Dare I Say It? Keto

Options
I am one who is always balking at fancy, trendy diet plans but I feel that a keto diet combined with intermittent fasting will help me to lose the last 10 pounds and will help me to cut fat. What are your thoughts on Keto? Does it actually have lasting results or will I gain it all back if I decide to stop?

Replies

• bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I have been doing keto combined with IF for months now. In the beginning it was only keto than after some research I tried IF combined with keto. TBH I dont think I would have been able to do both right from the start, you will put yourself under massive pressure doing both. Keto is fine in itself, I lost a lot of weight just by sticking to a low carb diet, not zero carb though, as many on these pages seem to think. The biggest difficulty I found with keto was to stay within my daily calorie limit, I mean if you eat more fat/protein than your limit it is still going to be hard if not impossible to lose weight regardless of your macros. IMHO get comfortable with keto first than try gradually to move to IF while maintaining a keto diet. The benefit of doing both is to be able to control your calorie intake better more easily.
    There is an argument out there but highly controversial and debated, I will put it out anyway. While your body is in ketosis state your insulin level will be extremely low thus your body will burn its fat reserves at a faster rate, the longer this period lasts the more you will burn. And this is where IF really kicks off like a turbo booster. It kind of makes sense, but like I said it is highly debated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    bubus05 wrote: »
    versial and debated, I will put it out anyway. While your body is in ketosis state your insulin level will be extremely low thus your body will burn its fat reserves at a faster rate, the longer this period lasts the more you will burn. And this is where IF really kicks off like a turbo booster. It kind of makes sense, but like I said it is highly debated.
    If everything were in a vacuum maybe. But if you consume a lot of dietary fat in surplus, it to can be stored as fat due to HSL enzyme.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • thehumanpickle
    thehumanpickle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am one who is always balking at fancy, trendy diet plans but I feel that a keto diet combined with intermittent fasting will help me to lose the last 10 pounds and will help me to cut fat. What are your thoughts on Keto? Does it actually have lasting results or will I gain it all back if I decide to stop?

I can only speak on keto as I have only dabbled with IF--

I had weight loss success with keto a few years ago when it was first coming out as such an It Diet. I think I lost 12 pounds in about 3 weeks, but I burnt out on it quick because I missed fruits and veggies desperately, and as soon as I went back to a balanced diet, I slowly gained it all back despite being cautious.

It works, but everything I have read say it isn't sustainable and my personal experience aligns with that assessment. It really all comes down to a calorie deficit. I decided after that experience to not follow any path that has me greatly restricting one food group or another. Lots of approaches will absolutely give you short term success. I can't live long term on a keto diet, and I want long term results.

That said, run it by your physician. They'll know better than anyone whether it's a good approach for you.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    with any diet, no matter what it is, I always ask the person ' can you maintain that way of eating for the rest of your life?'

if the answer is yes ... go for it.

If no, evaluate your other options.

The majority of us on MFP, especially those that have been around awhile, follow a pretty simple CICIO. if it fits ... you can eat it. I lose consistently (have lost over 130 and maintained for years, and mostly due to covid gained back 50, so I'm back to logging LOL) and I eat oreos every night. my diary is public. go look. sometimes 3. sometimes 7. sometimes with milk, too LOL not usually but sometimes. last night I did lol

everyone wants fast results. but... fast results tend to not be LONG LASTING results. Better to lose it slowly, be able to eat the things you enjoy and want (in moderation) and keep it off, then lose fast and gain it all back, or burn out and give up because you are restricting too much, and give up because you cant keep to it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I know very, very few people that have maintained on Keto. It's one binge away from a disaster for most.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I know very, very few people that have maintained on Keto. It's one binge away from a disaster for most.

I mean, people to do it for awhile seem to be successful, but I seem to have a lot more friends proclaiming they need to "get back on Keto because that way of eating suited me best!" than actually doing keto and being successful long term.

I always want to ask...well, if it's what suited you so perfectly and it was so great, then why did you stop? 🤔
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    1te9uss9g9o2.jpeg

Anything providing a deficit will work. But if it’s not a way you plan on eating for the rest of your life you are likely to gain it all back and more. This is why most people eat whatever they want and just count calories (weighed by a food scale). It’s a win-win.

This
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

This applies to every single diet or lifestyle change. Long term weight loss is like 5-10% successful.

I did Keto and it worked pretty well. But it kills my gym performance which is why i generally come off of it. But i often run periods of Keto if i gain some weight back.

Ultimately, it comes down to what is sustainable. So try it and see if it works for you. And then develop a transition plan for maintenance.