Breast cancer surgery and running

Options
Hi I was running 5-8km 3-4 times a week sadly I had to have a lumpectomy ( breast cancer surgery 3 weeks ago and I still can’t walk without some pain.
I am top heavy small back I wondered how long it took anyone to run again ?
Thanks xx

Replies

• MissMackOnTrack21
    MissMackOnTrack21 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Walking 3weeks post op is a great idea! Typically after surgery you should wait 6 to 8 weeks for anything more vigorous like running. It’s hard to wait, but it’s so important you allow your incisions a such a chance to heal properly. Have you asked your surgeon? Probably best to get the ok from your doctors before running.
    Having some pain at 3 weeks post op is normal, but watch for redness or anything that looks too swollen or tender.
    I’ve had a lumpectomy and (then double mastectomy) and was a marathon runner at that time, so I understand your desire to get back to running. Best of luck to you:)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is a runner, and was able to walk briskly without pain about 3 months post surgery, but it was almost a year before she could run comfortably.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    size102be wrote: »
    Hi I was running 5-8km 3-4 times a week sadly I had to have a lumpectomy ( breast cancer surgery 3 weeks ago and I still can’t walk without some pain.
    I am top heavy small back I wondered how long it took anyone to run again ?
    Thanks xx

Everyone is different, but moving will help. Just don't overdo it.
    I had a brain tumor removed 8 years ago and I spent 1 month in bed in ICU. I couldn't even go up one step when I got out. Feel what your body tells you. Start walking. When you feel better alternate walking and jogging.
    Running brought me back to normality, but to me it took a good 4 months before I could even run just 1 mile.