Unsolicited Comments...grrrr

Options
I really wish people would think first before they say stuff. We all make 'mistakes' and say the wrong thing, but I just feel like I need to vent this.

I was standing in the drug store and a complete stranger walked by me and said "Well now, nobody could ever accuse you of being overweight could they??". I'm sure he thought this was a compliment...😐

If I had a sign over my head that said 'cancer' or whatever, this would be the last thing anyone in their right mind would never say to someone....

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What a strange word choice. "Accuse"? Like body size isn't something readily apparent to those with functioning eyes, and furthermore, being a particular size is some sort of crime? That guy can get *kitten*ed but good.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    How odd... 🤔 People are strange.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I have actually complimented a friend I hadn’t seen in a few years on her weight loss only to learn she had lost the will to eat after her husband’s death. It was embarrassing.

Given that body size is an emotionally-fraught issue, it’s probably best to avoid commenting on others unless we know them well enough to know their goals and desires.

I complimented a college friend once and found out the next day she had spent a semester in France and come back anorexic. Sigh.