Can't reach my protein intake

lolamangue
lolamangue Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Hi!

About me: I'm a 25 year old girl, 6 ft tall, weighs about 143,3 pounds, quite sedentary since I am a student and it's a pandemic, but I lift weights 4 x week and my goal is to build muscle.

I have come to understand that enough protein is crucial for building muscle. According to internet, I should be eating between 1,2 g - 2,2 g of protein per KG (preferably at LEAST 1,6 g protein/kg). That means I should eat between 79,2 g - 145,2 g of protein everyday (preferably at least 105,6 g protein). My calorie goal per day lands between 1900 - 2200 kcal (this is the range I have calculated through different sources, yes they all give you different numbers), so it really depends on my appetite that day. I have tried strictly 1900 everyday and it left me fatigued and strictly 2200 everyday and it left me nauseous, bloated and uncomfortable. Lately I just listen to my body instead, and still land somewhere in that range.

Now to my problem. I try to track my macros, to make sure I get at least 105 g of protein per day, and I have 1900-2200 kcals per day to work with, that shouldn't be too hard, right? Well.. It is actually infuriating. I normally land between 60-80 g of protein per day, which I think is too low considering what the internet says, my activity level, body measurements and goals. If I want to reach 105 g, that means I lack between 50 g - 25 g per day which is almost 1-2 meals.

What do I eat? Well, firstly I am pescetarian, meaning I eat NO meat except fish (but I rarely eat fish since it's expensive and I am a student on a low budget). For breakfast and lunch, I usually vary between these 3 meals: oats with chias and peanut butter, eggs with bread, or greek yoghurt with berries and granola. All these three options are always suggested online when I google what I should eat so I should be doing everything right, but yet, I don't manage to reach my god damn goals. I also try to drink one protein shake everyday, but I can't go for more than one/day because I hate them and they give me nausea. I tried to eat one protein bar per day, and that actually helped me increase my protein intake quite a lot, but it ended up being too expensive so I couldn't go on with it. For dinner, it's always different. But I always try to make something balanced and healthy, and incorporate protein sources such as beans, lentils, fish, or other vegetarian meat substitutes that are quite proteinrich.

Now, I don't know what else I can do unless starting to eat chicken and beef but I don't feel comfortable eating meat and as far as I know there are vegan and plant-based bodybuilders out there so it SHOULDN'T be meat = gainz, and veggie = no gainz. Now why do I, no matter how hard i try, always struggle to reach beyond 80 g/day? Yes sure I could smash even more yoghurt, eggs, peanut butter, etc. But that would most likely make me go beyond my daily caloric intake by far and I don't know if I am comfortable with that either. It doesn't make sense that I should be eating 2500 kcals per day considering how sedentary I am when I am not at the gym, and considering that some websites suggest that I should eat around 1900 kcal per day even considering my activity level and my goals.

Please, is there anyone out there that can help me?Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    Have you checked this thread?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also#latest

One way I've added protein to my diet is adding protein powder to my (already high protein) skyr yoghurt for breakfast.
  • lolamangue
    Thank you, I will check it out in more detail!

I tried to add protein powder to my yoghurt and my oats but I absolutely hate the flavour and texture, and it would leave me bloated and extremely uncomfortable. I would prefer to stick to just one scoop per day and that's it, and get the rest from my foods.

But the tables look interesting. I will check them out.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    ^^ This infographic is wonderful 😮
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Great info, I used to struggle with the same and now I am able to hit 140 without any issues. I do think maybe take a look at the brand protein house are using, some of the cheaper ones do cause stomach problems but there are so many that don’t. I do add 1/2 scoop to a cup of plain Greek yogurt and add it to the freezer for 20, so it’s sort of an ice cream. Also, adding 1/2 cup of cottage cheese to marinara sauce and top it on a protein lavash sheet with Mozzerella is like a and pizza filled with protein. I used Joseph’s lavash bread they sell them at Walmart... I think the whole sheet is 18g plus the added protein from the cottage cheese and Mozzerella. Do you eat eggs? Egg whites are amazing and can get added to anything.... I add 125g of egg whites to my oatmeal and I’ll never go back, it fluffs them up and they’re so delicious. I could give a million more examples but I don’t want to hog up your whole feed! I swear stick with it and it’ll get easier and easier!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I'm also pescatarian and in maintenance. I eat about 1750 calories and get around 90 g protein. I eat fish once or twice a week, mostly canned, which is not expensive.

Other inexpensive protein sources that I use are tofu, tempeh, TVP, seitan, edamame (either dry roasted as a snack or frozen), Greek yogurt, and protein bars that are on sale (generally clif builder, luna protein, or larabar protein because I can't eat stevia). I also put half a scoop of Garden of Life unflavored and unsweetened protein powder in my morning smoothie. I don't like the texture with more than half a scoop. I like higher protein pastas (some brands are more reasonably priced) and the higher protein pancake mixes.

I do buy some commercial faux meats for convenience, but nearly always on sale or from a discount grocer like Aldi.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'll just add to @bold_rabbit s comment about canned meat being inexpensive, you can normally pick up quite reasonably priced frozen fish fillets, shellfish as well or check out the reduced items that are on their last day.

@MaltedTea I can't take the credit for this one, I borrowed it from another post for the infographic thread, aaaages ago, I don't know where it originally came from though.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    My boyfriend is pescatarian and I cook for him all the time. It can be pricey but you also have tuna. Do you eat eggs? Also, you might have to decrease your carbs a little to make room for protein in your calorie allowance. If I am going to eat oats, I make sure they are protein oats. Add some protein powder to them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    It's possible: I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, eating 1850 plus exercise, get minimum 100g protein daily (even on non-exercise days), and usually exceed that. I never eat protein powder, bars, nor commercial faux meat (nothing wrong with those IMO, just don't find them tasty/satisfying personally).

I do eat a good bit of dairy, but I think I could do it without dairy (I eat eggs rarely already).

I have process advice: Review your food diary often. Notice foods that are relatively costly in calorie terms, don't have much protein. Gradually reduce or eliminate those, replacing them with other foods you enjoy that have more protein. The thread linked above is a great source for ideas. If you don't want to eat meat, scroll past the meat things at the top of the linked spreadsheet to find plant sources further down. Rinse and repeat, gradually get more protein.

There are foods in all categories that have more protein - grains, veggies, even fruits. Some of these are not high quality (in terms of essential amino acids), but eating a high variety and a high total helps mitigate that.

If you want to see what I eat myself, send me a friend request: Diary's open to friends. I'm very non-participatory in the MFP friend-i-verse to (more of a forum gal), but will answer PMs or questions on my wall about foods.
  • lolamangue
    @jennacole12 Thank you so much for your answer! It was very helpful, and positive :) I will try egg whites in oatmeal, but I just have one question - do you think it's possible to have them in overnight oats, or does it have to be cooked?
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    lolamangue wrote: »
    @jennacole12 Thank you so much for your answer! It was very helpful, and positive :) I will try egg whites in oatmeal, but I just have one question - do you think it's possible to have them in overnight oats, or does it have to be cooked?

Great question bc I love overnight oats! Right now I do 40g oats, 80g cashew milk, 3 oz of Greek yogurt flavored with 5g of protein usually vanilla and then whatever fruit , usually peaches, so I end up getting protein through the yogurt and protein. I bet though you could sub out the almond milk with egg whites and then flavor however you normally do.... def worth a shot! Just make sure to get the carton of egg whites so they’re safe to eat raw.
  • lolamangue
    @AnnPT77
    Thanks for your answer! It makes me optimistic to hear that it is indeed possible to hit a good amount of protein without eating on a surplus or meat. I can't believe it though, that you manage to eat so much protein without any supplements, so I am really curious to check out your diary. Thanks for sharing it!
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Also worth checking the diary entries you’re adding to ensure they all have a count for carbs, fat, protein. Not just the total overall but the individual food items. Some may have 0 0 0. This happened to me a lot in the beginning and I only noticed it when I started to focus on my macro split after losing a few pounds
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Hi!

About me: I'm a 25 year old girl, 6 ft tall, weighs about 143,3 pounds, quite sedentary since I am a student and it's a pandemic, but I lift weights 4 x week and my goal is to build muscle.

I have come to understand that enough protein is crucial for building muscle. According to internet, I should be eating between 1,2 g - 2,2 g of protein per KG (preferably at LEAST 1,6 g protein/kg). That means I should eat between 79,2 g - 145,2 g of protein everyday (preferably at least 105,6 g protein). My calorie goal per day lands between 1900 - 2200 kcal (this is the range I have calculated through different sources, yes they all give you different numbers), so it really depends on my appetite that day. I have tried strictly 1900 everyday and it left me fatigued and strictly 2200 everyday and it left me nauseous, bloated and uncomfortable. Lately I just listen to my body instead, and still land somewhere in that range.

Aside from how it makes you feel, what does eating 1900 to 2200 kcal do to your weight? That seems lowish for someone who is 6 feet, even if not particularly active (and while people are prone to overestimate exercise burns, there also seem to be a lot of people who view themselves as sedentary when they're not, although as you say it's a pandemic -- I'm hard pressed to get much more than 2000 to 3000 steps in when I spend all my time in my house).

Anyway, your weight, over a decent period of time (say a month or two) is the best way of knowing whether you're eating enough, too much, or the right amount for your goals, and, in your case, whether you could be eating a little more, which would make it easier to get your 105+ g of protein.

You say your goal is to build muscle. Are you wanting to do that as a bulk (i.e., add the weight of your new muscle to your current weight, plus some minimal amount of fat, which is pretty much unavoidable), or do you want to do it as a recomp, maintaining your current weight and slowly losing fat and slowly adding muscle? You're already toward the low end of a healthy BMI for your height, so it would be challenging -- as well as potentially unhealthy -- to try to gain muscle while losing weight.
  • lolamangue
    edited February 2021
    @lynn_glenmont Hi, thank you for your answer. I think I am eating that amount partly because I have some history with food related fears and anxiety, and I am therefore more on the restrictive side. I am trying to overcome it by eating more intuitively and listen to my hunger cues, but it's pretty hard when your brain is so wired towards one type of mindset. When I have used online calorie and macronutrient calculators, many of them give me the suggestion to eat around 1900 to maintain (myfitnesspal says 1890), but I know that they're not accurate as they give an average estimate and don't take in individual factors in their calculations. Since I am not at all used to feeling full after a meal, but rather feel "quite satisfied and light" after many years of restricting, I struggle when I force myself to eat around 2200 kcal. The feeling of fullness makes me extremely uncomfortable and anxious since I am not used to it. It doesn't feel right and I don't associate it with being healthy.

Anyway, if anything reading comments like these make me happy because they give me more perspective and help me to become more intuitive and less restrictive with my diet, which is my ultimate goal really. So I appreciate that you're raising this issue.

I would prefer to maintain rather than bulk, since bulking like previously mentioned makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and sloppy from feeling full, but if bulking is the better option for my overall health and fitness goals then I could go for that too. But in a slow pace, preferably.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    @lynn_glenmont Hi, thank you for your answer. I think I am eating that amount partly because I have some history with food related fears and anxiety, and I am therefore more on the restrictive side. I am trying to overcome it by eating more intuitively and listen to my hunger cues, but it's pretty hard when your brain is so wired towards one type of mindset. When I have used online calorie and macronutrient calculators, many of them give me the suggestion to eat around 1900 to maintain (myfitnesspal says 1890), but I know that they're not accurate as they give an average estimate and don't take in individual factors in their calculations. Since I am not at all used to feeling full after a meal, but rather feel "quite satisfied and light" after many years of restricting, I struggle when I force myself to eat around 2200 kcal. The feeling of fullness makes me extremely uncomfortable and anxious since I am not used to it. It doesn't feel right and I don't associate it with being healthy.

Anyway, if anything reading comments like these make me happy because they give me more perspective and help me to become more intuitive and less restrictive with my diet, which is my ultimate goal really. So I appreciate that you're raising this issue.

I would prefer to maintain rather than bulk, since bulking like previously mentioned makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and sloppy from feeling full, but if bulking is the better option for my overall health and fitness goals then I could go for that too. But in a slow pace, preferably.

I think maintaining would be fine, if that's what's happening at 1900 to 2200. Just realize that building muscle may be a slow process when maintaining, as it takes energy as well as protein to build muscle. Best of luck.