Keto Lifestyle but Can't Get Into Ketosis

Options
I have been good with following the Keto diet and maintaining carbs below 22g per day, exercising (cycling, ellytical, walking) about 3 times per week @ 40 minutes each time, and managed to lose 22 lbs in the first 3 weeks, but haven't lost any in the last 2 1/2 weeks. I have a total of 100 more lbs to lose, so I would not expect to plateau this soon. I never felt like I had gotten into ketosis (no typical side effects) so I got the Ketostyx to test but apparently I am only showing trace amounts of ketones. What am I doing wrong?

On another note, the carbs that are tracked in the food diary, are they net carbs? because the recipes are not broken down as net carbs, so my counts are typically showing total carbs, so as far as net carbs go, I am consuming considerably less than the 22g.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies

• Rathiain
    Rathiain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am tracking calories as well. Before I started on this, I was consuming easily over 2500 cal/day and maintaining. When I started on this track, I set the goal at 1700 as was recommended to me, and I recently dropped it to 1500 for the past 5 days with no changes.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • Rathiain
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Rathiain wrote: »
    I am tracking calories as well. Before I started on this, I was consuming easily over 2500 cal/day and maintaining. When I started on this track, I set the goal at 1700 as was recommended to me, and I recently dropped it to 1500 for the past 5 days with no changes.

The only way one can lose weight is a calorie deficit, carbs do not matter. If you don’t see a loss over time you might want to start weighing your food on a food scale. Read the stickies as to why that makes a huge difference in your logging accuracy.

Most recipes I make are in grams, so weighing everything is becoming the norm. :)
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »

The only way one can lose weight is a calorie deficit, carbs do not matter. If you don’t see a loss over time you might want to start weighing your food on a food scale. Read the stickies as to why that makes a huge difference in your logging accuracy.

Most recipes I make are in grams, so weighing everything is becoming the norm. :)

That’s perfect! Sounds like you’re gonna do great 😊
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Who recommended the 1700 cals? Why did you then drop if by another 200? Go in to the Goals - Guided Set Up screen, here on MFP, enter your stats, set your goal for weight loss and then get a target number of cals. That's how many (net) cals you should be eating per day. MFP is designed for you to log and eat your exercise cals on top of that, however, many people think that MFP estimates their exercise burn so only eat a percentage (50-75%) instead.

Also, is your exercise regime new or have you always done this? If it's new, your body is probably retaining water.

Get a defined number of calories to eat, eat that many cals, eat your exercise cals (or your chosen percentage), give it 6 weeks and then compare where you're at now with where you are then, and see if you're losing at the expected rate. If not, you can look to adjust accordingly.
  • Rathiain
    Options
    Who recommended the 1700 cals? Go in to the Goals - Guided Set Up screen, here on MFP, enter your stats, set your goal for weight loss and then get a target number of cals.
    In addition to my doctor, when I stepped through the guided setup, it set it at 1700 as well. Because I had not been losing the weight, I chose to drop it to 1500 this past week.
    is your exercise regime new or have you always done this?
    Not a new exercise regime, but more frequent. I was once or twice per week previously.
    Get a defined number of calories to eat, eat that many cals, eat your exercise cals (or your chosen percentage), give it 6 weeks and then compare where you're at now with where you are then, and see if you're losing at the expected rate. If not, you can look to adjust accordingly.
    Curiosity question. If the goal is to lose weight, would it not be better to NOT eat the exercise cals?
  • Rathiain
    Options
    I should probably mention that I am 57 yrs old, so time of month is not quite so relevant anymore. Someone linked a neat script for MFP that adds a column to the Diary for the calculated net carbs. I'll be interested to see the differences and 'no' I originally did not have the fiber as one of the columns. I do now :) tbh, I can't remember which activity level I selected, but it was either the lowest or second lowest since I am a desk jockey working from home now.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Check out the low carber group. They have lots of links and info. I am new to keto but I believe what you are describing is normal. You lose a lot at first and then may stall and slow down.
  • Rathiain
    Options
    Carbs have a huge affect on me. I feel almost like I've been drugged whenever I eat carbs of much quantity and with that comes mental clarity. I never used to be like that, but I definitely need to watch out now. As for the ketostyx, I was leery about spending too much on something that still would not give me great accuracy and for the ones I have read up on, none seem to hold up to their claims. a ballpark idea would be nice though.
  • Rathiain
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Check out the low carber group. They have lots of links and info. I am new to keto but I believe what you are describing is normal. You lose a lot at first and then may stall and slow down.

L1zardQueen linked this earlier. I joined the group but haven't read through it yet.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    don't get too discouraged. a few things. you could be too high in protein (for you personally) or are too high in milk sugars. another thing is that after some time being fat adapted, the ketostix won't accurately measure the kind of ketones you are dropping. the rine sticks stop picking up levels once you are fully adapted for longer period of time. also don't get too stuck on the amount. you are either in or not in ketosis. trace verses large doesn't really matter. ketosis is ketosis. the symptoms you say you didn't feel...they can be different for everyone. for me, they are more cold like symptoms,.....sore throat stuffed nose....a bad headache. do a bit more research. i lost 126 pounds only counting carbs more than 13 years ago and have kept it off give or take 13 pounds. at 40 grams per day.i agree about not you shouldn't have posted on this forum as it may not be the place for you. i don't think you will get a lot of support here. maybe hop on some low carb or keto forum or look elsewhere for support.