Question regarding quantities

I'm really liking MFP for tracking calories, and I make most supper recipes from Simple Nourished Living. The one thing I'm having an issue with is food quantities. For example, I made ham and split pea soup. One cup is 271 calories. If I have the calories to use, is it bad to have 2 cups? Or should keep to the serving size in the recipe, then have different vegetables or some toast or something. The lady who runs SNL calls a serving of one cup "generous", "hearty" and "filling". It's not. I know I need to reduce quantities order to lose weight. I have a very warped relationship with food and I'm often very concerned about getting the most food for the least calories. Thoughts?

Jennifer
234 / 205 / 140

Replies

• Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    If it fits within your daily calorie allotment, have 2 cups.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    1 cup is not a lot of food. 273 is not a lot of calories either. If it were me, I would have two the cups of soup. Weight loss is about eating as much food as you can and still lose. No point in making yourself miserable. You need to make losing weight a sustainable process.
  • zaknjakesmum
    zaknjakesmum Posts: 73 Member

Ok, that's what I thought! Good!

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

This unless you would RATHER have some other food with it.

I agree that 1 cup of soup doesn't seem like a lot for a meal, and 271 is very low for a meal unless you eat a bunch of meals or it's your lowest of the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm really liking MFP for tracking calories, and I make most supper recipes from Simple Nourished Living. The one thing I'm having an issue with is food quantities. For example, I made ham and split pea soup. One cup is 271 calories. If I have the calories to use, is it bad to have 2 cups? Or should keep to the serving size in the recipe, then have different vegetables or some toast or something. The lady who runs SNL calls a serving of one cup "generous", "hearty" and "filling". It's not. I know I need to reduce quantities order to lose weight. I have a very warped relationship with food and I'm often very concerned about getting the most food for the least calories. Thoughts?

Jennifer
    234 / 205 / 140

A "serving size" is just to give a thing to give you something quantifiable to work with. It doesn't mean that's all you should have.

• zaknjakesmum
    zaknjakesmum Posts: 73 Member

1 cup is not a lot of food. 273 is not a lot of calories either. If it were me, I would have two the cups of soup. Weight loss is about eating as much food as you can and still lose. No point in making yourself miserable. You need to make losing weight a sustainable process.

I've never been able to maintain a weight loss, I've lost and gained the same 50 pounds about 7 or 8 times - very unhealthy, I know. I'm very determined to make this stick this time!

Jennifer
    234 / 205 / 140
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 561 Member
    Two cups, about 550 cals, would make a full meal, if that is the only item consumed. If you are eating a salad, fruit, or some other side with your meal, one cup or one and a half cups would be reasonable portion. As mentioned above, a one cup serving is just a convenient size for measuring and tracking.