My problem

Options
I know that there are others out there with the same problem as me. My problem is GETTING enough calories. Not going over my calories.
I rarely eat meat because its expensive and I'm on a fixed income. I will eat a whole 16 oz bag of baby carrots through the day, and not feel like eating anything else. I may have juice or soda to up my caolrie intake. I have a stash of Little Debbies I break into when I need a bunch of calories. Lately I've been having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or 2 a day, but that is going to get old.

Replies

• Akasa
    Akasa Posts: 25
    Options
    I know that there are others out there with the same problem as me. My problem is GETTING enough calories. Not going over my calories.
    I rarely eat meat because its expensive and I'm on a fixed income. I will eat a whole 16 oz bag of baby carrots through the day, and not feel like eating anything else. I may have juice or soda to up my caolrie intake. I have a stash of Little Debbies I break into when I need a bunch of calories. Lately I've been having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or 2 a day, but that is going to get old.
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    Junk food is not the right thing for you if you want to stay healthy and feel good. Juices and sodas are expensive and mostly empty calories. I suggest switching to water, home-brewed tea, milk and the occasional vegetable juices.

As for good protein, I recommend looking through the sales circulars from all of your local grocery stores. Every one of them will have some sort of protein on sale each week. For instance, in my local area, boneless skinless chicken breasts are on sale for $1.79 a pound. Pork sirloins are on sale for $1.99 a pound. Either of these, or any of the others, will make for much better calories and food.

Peanut butter is acceptable, jelly and white bread marginal at best. Little Debbies (I have to confess, a former guilty pleasure of empty calories for me as well) are worthless. If you must, spend your money on a good bar of chocolate (I like toblerones myself) that you can portion out when you need a sweet fix.

If you don't know how to prepare the real food, then use your computer and search for some recipes. Cooking is not that difficult- you just have to try. Even my 12 year old son can cook chicken breasts and pork chops on a grill or in a skillet.

If you just think about what you are eating, you will get in the right healthy number of calories that you need. Good luck.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Hi Akasa:flowerforyou:
    Perhaps one thing you might try to get a bit more food in is break down your cals to 5-6 mini meals a day and whatever you calorie allotment is per day simple break that up. Nothing wrong with carrots but you might get mighty tired of them if you eat them as one of your main foods often.

How about cereal, eggs and toast, oatmeal with pB things like that for breakfast... a carb/protein combo will make a nice meal and keep your satisifed.

Nuts, PB, avacaods, those are higher in cals to get more cals in. Perhaps an apple cut up with cubed cheese, some nuts and fruit, ya know what I mean. Small mini meals that equal around 200-300 cals depending like I shared on your daily cals quota

hth
    FC:heart:
  • leafylee
    leafylee Posts: 56
    Options
    i would check out www.hillbillyhousewife.com

they have great tips for meal planning on a fixed income ($45/week, it's pretty amazing)

i was in school for 6 years and often only had 20-30$ a week for food, but founf that if i made large batches of stews, soup, spagetti sauces or chili, i could eat well within my budget. add a nice whole grain dinner bun, and you have it made! good luck :smile:
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you like peanut butter, how about spreading it on sliced apples? ...one of my favorite, high-protein treats! Apples are el cheapo. My grocery store has pre-cooked, frozen chicken fajita meat that takes one minute in the microwave to thaw. It lasts a long time and goes nicely into salads or in tortillas (we like corn tortillas) with some homeade pico de gallo (chopped tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, spices) plus a little shredded cheese. Yum-O! My aunt uses this same chicken added to fat-free cream of anything soup, adding some frozen mixed veggies to make it well-rounded. These are all easy ways to get calories and nutrients.
    Sue
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if you're not eating any meat, you should be replacing it with meat substitutes such as nuts, eggs and lentils. The bottom line is snacking on carrots is fine, but your body needs a large supply of nutrients to function and you're certainly not getting them all from carrots.

There are 4 foods groups:

Fruits and veggies: if calories are your problem aim to eat fruits and veggies with higher caloric values such as avacados, bananas, grapes, potatos. That doesn't mean you can't have carrots and other lower cal options as well.

Dairy and Alts: you should be getting 3 (yes 3) servings of these each day. And as a bonus, as long as you aren't lactose intolerant, they're fairly inexpensive. Go for cheese, milk, yogurt, etc. If calorie intake is an issue, stick to regular products not light or fat free ones.

Grains and cereals: Whole grains are very good for you, and as a bonus, they tend to be high in calories. Bread, rice, pasta, and snacks like ricecakes and crackers are all fairly inexpensive, pack a huge nutritional punch and will boost your calories.

Meats: There are inexpensive meat options if you're willing to look for them. You don't have to buy boneless skinless chicken breasts to eat healthy. Buy a whole chicken, or buy the breasts and remove the bones and skin yourself, trust me it's easy! Ground hamburger is super cheap, and watch for sales on pork, steak and other meats. Stock up when they go on sale- all raw meats freeze well. There are other options STILL: tuna and canned meats. They go on sale all the time. Just be sure you're buying products packed in water, not oil. Eggs are a very inexpensive and healthy alternative to meats, and so are nuts.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ...one more thought on this subject: most grocery stores these days sell roasted, whole chickens for around $8 each. These are generally delicious and the meat can be used in a variety of ways (tacos, salads, plain with veggies, soups, sandwiches, mixed with rice, stir fry, with noodles, etc.) You can freeze what meat you don't use within a few days. For one person, there are at least 6 meals, maybe more, from one chicken. That's a little over $2 per meal. What a bargain! Good luck.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    ...one more thought on this subject: most grocery stores these days sell roasted, whole chickens for around $8 each. These are generally delicious and the meat can be used in a variety of ways (tacos, salads, plain with veggies, soups, sandwiches, mixed with rice, stir fry, with noodles, etc.) You can freeze what meat you don't use within a few days. For one person, there are at least 6 meals, maybe more, from one chicken. That's a little over $2 per meal. What a bargain! Good luck.

very true. in fact, my grocery store sells 3 packs of whole chickens for about 18$. which is a ridiculously good deal! My fiance and I get about 3 meals together out of each one. The first night we each have a roasted breast, the next morning I fix homemade soup with the dripping and the meat of the drumsticks, and that evening we have quesadillas made from the thigh meat. Meat is actually not very expensive at all. I actually find produce to be a bigger splurge than the meat I buy. I end up buying a lot of my produce frozen- which by the way it totally fine to do, and cheaper usually.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep yep. We do the same thing.

We also pick up a cheap turkey and roast that too. If we buy one pre-roasted chicken, and 1 turkey, we get about 60 oz of meat out of it. Which is a whole week of dinners (if we wanted to, which we usually don't, we mix up other stuff) for about 13 bucks (we usually pick up a young turkey, about 8 lbs) .

throw in a great (usually with thai or some asian seasoning and some balsamic vinager) big giant salad with onions, peppers, squash, cucumbers, shredded carrots, shredded broccoli, green apples, tomato, peanuts, a little extra virgin olive oil and you have an AWESOME dinner meal with 2 oz of chicken or turkey meat and 8 oz of skim milk (or a serving of 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese).
    That's a complete meal, without one sliver of grain carbs (for all you conspiricy theorists :wink: ), TONS of fiber, good healthy unsaturated fats, a perfect amount of proteins from COMPLETED amino acids (which is important) and pretty much every vitamin and mineral that ever existed. It's also slightly sweet so it satisfies that sweet tooth you may have with natural fructose. You make a giant bowl of that and it stays good in the fridge for about 6 days if you cover it (not that it ever lasts that long for us but...) And it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of about 18 bucks total (not including the chicken), that's about $2 per meal.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    My only add to all the other great advise is instead of buying juice and soda use that money to buy meat that will last you a few days. I buy a roasted chicken that the grocer made and it's 5.99 and it will last about 3 days and I can use that for lunch and/or dinner. Also use a crock pot those type of recipes last days and casseroles. Meals like that last a couple of days.
  • Akasa
    Akasa Posts: 25
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify a bit on the "meat is expensive." I live in Hawaii. Pretty much everything here is about $1 more.(Except for canned juices which I can get 12 for $4 and some of the local fruits and vegitables). I find mysef out of the house and running around a lot, I have only one of each pan, my oven is half the size of the ovens you are used to and doesn't work very well, and I spend around $100 a week on groceries.(With sandwich meat as the only meat I've bought.) Also I have roomies who use pretty much the wole refridgerator and give me grief if I bring home more than 2 bags of groceries telling em that's a lot. :noway:
    The idea of those rosted chickens at the grocery store is a good one. Get some tortillas(there is ONE grocery store that carries tortillas), avacado, and some mild rotel and I can have fajitas.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    try tvp you can look it on online froma heath food store good luck
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I remember those days...baked potatoes....popcorn....string cheese....cottage cheese....these are good foods that are not that expensive (although mostly carbs, not good).

I know how you feel. You want to do better but finances limit you. You can only do what you can do...and when you can do better...YOU WILL! I'm living proof!
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Seems like living in Hawaii you would have access to a lot of fresh fish that would not be too expensive. Cooking fish can be a challenge, but with a little practice, you will get good at it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have my weight and exercise under control for now, so I have turned to budget. Over the past 5 or so years I just walk in and buy what I want at the grocery store.

This week I made a list. On the right I wrote down the meals I wanted to make, then on the left the ingredients I would need to make them.

I was very mindful at the prices as I shopped. A 2 lb bag of baby carrots all clean and shiney was TWICE the price of a comp bag of carrots I must clean and wash myself.

The bag of lettuce I buy for salad was 5 oz for 2.99 the head of Romaine was 1.59.

I did this with all my foods and still chose to buy some frozen veggies (mainly cuz they were on sale)

Plan ahead when going shopping. Think about what you will NEED to eat for the week (or 3 days if you cant go for the week)

I was amazed that I bought all my groceries for the week for 178.00....when I always spend almost $300!!!!!!! THEN I realized I had also purchased a carton of smokes (blech:angry::grumble: :mad: :explode: :embarassed: ) for $35 of that money. SO I shopped for the week for less than $150!! I am very proud of my little self!

It is wonderful you are thinking about this and making changes. Eating carrots all day is not the best thing for you.......a variety of foods especially protein are needed for balance.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from, 50 us is just under 40 canadian. I used to be able to make do on 20 - 30 dollars for two weeks working on minimum wage.

Try this, buy a couple of things of ground beef. About seven - eight dollars together. Cut them up into individual proportions and freeze them in seperate freezer bags. Buy a bag of rice, (3 maybe 4 dollars) a couple cans of cheap tomato sauce. A couple of bags of frozen veggies. A box or two of cereal, with low fat milk and for lunch bread and lunch meat and maybe some lettuce and mayonaise.

Complete meals for two weeks on a fixed income, if I can do it, you can do it.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    I hear ya on higher prices. I live in Canada.... but waaaaaaay in the north. Everything here is very expensive, particularly produce and fresh items like milk and bread. I still wholeheartedly believe you can do it. Lunchmeats will cost you most that fresh meats will if you consider the price in weight. What about canned meats, how are they priced? I know it can be difficult based on where you live. My fiance and I spend about 300.00$ a month on groceries. Which is a lot, but I'm a smart shopper so I make it work.