Home Office Strength Building

So I decided to start working on muscle building this year (always been a cardio guy). As I'm working from home right now, I've been doing short exercises between meetings. Mostly bodyweight stuff like pushups, planks, squats, etc. I recently purchased a set of exercise bands to use as well (turns out real weights are expensive lol).

My question is this. Is this an effective way to build up some muscle or am I just wasting my time? Also, anyone have any recommendations to make this more effective or other exercises I should incorporate?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    So I decided to start working on muscle building this year (always been a cardio guy). As I'm working from home right now, I've been doing short exercises between meetings. Mostly bodyweight stuff like pushups, planks, squats, etc. I recently purchased a set of exercise bands to use as well (turns out real weights are expensive lol).

My question is this. Is this an effective way to build up some muscle or am I just wasting my time? Also, anyone have any recommendations to make this more effective or other exercises I should incorporate?
    Building muscle requires overload. That usually means resistance in the form of weights. Now you can do some body weight stuff to mimic some overload (say for instance one handed pushups or one legged squats) but as your weight goes DOWN, your resistance level is also decreasing. That's why as people lose weight and can do more pushups or pullups they may think they are getting stronger, but they're really not. They are just pulling/pushing against LESS RESISTANCE. But any kind of exercising is better than none at all and most people doing a decent program can get into shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• I_Want_A_Donut
    I_Want_A_Donut Posts: 101 Member
    Thanks for the input. That might explain my recent increase in push up quantity :smile: . Long term I'd like to invest in some weights, just looking to get started for now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    While bodyweight is less efficient than using weight, it's not a waste of time. During the three years I spent in yoga communities, I met plenty of well-muscled yogis who did not pump iron.

This channel has a bunch of short or shortish bodyweight routines:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=strength+side

I've been doing this one regularly for the past few weeks and am really happy with my progress. (I was laughably pathetic at first.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIdAPUA3GY4

I might start branching out into additional ones soon...
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I've got the peloton digital app, think I might check out some of those strength routines too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Are these the exercise band/tube sets that can be added together to get you to 100 lbs resistance, handles and loops for feet?
    Those could be enough for a lot of muscles on the body, as mentioned, to provide overload.

Combined with body weight (like to make pushups harder wrapped around back), you could provide a decent amount of "weight" for awhile, in rep ranges useful to building muscle and strength.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    Yes, they are stackable up to 150lbs.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I do 100 pushups 3X a week. After those weren't that challenging, I started mixing it up with feet up on the first stair, then the second, then the third. Sometimes, I'll put one hand on a foot stool and do them, basically assisted, with one arm. Pullups are great too. Your bands can help assist you. If you get creative, you can build nicely.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think my biggest question is still about "lifting" in 5 minute chunks. Is that effective or do I need to find more time to dedicate to these types of exercises?
  • IJP2019
    IJP2019 Posts: 34 Member
    Your muscles don’t know the difference if the resistance comes from bands, or weights....it’s that simple. Provide progressive resistance combined with the required nutrition, and muscles will grow.

I speak from experience. I haven’t touched weights in 2 years and have built muscle....actually my leg muscles are bigger than they have ever been! I have the x-large loop style bands and stack up 3 of them for squats. I stack 2 x-large loop bands for bench press. Go ahead and try that level of resistance and let me know what you think of bands.

Progressive means...
    Find a way to squeeze out more extra rep each week, or in the case of bands you can provide more tension depending on where you hold the band etc...there are many ways to add resistance with bands. Most importantly...be consistent to overload your muscles.

If you are looking to build significant muscle growth....well...it takes years, unless you are a genetic anomaly or taking something that will boost muscle growth.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think my biggest question is still about "lifting" in 5 minute chunks. Is that effective or do I need to find more time to dedicate to these types of exercises?

My only issue with 5 minute chunks is that you won't be warm and fully mobile beforehand so you won't be able to work as hard as you might otherwise. But it's certainly better than nothing and probably doesn't matter all that much if you are not trying to shift heavy weights.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »

My only issue with 5 minute chunks is that you won't be warm and fully mobile beforehand so you won't be able to work as hard as you might otherwise. But it's certainly better than nothing and probably doesn't matter all that much if you are not trying to shift heavy weights.

Agree with the above. I find legs the most challenging in five minute blocks. That's about what I do on the 3 days I do lifting. You might want to invest in something simple, like a Plyo Box with a weighted vest. I don't think you'll get hurt unless you go super hard with something like pullups to exhaustion. Start off easier and build up.

I do a lot of weighted goblet squats with dumbbells and heavy KB swings, but I just put together a Plyo box out in my garage for added leg work. Just a few things can really work the legs if creative. Using stairs for assisted pistol squats is great too. When you get stronger, jump squats and standing broad jumps are great too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    IJP2019 wrote: »
    Your muscles don’t know the difference if the resistance comes from bands, or weights....it’s that simple. Provide progressive resistance combined with the required nutrition, and muscles will grow.
    Actually it will react a little differently with "progressive resistance only" equipment (IE bands) Band provide progressive resistance on the concentric portion of a movement, but NOT the eccentric. Eccentric contraction is what forces the micro tears in the muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    While bodyweight is less efficient than using weight, it's not a waste of time. During the three years I spent in yoga communities, I met plenty of well-muscled yogis who did not pump iron.

This channel has a bunch of short or shortish bodyweight routines:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=strength+side

I've been doing this one regularly for the past few weeks and am really happy with my progress. (I was laughably pathetic at first.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIdAPUA3GY4

I might start branching out into additional ones soon...

While yoga is great and we may have different definitions of "well muscled" personality I've never known someone that just does yoga to be "well muscled".