an accurate way to estimate calorie burns from cycling whereas using HR can have a very wide range of accuracy/inaccuracy for different people under different circumstances. Tends to have a far better chance of being reasonable for steady state riding but that falls aparts with very varied intensity rides such as interval training or just plain very hilly riding. Or if you simply happen to be an outlier....
    e.g. on a ride with an exceptional cyclist I was at 150bpm and he was barely breaking into three figures yet our calories would have been pretty similar.

HR at all ranges from resting to normal life to exercise can be enormously varied between individuals - even those with identical stats. Plus you get the external HR influences of heat, dehydration, stress.....
    It can of course be reasonable and good enough for purpose but I wouldn't assume it's accurate unless you have put some work into validating your numbers.

I crunched the numbers from my Garmin which tracks my sporting cycling and it came out at an average of 499 net cals per day for the last 12 months and that's using power meters. But it's highly variable, highest daily burn 4,500 cals and of course a lot of days with zero.

With a typical 3 sessions of strength training and 109 miles per week cycling my weekly average exercise burn is c. 4,200 cals.

Average 150 miles with 12-15000 feet of climbing, I live on a volcanic island so it's up or down, top of the hill is 10,000 feet up from my house.
    I weigh 200lb and I ride hard
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Average 150 miles with 12-15000 feet of climbing, I live on a volcanic island so it's up or down, top of the hill is 10,000 feet up from my house.
    I weigh 200lb and I ride hard

Sounds challenging!
    Strava tries to estimate your power from your stats, speed and the terrain - if you look at the kilojoule field on your activity that number can be used as an approximation for net calories. Might be interesting to compare to your HRM numbers?
    (The calorie estimate Strava gives is a gross calorie estimate.)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Idk. According to Garmin I did 530 hours of workouts last year which burned 190k calories. So 3500/week on average? But I ran 2 marathons plus a 50k last year so that’s probably higher than normal.

I am recovering from Disney Dopey now so closer to 0 currently.

I’m maintaining on 1600-ish cal/day right now. That is 11,200 for a week. For my 24/7 regular/normal life (with virtually no exercise).

Thankfully, I don’t train for the purpose of burning calories.

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm exercising about 5 days a week. My exercise consists of weightlifting (which doesn't burn many calories at all) and rowing - some days only weightlifting, some days only rowing, some days a combination. I'm only 126-128 pounds. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm burning only 600 a week max from purposeful exercise alone.
  • andysport1
    Options
    At the moment I'm exercising about 5 days a week. My exercise consists of weightlifting (which doesn't burn many calories at all) and rowing - some days only weightlifting, some days only rowing, some days a combination. I'm only 126-128 pounds. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm burning only 600 a week max from purposeful exercise alone.

Had I guessed I'd have thought weights would have burnt 600 an hour, thanks for the insight.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Idk. According to Garmin I did 530 hours of workouts last year which burned 190k calories. So 3500/week on average? But I ran 2 marathons plus a 50k last year so that’s probably higher than normal.

I am recovering from Disney Dopey now so closer to 0 currently.

I’m maintaining on 1600-ish cal/day right now. That is 11,200 for a week. For my 24/7 regular/normal life (with virtually no exercise).

Thankfully, I don’t train for the purpose of burning calories.

Yeah, those marathon training weeks sure burn lots of calories....
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    3 or 4 lap swims a week at +- 350 each plus being in my feet at work +- 4 to 5 hours four days a week
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    since i dont really eat that many of them back, I don't really think about it....
  • heybales
    Options

Had I guessed I'd have thought weights would have burnt 600 an hour, thanks for the insight.

Pull up the MFP exercise database and find Strength Training, look at what an hour burns for you.
    That is pretty good estimate - and indeed not big.
    Burns about as much as fast paced walk during the workout.

Of course the desire is to do a good enough job causing some damage to repair stronger, that takes extra energy during the recovery period, and that is highly variable on the workout and the person.