Advice for maintenance after VLCD

andream1004
andream1004 Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2021 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I recently finished a 5 week VLCD of 500 calories daily. I’ve increased my calories to around 1000-1100 and am gaining up to a lb a day. Help. How do I return to a healthy calorie intake without gaining weight. I’m eating healthy, only carbs from fruit and vegetables. Why am I gaining weight and how do I stop?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    1 pound of fat a day would be you eating 3,500 calories above your maintenance calories.

Carbs, or types of carbs are irrelevant, except with water weight maybe. Water weight gain (or loss) is going to be temporary.

There are other reasons for water weight gain - stress can be a factor. Your body is certainly stressed from crash dieting

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • andream1004
    It was through a medical weight loss spa. Pretty sure I got suckered falling for the hype of guaranteed quick weight loss. My weight was 145.2 at the end of the 500 calorie days and a week later of eating under 1200 calories is already back up to 148.8
  • andream1004
    Thank you, I will do that. Thanks everyone for responding. The past week has definitely been scary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    edited January 2021
    (duplicate post)
  • andream1004
    I sure will. I’m going to continue to eat healthy and stay under 1500 calories for the next few weeks and see how it goes. Might stay away from the scale as well..at least for the next week.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited January 2021
    Just as a reference point for you...

I've been in Maintenance for 13 years. I am 66 YO, retired, live in a tiny place so not a lot of daily activity.

I am female, 5'7" or 5'8" depending on who measures me, 140-145. I maintain on 2000 calories per day (net, so on exercise days I'm eating about 2400) and have done so for years...I use a digital food scale and log my food, so I'm as close as can be reasonable with those numbers.

1500 may be good for you or it may not, you haven't told us about your daily activity, exercise, age, height. And yeah, don't go back to those people.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    So if you fear weight gain, increase slowly from the 1500 recommended. Over 2 years, I went from maintaining at 1500 cals to 2200 daily cals. Resistance train to help facilitate this, as it will lead to an impressive physique ;)
  • andream1004
    I will definitely increase the calories slowly and start with the resistance training as well. Thank you!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I’m 5’7”, currently 148.4 lb and 43 years old. I work in front of a computer all day. Try to get in at least 20 mins of weight lifting or elliptical through the week. I was around 138 lbs and an antidepressant I was put on caused severe weight gain. That was back in April 2019. Gained 20 lbs and couldn’t get more than a few lbs off. Then with COVID-19 I gained another 10 lbs from sitting home and eating DoorDash every day 😔.

You have very little weight to lose, so 1500 on non-exercise days might be too low for you.

I'd go up to 1700-1800 as quickly as you can, and then a couple hundred or three hundred above that on exercise days. Stick with that for a couple months before making any further changes.