Calcium

Has anyone figured out how mfp calculates calcium? It seems to me that sometimes it uses mg, and other times it uses the percentage.

For example, 1 cup of kale has about 100 mg of calcium, and mfp calculates that to be 100%. But for yogurt, it uses 15, which is the percentage and not the mg.

Thanks for any help!

Michelle

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    The foods are crowd-sourced. That means anyone could enter them in any way they want. They are entered by other users. You have to vet each entry if you're concerned about accuracy and then edit them before you use them if they are wrong. It takes some time but then you'll have a good personal MY FOODS data list.

MFP as a site uses percentages to calculate.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021
    Remember calcium value is also influence by absorption. Eat it with some vitamin c food to increase absorption.
  • MamboGirl
    MamboGirl Posts: 3 Member
    Oh I understand now - that's very helpful. I will work on making sure the entries are accurate as I enter them.

I hadn't heard about Vitamin C - I take magnesium and phosphorous to increase absorption but I'll work on getting more foods with Vitamin C.

Thanks both of you very much for the tips!
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021
    MamboGirl wrote: »
    Oh I understand now - that's very helpful. I will work on making sure the entries are accurate as I enter them.

I hadn't heard about Vitamin C - I take magnesium and phosphorous to increase absorption but I'll work on getting more foods with Vitamin C.

Thanks both of you very much for the tips!

Yes yes, I was not talking about supplements. I meant food containing vitamin c. Just a simple idea might be an orange diced up in your salad. Or if you like guava they are even lower calories and offer more vitamin c.
  • sponslerml1972
    sponslerml1972 Posts: 2 Member
    Vitamin D is the vitamin that increases calcium absorption. C may be helpful, but D is what the Mayo recommends