Lemon water

This is about fresh squeezed lemon juice added to water v/s whole lemon pieces floating in water aka (infused water). Which is the best? My opinion is you get more lemon juice if you juice the lemons, any opinions? Is either way healthy?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I prefer lemon juice to whole lemon if I'm going to add it to water. If you like it, go nuts - if adding lemon juice gets you to drink more water, have at it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    This is about fresh squeezed lemon juice added to water v/s whole lemon pieces floating in water aka (infused water). Which is the best? My opinion is you get more lemon juice if you juice the lemons, any opinions? Is either way healthy?

I think the difference is trivial at most, so do whichever you prefer based on taste/convenience.

There's no reason to think it's UNhealthy, though I'm a believer that no one food is healthy or unhealthy (unless truly poison, an allergen for you, or contraindicated by some other medical condition). Foods are just foods, with varying levels of nutrition, calories, tastiness, filling-ness, convenience.

What can be healthy or unhealthy is one's overall way of eating, IMO. As long as we mix & match foods to reach overall good nutrition at reasonable calories in ways that keep us full and happy, the "healthy food/unhealthy food" thinking is completely unnecessary.

One comment on lemon water: I suspect it's less acidic than many popular juices, sports drinks, and soda pop choices . . . but persistently bathing one's teeth in acidic liquids all day long, generically speaking, may not be the best idea ever.** That said, I do put a small citrus wedge (lemon or lime) in my water glass daily, and leave it there all day, without changing it at refill time. 🤷‍♀️

** This link may not be properly clickable in your app/browser because it has spaces in it, but you should be able to cut/paste it, if you're interested:

https://www.ada.org/en/~/media/ADA/Public Programs/Files/JADA_The pH of beverages in the United States

It's a thing from the American Dental Association about acidity in various drinks, and the implications for dental health.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Slice up a lemon and put it in water. That way the water will have lemon flavor.
    Then take the slices of lemon, cut them up and put them in your salad. That way you will use its fiber and nutrients.
  • reesegrace1
    reesegrace1 Posts: 66 Member
    I like to add lemon to water, it's better than plain boring water, & i read about the PH benefits of alkalining your body. I am also concerned about the acid eating away at my teeth. I was wondering if brushing my teeth afterwards will help with that?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I like to add lemon to water, it's better than plain boring water, & i read about the PH benefits of alkalining your body. I am also concerned about the acid eating away at my teeth. I was wondering if brushing my teeth afterwards will help with that?
    "Alkalining" your body by intake of "alkaline" foods is a myth. The body regulates it's own's pH regardless of what you eat. Any significant shift in pH could mean death.
    And yes brushing your teeth after eating acidic foods will help to protect the enamel.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

No don't brush your teeth just after eating acidic foods, that's a good way to damage the enamel.
    Just rinse your mouth.

PS - the whole alkalize your body thing is complete nonsense, if you did manage to substantially change your body's PH value you would die.
    Can you explain more on the downsides of brushing vs. rinsing? My mom is fighting to keep her teeth (receding gums, decay, infections) and has gotten to the point of brushing 5+ times a day (pretty much after eating or drinking anything). The dentist told her it was way overboard, but not sure how much she has cut back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

No don't brush your teeth just after eating acidic foods, that's a good way to damage the enamel.
    Just rinse your mouth.

PS - the whole alkalize your body thing is complete nonsense, if you did manage to substantially change your body's PH value you would die.
    Can you explain more on the downsides of brushing vs. rinsing? My mom is fighting to keep her teeth (receding gums, decay, infections) and has gotten to the point of brushing 5+ times a day (pretty much after eating or drinking anything). The dentist told her it was way overboard, but not sure how much she has cut back.

How hard one brushes (pressure) matters, too. I've had some tooth wear issues from brushing too hard. If the brush bristles get smushed out to the side quickly, that's one indicator. I'm sure your mom's already using an extra soft brush.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Just rinse your mouth.

Acidic foods soften the enamel: if you brush right after eating acidic foods, your enamel will wear away faster.

Beat me to it. :smiley:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Lemon water is good if you have kidney stones
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    edited January 2021
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    "Alkalining" your body by intake of "alkaline" foods is a myth. The body regulates it's own's pH regardless of what you eat. Any significant shift in pH could mean death.
    And yes brushing your teeth after eating acidic foods will help to protect the enamel.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

My understanding is that brushing your teeth immediately after eating acidic foods is a bad idea, as your enamel will be softer and vulnerable to being worn by the toothbrush and toothpaste. Better to drink plain water or swish with fluoridated mouthwash.

ETA: Sorry, I should have read all the comments after this, including your own, before replying. Seems to be strong consensus on this.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Just rinse your mouth.

Acidic foods soften the enamel: if you brush right after eating acidic foods, your enamel will wear away faster.
    Thanks for the info on softening the enamel - makes sense, and what I was thinking was likely the case. Trying to decide to mention it to my mom or not - after all these years she might be a bit hard on herself about it.
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member

Just rinse your mouth.

That's way too much brushing esp if she's doing it right after she eats. You need to wait 30 to 60 minutes after eating to brush due to (possibly) eating acidic foods.

She's wearing her enamel down on her teeth esp if she's using a hard toothbrush or brushing too hard. My mom brushed too hard and got lectured by her dentist. She thought harder equaled better. Nope.

https://www.healthline.com/health/should-you-brush-your-teeth-before-or-after-breakfast#before-breakfast

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/brushing-teeth-mistakes

https://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/floss-before-or-after-brushing#when-to-see-a-dentist

From what I've put together over the years:

1. Floss before brushing.
    2. After flossing, I like to rinse with hydrogen peroxide to help my gums if they're sore/showing signs of an infection/mouth ulcer. Rinse, spit, keep spitting as it foams up for a few minutes. DO NOT SWALLOW. POISONOUS TO SWALLOW. YMMV. Rinse it out your mouth.
    3. Brush your teeth for 2 minutes.
    4. DO NOT RINSE THE TOOTHPASTE out of your mouth. Let it sit on your teeth so the flouride can do its work in strengthening your teeth. This is also why you shouldn't eat after brushing until 15 to 30 minutes later.
    5. Don't mouthwash immediately after brushing either for same reason as 4. Do it 2 to 3 hours later.

Oil pulling:
    Your mom may want to look into oil pulling. It sounds like fake woo woo stuff, but I do believe it helps. I couldn't afford a dentist for a few years and I tried it with sesame oil about 2 to 3 months before seeing one after learning about it. It worked in getting my teeth clean and plaque off. My dentist could not believe how clean my teeth were. Asked what I was doing and told me to keep it up. He'd been expecting to spend a lot of time on my mouth due to not having dental care for a few years. Shortest visit with a dentist I've ever had.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-benefits-of-oil-pulling

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/oil-pulling-coconut-oil

I either oil pull before breakfast or before bedtime. You oil pull before tooth brushing. Traditionally you oil pull in the morning. I built up to the traditional 20 minutes.

I oil pull then toothbrush. I skip the flossing and hydrogen peroxide so I oil pull then toothbrush.

HTH
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    jeri30 wrote: »

Just rinse your mouth.

That's way too much brushing esp if she's doing it right after she eats. You need to wait 30 to 60 minutes after eating to brush due to (possibly) eating acidic foods.

She's wearing her enamel down on her teeth esp if she's using a hard toothbrush or brushing too hard. My mom brushed too hard and got lectured by her dentist. She thought harder equaled better. Nope.

https://www.healthline.com/health/should-you-brush-your-teeth-before-or-after-breakfast#before-breakfast

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/brushing-teeth-mistakes

https://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/floss-before-or-after-brushing#when-to-see-a-dentist

From what I've put together over the years:

1. Floss before brushing.
    2. After flossing, I like to rinse with hydrogen peroxide to help my gums if they're sore/showing signs of an infection/mouth ulcer. Rinse, spit, keep spitting as it foams up for a few minutes. DO NOT SWALLOW. POISONOUS TO SWALLOW. YMMV. Rinse it out your mouth.
    3. Brush your teeth for 2 minutes.
    4. DO NOT RINSE THE TOOTHPASTE out of your mouth. Let it sit on your teeth so the flouride can do its work in strengthening your teeth. This is also why you shouldn't eat after brushing until 15 to 30 minutes later.
    5. Don't mouthwash immediately after brushing either for same reason as 4. Do it 2 to 3 hours later.

Oil pulling:
    Your mom may want to look into oil pulling. It sounds like fake woo woo stuff, but I do believe it helps. I couldn't afford a dentist for a few years and I tried it with sesame oil about 2 to 3 months before seeing one after learning about it. It worked in getting my teeth clean and plaque off. My dentist could not believe how clean my teeth were. Asked what I was doing and told me to keep it up. He'd been expecting to spend a lot of time on my mouth due to not having dental care for a few years. Shortest visit with a dentist I've ever had.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-benefits-of-oil-pulling

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/oil-pulling-coconut-oil

I either oil pull before breakfast or before bedtime. You oil pull before tooth brushing. Traditionally you oil pull in the morning. I built up to the traditional 20 minutes.

I oil pull then toothbrush. I skip the flossing and hydrogen peroxide so I oil pull then toothbrush.

HTH

I have been using coconut oil, which is a pain in the winter because I have to melt the oil first. Thanks for the tip of using an oil that does not solidify like coconut. I have never heard of not rinsing your teeth after brushing either
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member

A steady stream of lemon water sensitizes my teeth. I now consiously rinse with plain water after drinking the lemon. Seems to stem the tide a bit.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Lemon water is good if you have kidney stones

That's what my urologist told me. It does seem to help. But I goa bit overboard, possibly ... see above comment on sensitizing my teeth as a result.