do you measure frozen veggies before or after cooking?

Options
measure the 2/3 cup while still frozen? or cook a bunch [for the whole family] and measure out 2/3 cup from there? :)

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i do it before personally
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    I do before too!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Depends for me... If it is the kind that you steam in the bag and I am going to cook the whole bag, then I do it after I cook them. But if I have a big bag that I will eat from for a while, then I will measure before I cook them....
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually do after I cook them but it usually says like 1/2 cup prepared.
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    thanks! i've been measuring before as well.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't measure my veggies at all because they are so low in calories and non-fat! Maybe i'm wrong for it but I ate sugar snap peas for 2 and it was only 80 calories.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think I googled this and found out that by certain laws and codes, etc., the label must reflect the product in the package as you buy it so frozen....UNLESS it specifically says "as prepared"

:)
  • siouxzq4
    siouxzq4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't measure my veggies either. In fact, I usually have 2 servings.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't really measure them either since I'll usually just eat the entire bag of frozen veggies. :P Just multiply total number of servings by the cals in one serving, yep.
  • kimziebaby
    kimziebaby Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I measure mine after :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't measure my veggies either. In fact, I usually have 2 servings.

you should be careful with this though...especially with corn. corn is really high in calories. most of the time its not such a big deal, but with corn i always always measure...anything else ill just guesstimate
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I usually measure after as it most of the time will give a "prepared" serving as well....Like tonight, I had Birds Eye Stir Fry Teriyaki, and it said 2 cups frozen, 1 cup prepared....so...
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I think I googled this and found out that by certain laws and codes, etc., the label must reflect the product in the package as you buy it so frozen....UNLESS it specifically says "as prepared"

:)

Very true. The reason why popcorn bags say there are significantly more cals in unpopped popcorn is because they have to factor in, I guess, the oil and whatnot used to get it popping.