What’s your plan for the winter?

124»

Replies

• Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    @TurquiseTurtle7 You could try one of these masks that goes over your head and you pull it over your nose. I’m not sure how breathable they are but that would keep your ears warm as well as your nose.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    If you have the space at home, I like alot of the exercise videos on youtube. Popsugar fitness is a great channel. Leslie Sansone is great for low-impact aerobic exericse at home- some of her workouts are on youtube.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    When the cooler weather sets in I rejoin Ompractice for live yoga, join a dance studio, and also les mills. That about covers it for me!
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    My problem in the winter isn't the temperature, it's the shortened daylight hours. I leave for work before the sun is up and by the time i get home at the end of the day it will be already be dusk or very close to it. That leaves only weekends for outdoor workouts. How do other people exercise outdoors when it's dark?

As I often find myself sarcastically saying to my suburban roadie buddies come fall (when they whine that they'll soon be stuck on the trainer): "so they make these things now we call lights". but seriously.. there have been major improvements in headlamps (cycling and running/hiking/helmets) and tail lights, LED vests, spoke lights, etc. in the last bunch of years.

Yup. There has been. But what hasn't improved is drivers paying attention more. I've been tapped by a car in full reflective gear (headlamp, vest, neon yellow shirt) when I was over halfway through the crosswalk. I feel like I could be lit up like a Christmas tree and I'd still be at risk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I wasn’t gonna say this because there are several people on here that actually have brutal winters where they live, but I’ll be honest... I’m in Texas (from Memphis) 🥴 so I don’t have “real” winter weather to worry about. I just HATE being cold and I’m just starting to consistently workout, so this will be my first winter if I continue outdoor exercise.

Thank you all for the feedback. ☺️

I think you should watch "Fortitude" to get some perspective on cold and what people can wear to prevent being cold outside ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Fortitude-Season-1/dp/B00S1VFB36
  • kshama2001
    I found out about a way to turn a ski trail I love into a loop. Looking forward to getting out there and exploring these connector trails. 😁

Last fall someone used a leaf blower on the smaller trails in my nearby state park. It was so cool! I found lots of trails, and also found the way out of a section that had previously stumped me.

Now my OH is talking about leafblowing the trails behind our house. He was never a walker, but since the summer has been walking our cat on a leash, got bored with our street, and headed into the woods.

While I really appreciated the leafblowing, I see this as such a guy thing. I do trail maintenance all the time but it would not occur to me in a million years to bring a leaf blower.
  • WildColonialGirl
    WildColonialGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Walk around my office building - 20 laps around equals a mile. I’m leery of joining a gym right now, but swimming at the city recreation center seems relatively safe (because chlorine). I just have to get up the nerve to buy a bathing suit - shudder.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I found out about a way to turn a ski trail I love into a loop. Looking forward to getting out there and exploring these connector trails. 😁

Last fall someone used a leaf blower on the smaller trails in my nearby state park. It was so cool! I found lots of trails, and also found the way out of a section that had previously stumped me.

Now my OH is talking about leafblowing the trails behind our house. He was never a walker, but since the summer has been walking our cat on a leash, got bored with our street, and headed into the woods.

While I really appreciated the leafblowing, I see this as such a guy thing. I do trail maintenance all the time but it would not occur to me in a million years to bring a leaf blower.

I've run across the idea of "cleaning up the woods" in various forms, from various people. Speaking as someone who pretty much grew up in a (pretty big) woods . . . this strikes me as a very odd idea, generally speaking. Quixotic, even.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    I plan on eating all the food and lifting all the weights!
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    that is an excellent question, and I am in California so I plan on swimming throughout the cold months, and before you knock it, it still gets cold out here especially for an outdoor pool, but it all comes down to how bad do you want it, and if we work hard through the winter ie the "Eating Season" think Halloween candy, Thanksgiving turkey, Christmas ham, then New Years hors devours, and then the Super Bowl pizza and hot wings, then we will be that much ahead of the game come the New Years resolution warriors and just in time for summer time
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Well I won't be curling. Decided today that it's not worth the risk. I'd rather be able to visit my mom than curl with friends. So my winter activity will just be skating now. Maybe I'll be able to take my son to the pool otherwise it's YouTube workouts which are fun but get stale from time to time
  • Indialove901
    Update: I’ve been doing the same thing I do in the summer. The only difference is I don’t walk/jog as long because the sun comes up later. I have officially changed my lifestyle. 😏😉
  • Indialove901
    Another update: The snow is really cramping my style. 😕 I’ve been resorting to strength training more than normal, just to keep my momentum.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Youtube! I have a few favorites... CDorner fitness, fitoutsidethebox, Sydney Cummings, Yvette Bachman...my neighborhood is not the best for outdoor cardio(esp if dark or wet). I do enjoy running outside near work where there are paved roads or a track.
  • kshama2001
    Another update: The snow is really cramping my style. 😕 I’ve been resorting to strength training more than normal, just to keep my momentum.

I was going to give you a hard time but I see you are in Texas so I'll just suggest you join your senator in Cancun ;)

Hope you have power and water!

It was around freezing today but we bundled up and took the cat for a walk. He doesn't walk very quickly so I bring clippers and do trail maintenance. Lately I've also been making a new path around a fallen tree. We were out for about 75 minutes.

This is from last month. I had snowshoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNsgfIdWSaY
  • Indialove901
    @DancingMoosie I’m going to do some research on these tonight. Thank you!

@kshama2001 I know right! That guy is unbelievable! 😂 You have to laugh to keep from crying nowadays. Thankfully I do have power, water and heat! Still praying for those that don’t. I’m not built for this type of winter but after seeing you guys, I may give my outdoor walk a shot tomorrow. Saturday for sure!!! Thanks for the encouragement! 😊