Strength Training on a calorie deficit?

Options
I'm male, 175cm (5'7) and have a BMI of 31,2. Started with mfp again 4 weeks ago and lost 8kg (17lbs). Very happy with the results!

So far I only do cardio: 1h cycling per day at very light to light effort (according to heart rate). Just to get back into things.

Now I wanted to start with weight training: Squats, Bench Press, Deadlifts etc. (Starting Strength program).

I'm unsure about a few things ...
  • Should I start lifting now already on a caloric deficit? Or should I first cut down to my goal (BMI 25) and then start lifting?
  • If I start now, should I progressively raise the weights I lift? Or should I just stay at my current maximum?
  • Will I waste any "newbie gains" this way? Or is that irrelevant?

I would be very happy if somebody here can help!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Start now, no need to wait.
    If you are doing Starting Srength follow the progamme for the weight increase.

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Start now - strength training while losing weight is a huge signal to your body to retain existing muscle. (It's far easier and efficient to keep your muscle rather than risk losing it and taking ages to regain it.)

Yes keep progressing, don't change your program unless you have to. (And if you have to that can be a sign you are trying to lose weight too fast.)

Irrelevant.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The other posts are spot on, but here are some other tidbits.

You will likely read that gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus. While it's true that a calorie surplus is optimal for adding muscle, it is not an absolute requirement. If performed correctly (progressive overload and sufficient protein intake) you can gain some muscle while in a caloric deficit: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/103/3/738/4564609

Even if you don't gain muscle, you will at least increase your chances of mitigating muscle loss. Most people lose significant muscle mass in addition to fat loss during extended weight loss if they don't add strength training.

Also, you can gain strength without gaining muscle. There are other adaptations that will be triggered in your body to adapt to the increased load.

Yes, you should slowly increase either the weight or the reps during your journey. Another option is to slowly add more exercises to the routine while also increasing weight or reps for the existing exercises. My motto with fitness is "Start with a little every week and every week do a little more"
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Start yesterday.

At the rate you are losing weight I wouldn't expect a great success with any program but training is better than not and probably somewhere around 8 weeks you will be ready for more advanced programming.

If you slow your weight loss down to something more reasonable like .5-1lb a week you will probably feel a bit better running that program in particular since it is linear and lacks load management.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'll start next week after my regular blood donation!

Also, you can gain strength without gaining muscle.

I'm not sure if I understand this point.

My goal is to gain strength. I don't really care about "looks" or "muscle volume" (if that makes any sense). I expect that at some point I have to gain muscle to gain more strength?

Chieflrg wrote: »
    At the rate you are losing weight I wouldn't expect a great success with any program but training is better than not and probably somewhere around 8 weeks you will be ready for more advanced programming.

If you slow your weight loss down to something more reasonable like .5-1lb a week you will probably feel a bit better

I think I only lost so much weight because I started with a BMI of 34.6.

My first goal is to reach 30 (overweight, not obese anymore). Then I'll adjust my calories so that I won't lose as fast anymore.

[...] running that program in particular since it is linear and lacks load management.

Is there a program that is better suited for me? I only know SS. But I would like to stick with the compound exercises. I want my main exercises to be squat and dealift for now.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Started 4 weeks ago. Every new client I get starts strength training day one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    75in2013 wrote: »

Increase in lean muscle mass is one type of response to strength training but there are others (neuroendocrine adaptations, even cardiovascular adaptations) that contribute to strength. I will not pretend to understand those adaptations in detail but can tell you that it is certainly not a controversial topic -- you will gain strength even when you don't gain muscle.
    My goal is to gain strength. I don't really care about "looks" or "muscle volume" (if that makes any sense). I expect that at some point I have to gain muscle to gain more strength?

You should care about gaining or at least retaining muscle -- not because of appearance but because of your long term health and the increased metabolism you get from muscle mass.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck !
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Start now! I've been strength training in a deficit for years. Admittedly a very small deficit these days as I am trying to recomp rather than lose weight as such. My strength has improved no end. Maybe I would have got stronger if I had eaten more, but I don't care. The main thing is I got on the right track and stayed on it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'll start next week after my regular blood donation!

If you slow your weight loss down to something more reasonable like .5-1lb a week you will probably feel a bit better

I think I only lost so much weight because I started with a BMI of 34.6.

My first goal is to reach 30 (overweight, not obese anymore). Then I'll adjust my calories so that I won't lose as fast anymore.

[...] running that program in particular since it is linear and lacks load management.

Is there a program that is better suited for me? I only know SS. But I would like to stick with the compound exercises. I want my main exercises to be squat and dealift for now.

Although your BMI is more than likely a rough guesstimate of your body composition. Waist measurement is suggested to be more accurate screening tool.

For a non asian male we are takking getting below 36" so not be higher risk.

BMI is just a screening tool. Not considered to be accurate for many reasons by itself.

Starting strength is fine to begin with to any untrained person. Just about any program will yield results in that case.

I just would waste my time with the idea of deloading that program or many of the suggestions post completion of it by the author(s). There simply better options after if you plan to run it or not.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Should I start lifting now already on a caloric deficit? Or should I first cut down to my goal (BMI 25) and then start lifting? Absolutly no need to wait.
    If I start now, should I progressively raise the weights I lift? Or should I just stay at my current maximum? Keep a logbook of your training, progressively overload through the weeks, if you find that you're losing strength look at other factors, you might need to add some more carbs in at that point or check your sleep it adequate and your activity outside of the gym is not affecting your training
    Will I waste any "newbie gains" this way? Or is that irrelevant? As long as your diet (mainly you protein quality and quality) is on point you should progress and will not go backwards.

Lucy
    [edited by MFP mods]