Elliptical advice?

Hi!! So looking at getting a home elliptical. I need something that's good for bad knees and need a stride that's more like walking or jogging and less like stair climbing. This will be in a basement gym but MAY end up in the living room. Any advice would be great. Thanks 💐

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited January 2021
    You really need to try them out in person. Everyone’s stride and every elliptical’s stride is different and you need to find one that works for you.

Mine is a cheaper one, Gold’s Gym brand. I think it was $600, but that was 12 (?) years ago. It has more of a walking stride than a climbing.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Could you try some out in a store that sells fitness equipment? A place where you could return it if you find the elliptical makes your knees cranky. I find the elliptical is hard my knees.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I will recommend that you get one where the connection legs (where you stand) have some wheel supports and are not just free flowing. They tend to break a lot easier without the wheels. We have purchased a lot for our gym, and the ones that had the wheel tracks always seemed to last a lot longer, they get a lot of use.
    Definitely second that you try them out. Some are flatter than others, and can cause some hip pain if it doesnt suit your gait.
  • IceQueen2023
    IceQueen2023 Posts: 52 Member
    There are a few around I can try but most of the ones I'm looking at are online only. The local shops that specialize in fitness machines are stupid expensive (think 3000-4000$ plus) and no way I can try. The Dicks sporting goods near me has that Bowflex Max trainer thing and treadmills on display but no ellipticals.

I will say when I was at the Y I used Precor (?) rear wheel, not front. The front ones seemed harder on my knees. I will call around and see if there are other stores in the area with some displays. Maybe I'll get lucky.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Precor is the gold standard in ellipticals. Any good retailer will let you try their machine before you buy it. If they won’t let you test one, run out the door! Make sure you like the feel of the unit. Check that it has programs and workouts you will enjoy and keep you motivated. 10 years ago, a rear drive unit was a sign of quality, and front drive elliptical were for department stores and Dick’s sporting goods. You definitely get what you pay for; the nicer the piece of equipment, the more likely you are to use it. Horizon and others make nice units at very smart prices.
  • jtparks1
    jtparks1 Posts: 2 Member
    I love my Bowflex, easy on the knees and a great workout as well
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I have an elliptical made by Nordic Trak. Very solid. The pedals glide back and forth in a shallow oval. It’s not like stair climbing. Not sure if the model but it’s probably changed by now. It was $700 6-7 years ago and ordered online.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    They're stupidly expensive, but I got a Precor like the one that's always been my favorite at the gym. It's definitely a garage thing - they're huge. But it's made such a difference for me, as I reliably enjoy it and it's right there all the time.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    We have an elliptical and also a spin bike, both of which are easy on the knees. Like the others have said, you really need to try one out. Some have a more loopy stride and some might have a perfect stride but feel unsteady and wobbly.
    Have you considered a spin bike? We bought one online from Costco several years ago. I use it almost daily and it's held up well. It's very solid too. I bought several spin dvds to use at home so I can mix up my workouts. And best of all, Costco delivered the bike!! Just something to consider!
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    I have a Precor 576i that I bought used, some years back. It was expensive. However, not once have I had buyer's remorse. Pinched pennies for nearly a year to make it happen. In my opinion, they are well worth the extra money.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    We bought the Endurance E300 Elliptical Trainer from Body Solid - MSRP: $2,170.00
    I love it - to date it's been problem free
  • Precor’s are AMAZING- my dad bought his probably 20 years ago and it still is in great condition granted it was around $4,000 then for the newer models now you’re looking at probably $6,000 but it will last you. Just keep the tracks clean of dust and particles.
    I prefer the ones where the handles don’t move so I can incorporate free weights on the machine.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I would consider a spin bike as well.

I've done a lot of different machines over the years-- pretty much everything except rowing. In my opinion, the elliptical motion is quite different for the different manufacturers. Precor invented the concept, and their design (wheel in the back, rollers in the front) is (or was for a long time) a patented approach. So, if you liked it, you have to buy one from them. They also take up quite a lot of space.

If you want to save your knees, save money, and save space, nothing beats a stationary bike. There are really nice ones (e.g., Peloton), but you can get a totally useable one for less than a thousand bucks and maybe half that.
  • I would consider a spin bike as well.

I've done a lot of different machines over the years-- pretty much everything except rowing. In my opinion, the elliptical motion is quite different for the different manufacturers. Precor invented the concept, and their design (wheel in the back, rollers in the front) is (or was for a long time) a patented approach. So, if you liked it, you have to buy one from them. They also take up quite a lot of space.

If you want to save your knees, save money, and save space, nothing beats a stationary bike. There are really nice ones (e.g., Peloton), but you can get a totally useable one for less than a thousand bucks and maybe half that.

If you have a Costco I bought the echelon bike; basically the peloton knockoff for $1,000. I do enjoy it as I use to be a cycle instructor however if I had the money and space I would like the precor elliptical too. I tend to only use the bike in 3rd position and unless you have the motivation to really USE it, a bike can be easy to be lazy on.... then again machine can; you have to work the machine, it won’t work you.
  • sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
    I got a gym quality Precor on Craig's list. Was so worth it to get nice one
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    I have a Schwinn 470 which is wonderful.