Open Diaries: Vegan/Plant-Based Diets

Options
If anyone has open food diaries that follow a plant-based/vegan diet please let me know.

I am still learning about the diet but still have a hard time getting the proper nutrition especially with working out daily.

Replies

• AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am always happy to add new friends, am vegan and my diary is open to friends. That said, I am not sure how much anybody could learn from my diary except about my habits (oatmeal nearly every breakfast, far too much coffee throughout the day).

What do you have problems with? Just finding ideas for food or hitting specific nutrition goals?
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I've been wfpb for over 10 years. If you have specific questions just shoot.
    Unfortunately I don't have a diary because I don't really weigh anything.
    If you keep a variety of food in your daily eating you don't have to worry about nutrients. Just remember that meat is very high caloric compared to vegetable. You can't replace meat and cheese with just a salad. You need to look at caloric intake (beans, starches and grains are your best friends calorie wise and nutrition wise).
  • KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am always happy to add new friends, am vegan and my diary is open to friends. That said, I am not sure how much anybody could learn from my diary except about my habits (oatmeal nearly every breakfast, far too much coffee throughout the day).

What do you have problems with? Just finding ideas for food or hitting specific nutrition goals?

It would be helpful to see an overall daily meal plan. Of course it will meet different nutritional needs for everyone, but it would give the big picture of a sustainable diet. I am well aware of plant-based meals but haven't been able to successfully put together a full day's worth of meals that meat my nutritional needs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    KingsGirl4 wrote: »

It would be helpful to see an overall daily meal plan. Of course it will meet different nutritional needs for everyone, but it would give the big picture of a sustainable diet. I am well aware of plant-based meals but haven't been able to successfully put together a full day's worth of meals that meat my nutritional needs.

Consider https://www.eatthismuch.com/. You give it a calorie level and an eating style (vegan is an option), and it spits out a daily plan, with recipes. Basic functions are free, but there are also premium features.

I wouldn't consider it, because I'm very structure averse**; also, I've been vegetarian (plant-heavy, but not vegan/WFPB) for almost 47 years, so I don't really need the tutorial effect of example meals anymore. However, I've run it to see a few days meal plans, and they look pretty sane to me.

If you're new to veganism/WFPB, this is a really good source of sound nutritional information: https://veganhealth.org/

There's a lot of nonsense spread in the less science-based wing of the vegan advocacy blogosphere, and that can be hard to sort out from good advice at first. In general, beware of any site that tells you that you don't need as much protein as an omnivore does, that there's no reason to pay attention to nutritional details because plants are so, so good, or that sort of thing. At best, it's wishful thinking.

** I did this to lose weight, and maintain the loss:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

. . . but it's very anti-structured, doesn't have meal suggestions, isn't veg-specific, etc., so it isn't at all what you're looking for.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I don't use the diary portion, but I post sometimes in the "What I eat in a day" thread on this section if you want to take a look. Been vegan for 7 years (veggie for a year prior eating mostly vegan that year), and workout as well. The way I eat has been sustainable for me.
    Heads up, though, I am not a whole foods vegan. I don't believe processed food is inherently bad, and I prefer to look at the nutrients and vitamins something gives me rather than just focus on whether its processed or not.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Oh, and: There are also some food threads over in the "Happy Herbivores" MFP group (for vegans/vegetarians), if you haven't checked that out. The group can be joined here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

A recent thread there about meals is this one:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10780049/photo-time#latest

. . . but there are others, too.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Vegan is not a way of eating, vegan is an ethical lifestyle. Saying you are vegan didn't really say anything about the way you eat, except that you avoid all animal derived products.
    I still don't understand what problems in getting nutrients. Did a doctor tell you that you are deficient or you are reading from internet what you should and shouldn't be getting?
    Here you can find from vegan doctors a guideline for beginner vegan athletes (on that site they also have a 21 day starting meal plan).
    https://www.pcrm.org/good-nutrition/nutrition-for-athletes
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The problem I always had with a vegan diet was that all the sites that promote it tout "if this weightlifter/bodybuilder/endurance athlete can get enough protein you can too". Except those people were all eating massive amounts of calories and weren't trying to lose weight. Trying to keep calories in a deficit and protein high was near impossible for me - so went back to eating wild caught fish and eggs.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    KingsGirl4 wrote: »
    If anyone has open food diaries that follow a plant-based/vegan diet please let me know.

I am still learning about the diet but still have a hard time getting the proper nutrition especially with working out daily.

You can view mine anytime 😊 I recently started to up calories to 1350 a day. I am very consistent. I was happily doing about 1200 - some more you to 1270 some less, above 1000. I lost TOO much and not trying to " gain" for the sake of the scale but get stronger, healthier and more vital 🙂
  • KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions, very helpful!
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to add me as a friend, my diary is viewable to friends. I've been vegan for almost 4 years and vegetarian for almost 20 years before that. I usually hit my macros/nutrients before exercise calories. I am also not vegan for my health and eat what I like, including mock meats and other processed foods. I track on a weekly basis so I don't stress if I'm under or over for a day as long as my weekly is on track.