Treadmill Confusion

Options
So, I’ll admit I think I ventured into the land of over researching this issue and am probably just at the point of everything confuses me. I have read many similar posts on this site, but in an effort to sort out my brain I just decided to post my own post and not add to others. I apologize in advance if I come across as whiny in this post, but let’s be honest - I’m probably a little whiny in this post.

I’d love some recommendations on a treadmill for home use – at about 10 miles between 2 people a day. This would equate to about 2-2.5 hours with each of us walking 1-2 miles and running 3-4 miles at a running pace around 6.0, with the occasional 8.0 sprint.

I’ve read lots of previous treadmill posts on MFP that suggest Sole. We have a Sole F63. It melted. Literally, lol. The connections between the speed control board and motor literally melted and the pieces soldered on are now dangling in the breeze. We’ve replaced the speed control board twice, the belt once, and the motor twice – and it’s currently out of commission waiting for another belt which keeps warping due to the heat from the motor when used. We maintain it. We are supposedly “under” the max use a day according to the company, and it was purchased in Fall 2019 – so it’s not old. So… I’m kind of over Sole and their 2 hour wait times to be told the machine is fine just replace a part. #unimpressed

Personally, I’ve received a lot of recommendations for Nordictrack and were pretty set on getting one of those. Then we went to a local Fitness Equipment store who informed us that Nordictrack was garbage and they refused to sell them. They highly recommended True and Spirit. We were pretty sure that Spirit was the same company as Sole, you know since we’ve had so much warranty communication with them, but we were emphatically told by the store this was NOT the case they were very separate companies. So we left to think things over, and when we got home – sure enough all of our Sole replacement parts came from Spirit Fitness and when Hubs googled it he was informed they were the same company. So now I’m like, ok how much does this store actually know.

So then I came here, and read the forums- and Sole seems to be popular and I’m just… confused. LOL. HELP. We know we should get a commercial grade one that’s rated for continuous use at this point – but what brand is most reliable? My fat booty needs to lose another 30lbs and I need a treadmill to do it since the weather and daylight hours aren’t in favor of me running outside regularly. I’m over Sole, I’m skeptical of Nordictrack and Spirit. Maybe I just need to move to the South where I can run outside year-round? That actually seems cheaper than a True. LOL.

Thanks all. Apologies for the whininess and what probably is a redundant topic you’re all tired of hearing about. <3

Replies

• festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you have Sole and have it repaired, run it until it doesn't work anymore. Honestly they can all have problems but you may get it repaired and never have another issue with it.

I've never heard too much bad about Nordictrack and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Personally I've got a Sole F63 and haven't had any issues. From the issues you're having I'd make sure you're getting it the correct power. If you have it on a lower amp circuit, not plugged directly in the outlet, or have an issue with the power cord you'll overheat things regularly.

If you're dead set on commercial you're going to be looking at $5k+ for brand new and a dedicated 20amp circuit to run it. We use exclusively Precor they'll give us 3 years of service without anything other than regular cleaning. You're also going to pay for parts, last deck/belt we had replaced ran $1200.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    If you have Sole and have it repaired, run it until it doesn't work anymore. Honestly they can all have problems but you may get it repaired and never have another issue with it.

I've never heard too much bad about Nordictrack and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Personally I've got a Sole F63 and haven't had any issues. From the issues you're having I'd make sure you're getting it the correct power. If you have it on a lower amp circuit, not plugged directly in the outlet, or have an issue with the power cord you'll overheat things regularly.

If you're dead set on commercial you're going to be looking at $5k+ for brand new and a dedicated 20amp circuit to run it. We use exclusively Precor they'll give us 3 years of service without anything other than regular cleaning. You're also going to pay for parts, last deck/belt we had replaced ran $1200.

Thank you! I will forward hubs over the note about the power and see if that’s na issue. I know we’re plugged in directly but I don’t know what else is on the circuit.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are in the "heavy usage" category! Even more so if either user is over 185lbs.

Anyway, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles, since I'm considering Sole as well. Man, it SUCKS to buy something expensive only to have problems in the first couple of years. It may just be that you bought too low-end of a model. The better models feature better motors, beefier belts, larger rollers, etc. which make them much more reliable.

You can fix and hope that the problems go away (you never know). Or you could fix it and sell it, upgrading to something better. Or, you could fix and buy a 2nd better one and keep this one for parallel workouts for however long it lasts. Then the lighter person should run on this one.

My runner friends insist that the minimum investment is about $2.5k to get something that will hold up for several years. And one just bought the Peloton Tread which is closer to $5k. It seems like several brands are good, including Sole, LifeFitness, and Precor. I'm sure the higher-end NordicTrack's are fine, too. It may pay to get a service contract.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's too bad that PaceMaster went out of business, while I don't use mine as much as you're using yours it's performed flawlessly for about 12 years and only now is starting to show its age (speed control needs replacing but there are no parts). The only complaint I've ever had about it is that a wider deck would have been nice.

When it gives up the ghost I'm 90% certain that my next one will be a Precor or Life Fitnesss that's what you see the gyms using.It won't be commercial version as I don't feel like dropping $8 to $10,000.

Another option (this is the inner pessimist in me) is that there could be a supply of used commercial ones becoming available as I'm sure that many gyms won't survive the pandemic and those that do will probably scale back operations for the foreseeable future.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I've got a ProForm 770 that we've had for more than a few years now (probably 5-6) and I've had zero issues with it. My wife found it on Craigslist or some such for a VERY reasonable price, was practically new and guy just needed it gone. I use it sometimes 5-6 times a week for 30+ minutes at a time. We've moved houses like 3 times in that span and it still works great. Even folds up for storage.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Something to consider if you're looking at commercial units as well, they do not fold and are not the easiest thing to disassemble. They'll also JUST fit through a 36" door so if you have an older house you may run into issues.

@mshawski not sure on what tools your husband has available but if he can take a voltage reading at the other socket on the outlet while you're running and then again at the the motor connections. If it's showing closer to 110v that's likely your issue, 115-125 is what you would like to see. The lower the voltage the higher the amps and heat starts building up quick.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well, this makes me nervous after having bought a Sole F63 back in November. :lol:
  • mshawski
    Options
    Well, this makes me nervous after having bought a Sole F63 back in November. :lol:

Lol. Sorry! I think it’s more our luck than a reflection on the treadmill hopefully?! If it makes you feel better we bought it becuase my SIL has had one for 10 years that still works perfectly.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    @mshawski It's always good to have more information, and I appreciate you sharing your travails! I can keep an eye out for the overheating problems you've experienced. I hope you have better luck going forward!
  • mshawski
    Options
    @mshawski It's always good to have more information, and I appreciate you sharing your travails! I can keep an eye out for the overheating problems you've experienced. I hope you have better luck going forward!

My hubs has an infrared thermometer that he frequently walks with (when treadmill is working) pointed at the motor monitoring the heat because he's so annoyed at it. If you reach that point, please know that's a red flag. LOL.