Warmest COLD! Weather running coat for men

Options
I’m a man, and a wimp in the cold. I need recommendations from others like myself who live in a climate -10 to 20 degree “real feel” is common
Looking for coat recommendations

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Layers are really your best bet. How you feel when running depends not just on the temperature but the sun, the wind, how far into the run you are, how intense your run is, etc. It takes some experimentation to see what works for you under different conditions.

I generally run cold, but when running I don't actually need a lot of clothes. A long sleeved shirt and light wind jacket are comfortable from 40 to 30 degrees. If I add a light fleece or vest, I'm sweating at feels like of 10 degrees or less. Having layers means I can take off a layer, or at least unzip a couple of layers. When it's cold I take two pairs of gloves - one pair for the first two or three miles, when my hands need more protection and a lighter pair I change into when they start sweating as they always do. I wear an ear band for under 40, a fleece hat if it's under 32, and add a light balaclava when the feels like is below 5 degrees.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing any kind of exercise I make plenty of my own heat, the warmest COLD! weather jacket is going to have me sweating, feeling clammy, and then getting chilled. I need breathability and you probably do too. How much warmth, wind blocking, and breathability is going to take some experimenting to find because it's different for everybody and even on different days.

I really love my Arc'teryx Proton, I use the fast and light version for everything from summer climbing to winter Nordic skiing. They're not cheap, I got mine on sale. 🙂
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don’t have huge amounts of experience, I don’t tolerate cold well (in that one cold weather run takes its toll on my body, sometimes for weeks, but I hate indoor exercise so I take my chances sometimes)... I have found this year that breathable is key! I wore a light rain jacket for my first below freezing run of the year and ended up soaked by the end, perspiration and condensation running between my vest and jacket. It was nasty! The last run I went with a thicker fleece and that was a much better option... unfortunately I tried new mittens I had just found at a thrift store - waterproof, not a good plan, my hands were dripping with sweat. I am liking the idea of two pairs of gloves! Brilliant!

There are some good visual guides for how to dress for different temps that have really helped me... at freezing or below I have fleece lined leggings, socks that cover my ankles, a thicker UA base layer longsleeve, vest, jacket, gloves/mittens, hat over the ears, and this last time a light buff over my mouth until my lungs acclimated. I can’t imaging running in temps below 20*F... I think my body would make it for the run, but shut down for a month afterwards!
  • bcalvanese
    bcalvanese Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agree with layers, and always wear one more layer than you think you will need.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Centigrade of Fahrenheit?
  • KyleKlink
    KyleKlink Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fahrenheit.
    My current setup for today 27 degrees F real feel,
    Thermal base layer tops and bottoms tek shirt thermal running pants
    Fleece running sweatshirt thin outer water resistant windbreaker
    Did not need my balaclava today. Ran 20 min which doesn’t really warm me up until the last 5 min
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You really do run cold. I'd be sweating buckets in all that at 20 degrees colder. The fact that you don't run for long does make a difference though. It takes me 15 minutes to warm up completely as well, though I am usually only cool, not cold when I start out. I know if I'm comfortable leaving the house, I'll be too hot in a very short time. Have you tried warming up before you leave the house?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I don’t have huge amounts of experience, I don’t tolerate cold well (in that one cold weather run takes its toll on my body, sometimes for weeks, but I hate indoor exercise so I take my chances sometimes)... I have found this year that breathable is key! I wore a light rain jacket for my first below freezing run of the year and ended up soaked by the end, perspiration and condensation running between my vest and jacket. It was nasty! The last run I went with a thicker fleece and that was a much better option... unfortunately I tried new mittens I had just found at a thrift store - waterproof, not a good plan, my hands were dripping with sweat. I am liking the idea of two pairs of gloves! Brilliant!

There are some good visual guides for how to dress for different temps that have really helped me... at freezing or below I have fleece lined leggings, socks that cover my ankles, a thicker UA base layer longsleeve, vest, jacket, gloves/mittens, hat over the ears, and this last time a light buff over my mouth until my lungs acclimated. I can’t imaging running in temps below 20*F... I think my body would make it for the run, but shut down for a month afterwards!

If fleece is working for you, try a grid fleece. It'll be sightly less warm but lots more breathable. Eddie Bauer makes one that's a good value and goes on sale regularly.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    I think running in cold weather is fun. I made ice shoes by screwing sheet metals screws into an old pair of running shoes. Actually, I hate hot days!

Maybe I can summarize my approach (degF). I do adjust for wind or if I just want to start warmer. (Sometimes you pay for that later in the run!)

>60+ Shorts, T, running hat

50-60: Shorts, compression shirt, running hat

45-50: Tights, compression shirt, gloves, thin beanie (Gloves come off once I get warm)

32-44: Joggers, compression shirt, fleece vest, gloves, thin neck gator, thin beanie. (Vest can be unzipped if I get too warm.)

<32: Joggers, wool socks, compression shirt, 2nd upper layer, (maybe) fleece vest or coat, heavier gloves, fleece gator, fleece hat.

I've carried hand warmers on colder days (my hands are a problem). The coldest I've gone so far is about 15degF on a windy day. I wore a full windbreaker over the other stuff!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    >60+ Shorts, T, running hat

50-60: Shorts, compression shirt, running hat

45-50: Tights, compression shirt, gloves, thin beanie (Gloves come off once I get warm)

32-44: Joggers, compression shirt, fleece vest, gloves, thin neck gator, thin beanie. (Vest can be unzipped if I get too warm.)

<32: Joggers, wool socks, compression shirt, 2nd upper layer, (maybe) fleece vest or coat, heavier gloves, fleece gator, fleece hat.

I'm going to base off yours, fellow hat wearer ;)

50+: shorts, tech shirt, lightweight running hat

40-50: shorts, longsleeve tech shirt, heavyweight running hat

30-40: tights, longsleeve shirt, gloves, beenie

<30: thights, light jacket, longsleeve shirt, gloves, beenie.

If it's raining, shift everything below 50 down a level ;) . 35 and rain is just brutal!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

If fleece is working for you, try a grid fleece. It'll be sightly less warm but lots more breathable. Eddie Bauer makes one that's a good value and goes on sale regularly.
    I will check that out - thanks!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    This is a great discussion. Right after I wrote my response, I went running in 34degF conditions (dark with no breeze). I wore just as listed, but found the neck gator to be too hot, so I slipped it off after a mile.

I find the fleece vest to be fantastic because it breathes and it can be fully un-zipped, if necessary. You can get one from a number of places, but mine is LL Bean.

I also really like the Underarmor "Cold-Gear" compression mock. It is incredibly warm under a 2nd layer (vest, thin tech hoodie, long-sleeve fleece, or windbreaker). And it works by itself down to about 45degF. I now own two at $50/ea.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/tops/mens-ua-coldgear-armour-compression-mock/1265648.html?start=0

I'm split on compression tights. I think they look goofy with shorts, but without shorts I feel immodest. I feel much more comfortable in joggers, and the pockets are a plus, but sometimes they're just too warm. What's a boy to do?

(And, I cycle in tight bike shorts and tights all the time. So, it's totally in my head!)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Layers are really your best bet. How you feel when running depends not just on the temperature but the sun, the wind, how far into the run you are, how intense your run is, etc.
    Yes layering is the key.

I would add that the 'jacket' should just be a good wind/water shell rather than padded. Then you can use it through 3 seasons by changing your sub layers. The jacket should be easy to adjust the zip/venting while running, or easy take it off and tie around your waist after you've warmed up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For really cold days nothing beats a merino wool base layer.

It gets cold here and I've run quite comfortably down to almost -40 (same in C or F) with a merino wool base layer, merino wool socks, med weight tights (most important thing is that they're wind proof) with a med weight half zip & fleece layer topped off with a running shell. For me the hardest thing to dial in was gloves and on ended up settling on Columbia gloves with the reflective lining. Typically my hands will be cold to start but once I'm warmed up they're toasty warm.

Everyone's cold tolerance is different, it;'ll take some trial end error.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @BrianSharpe -40 deg! You'd have to wear a space suit! Man, that's extreme. Post a picture!
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love Patagonia’s Micropuff Hoodie. Buy a size smaller than you might for casual wear so it hugs the body a bit more. This is a packable, breathable piece with better water management than down. It’s built for climbers, so it was designed to move with your body and keep you warm in rapidly changing conditions. Patagonia has literally made their name supplying technical garments for all levels of outdoor activity. Back this up with a World-Class warranty and repair service. Their stuff is awesome!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    @BrianSharpe -40 deg! You'd have to wear a space suit! Man, that's extreme. Post a picture!

hji6blebzlqw.jpg

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    I wear a balaclava and layer clothes and wear gloves. 5am everymorning rain or shine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Think LAYERS, not a coat!

Why would you want 2 run in a coat anyway?

Also think about "breathability" of the material of the layers.

Synthetic materials like polypropelene is good for the base/mid layers and Gortex (or similar) is best 4 the top layer, especially if it's raining bc it's waterproof and breathable.

I'm currently wearing 3 layers, bottom and top, and I don't EVER run and don't ski anymore but I usually wore 3 layers when I did.

• Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I run really cold! Up to -40. Layers is the way to go. I have a shell jacket on top, and a warm running hoody under, and then layer long sleeve shirts (1or 2) and then ashort sleeve shirt. I find once I start running a block or two, I've sufficiently warmed up. I usually wear a runners balaclava and sometimes I've even put Vaseline around my eyes to protect the uncovered skin.