Tell Me About Xanthan Gum

Options
I know nothing about using xanthan gum to cook with.

Before I commit to a bag....

Have you used it? How? What is it good at? What is it gross in? Any tummy upsets? Preferred brands?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

Have you used it? How? What is it good at? What is it gross in? Any tummy upsets? Preferred brands?

It is primarily a thickening agent and you will commonly see it as an ingredient in commercial sauces, gravies, etc. Outside of that, it is most commonly used in gluten free baking as it adds the tackiness that is lacking in baked goods without gluten.

I've never used it for cooking personally, but often see it as an ingredient in processed commercial goods as noted above.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its used in gluten free items as a replacement for (most typically) flour. you can buy GF flour with xantham gum included in it. I prepare meals for an elderly neighbor with celiac and use it in all of his stuff (well, where one would use flour lol)
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I use it in my protein ice cream that I make every night. I've only tried 2 brands: Bob's Red Mill and Carrington Farms. Bob's might work a little better (for the recipe I use it in), but I usually just grab whatever one I can find at the store. I also think Carrington Farms is a bit cheaper.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've used it when making 'keto bread' in my bread-maker.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Can cause extreme and painful gas. Be cautious. I'm celiac, but really limit how much commercial bread I eat because it really irritates me. My wife isn't and it does the same to her.

When I bake gluten free bread (which is the main use for it -- make gluten free bread have a closer texture to regular bread) -- I don't use it. I've found for yeast raised breads, buying Caputto Gluten Free flour works out much better for me. I get it on Amazon. It's flippin amazing. It's the only gluten free flour that rises like regular flour. Tastes like it too, even without Xanthan Gum.

Quick breads are easy and I used cheaper GF flour, but GF yeast breads are harder to make good.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,711 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y’all. I bought a bag to try as a binding agent in “chaffles”, but tbh I got better results with a pinch of baking powder.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I used to make vegan cheese and I used as a thickening agent agar agar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Can't remember why I had some on hand but I have used xanthum gum instead of guar gum in this DIY moisturizing soap recipe:

https://bodyunburdened.com/diy-all-natural-rich-creamy-moisturizing-hand-soap/
  • springlering62
    Options
    Interesting, @kshama2001

Thanks for the tip. I might try this. I can’t find my olive oil soap anymore and the Dove I bought smells so chemical-ish and is drying out my skin. I loath the smell of Dove. Makes me want to run screaming from the bathroom.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks, y’all. I bought a bag to try as a binding agent in “chaffles”, but tbh I got better results with a pinch of baking powder.

I found that my chaffles are better with baking powder compared to xatham gum. I generally do 1/2 tsp/serving.

It has been pretty consistent with my chocolate chip, peanut butter, cinnamon, gingerbread, and italian savory chaffles.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I use it in my protein ice cream that I make every night. I've only tried 2 brands: Bob's Red Mill and Carrington Farms. Bob's might work a little better (for the recipe I use it in), but I usually just grab whatever one I can find at the store. I also think Carrington Farms is a bit cheaper.

I too make protein ice 'cream' using it everyday....use Bob Mill's - It thickens it for sure but also eliminates the iciness that usually happens when making it too. I also use it for the egg white flat 'bread' that I make too - thickens and adds stability to the egg whites.

You need to play around with the amounts used (start small - I use 1/4-1/2 tsp. for my purposes)
  • springlering62
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I too make protein ice 'cream' using it everyday....use Bob Mill's - It thickens it for sure but also eliminates the iciness that usually happens when making it too. I also use it for the egg white flat 'bread' that I make too - thickens and adds stability to the egg whites.

You need to play around with the amounts used (start small - I use 1/4-1/2 tsp. for my purposes)

Please tell me about your egg white flat bread.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Please tell me about your egg white flat bread.
    bm8nstzftsv6.png
    Here's my low calorie version: 115 calories total and 13 grams protein

2 tbsp. of coconut flour
    .5 tsp of baking powder
    3 egg whites
    .5 tsp of xanthum gum

whip egg whites til stiff. whip xanthum gum and mix and mix and mix!. sift and fold flour and b. powder into eggs careful not deflate. Spray doughnut molds - bake for around 10 minutes @ 350 degrees F
    alri4vbbtov8.jpg

This one is just made into 'bread'....

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Interesting, @kshama2001

Thanks for the tip. I might try this. I can’t find my olive oil soap anymore and the Dove I bought smells so chemical-ish and is drying out my skin. I loath the smell of Dove. Makes me want to run screaming from the bathroom.

I hear ya! My OH cleaned the bathroom yesterday and I want to gag over the lingering smell of the cleanser.

In the kitchen I use 7th Generation dish soap for my hands as well as the dishes.

My current recipe for the homemade soap is rose massage oil and rose castille soap.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Solutions-Tranquil-Rose-Massage-Oil-8-fl-oz-237-ml/42784

For castille soap, I normally use Dr. Bronners or Dr. Woods, but I see there is a Dr. Jacobs now too:

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=rose+castille+soap+liquid&crid=1RVSMT0NVU8G5&sprefix=rose+castille,aps,186&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_2_13

Before I got the soap recipe I used to use this shampoo, which handily comes in a pump bottle, for my bathroom soap:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Avalon-Organics-Shampoo-Nourishing-Lavender-32-fl-oz-946-ml/18771
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

My go to thickening agent is tapioca flour which is cheap, gluten free, and readily available (especially in Asian Groceries).
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    It is mainly used as a thickening agent however tread carefully as it can cause digestive issues.

Lucy
    [edited by MFP mods]