Women 200lb+, Let's Keep On Fighting This February!!!

Options

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Angief05 wrote: »
    Ugg just filled out my nutrition for the day and my calories are on point but my fats are high and protein lower than I like. I am eating healthy all day. Breakfast is greek yogurt with berries and chia seeds, lunch i have leftover stuffed green pepper from last night, dinner is going to be a ham and veggie omelets, I will have my protein shake in the afternoon too. Help what am I doing wrong?

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong tbh, that all sounds delicious and nutritious. Fat is flavor, it isn't the enemy, and if your goal is mainly weight loss your macros don't matter as much beyond what you need for satiety. It is OK for food to taste good even if you are trying to lose weight.

If you are looking for ways to reduce your fat intake, though...What's the fat content like in that Greek yogurt, are you using full-fat or low-fat? I prefer the full-fat stuff myself, but if you want to reduce your intake of that particular macronutrient you might switch to low-fat or fat-free. You can probably also use less cooking fat (butter, olive oil, whatever) and still get a tasty result for things like stuffed peppers and omelets.
  • Angief05
    Angief05 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Angief05 wrote: »
    Ugg just filled out my nutrition for the day and my calories are on point but my fats are high and protein lower than I like. I am eating healthy all day. Breakfast is greek yogurt with berries and chia seeds, lunch i have leftover stuffed green pepper from last night, dinner is going to be a ham and veggie omelets, I will have my protein shake in the afternoon too. Help what am I doing wrong?

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong tbh, that all sounds delicious and nutritious. Fat is flavor, it isn't the enemy, and if your goal is mainly weight loss your macros don't matter as much beyond what you need for satiety. It is OK for food to taste good even if you are trying to lose weight.

If you are looking for ways to reduce your fat intake, though...What's the fat content like in that Greek yogurt, are you using full-fat or low-fat? I prefer the full-fat stuff myself, but if you want to reduce your intake of that particular macronutrient you might switch to low-fat or fat-free. You can probably also use less cooking fat (butter, olive oil, whatever) and still get a tasty result for things like stuffed peppers and omelets.

@goal06082021
    Thank you for your input. I am eating low fat greek yogurt. I always seem to stress over macros to be honest. I am trying to do 50%p/30%c/20%f someday I seem to get off track even when I feel like I am eating healthy. I am trying to get 1300 calories a day right now too,as I have about 90 lbs to lose. I am getting my step goals in everyday and adding some light exercises right now until get bit more weight off to make it easier on my left knee.
  • JJKM73
    JJKM73 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone!
    I have been a member of MFP for quite a while. A few years ago, I lost about 50 pounds and then due to a variety of reasons (and excuses!) I lost my way and gained it back. So I started again on January 4 and have been staying on track ever since. I have been tracking my food using MFP and decided that while that is great, I need to form a community as well. So I found you guys! I am looking forward to having a community (besides my husband and best friend!!) in this journey and offering help and support to others.

CW Feb 1 - 345.1
    GW Feb 28 - 335
    UGW 175lbs
  • goal06082021
    Options
    I've been feeling pretty blah, but Monday morning I woke up with energy and focus and so I Did Things all day, rarely sitting down. Tuesday was more of the same, though I went to bed at nine terribly exhausted. Feel good today, although I'm aware that I'm sore in a couple spots (I put in the insert for the patio door that lets the cats go in and out to the three season porch while keeping the cold air out and the warm air in, and I feel it in my chest and upper arm muscles.)

I have ADHD, and "just doing it" when it ought to be done, or taking that extra moment to prevent future work, has always been hard for me. But it's been easy so far this week. Rinsing/washing dishes as I use them, and not letting them pile up between meals. Grabbing the small plate to rest the stirring spoon on instead of setting it on the counter. Things like remembering to fill the kettle for morning and lay out my clothes are easier. And I went out to the pantry to reorganize the top shelf of the freezer... wound up doing most of the entire freezer, and then came in and did the freezer on top of the fridge in the kitchen. I probably would have gone on to empty and wash out the fridge, but it's time to do lunch, so that's cooking now. It's easy to be compliant with my meds schedule.

I don't know whether this is related to a mental health quirk (I also have autism, and adore organizing the house and such anyway) I don't know whether it's weight loss related; I know that about 25 pounds down I got an energy burst, but I haven't lost any serious weight since September '20 and my size is still pretty much the same in my clothes, so I doubt it's that. It's nice, because this was what I was like before I got fibromyalgia and could barely get anything done, but because I've had fibro for 20 years, I'm skeptical of it. Part of me is sure that I'll eat lunch and it will all come crashing down and I'll have to go to bed and barely be able to make dinner. If it does, I'll cope, I'm used to that.

But if it doesn't.....I want to run to the store for something and come back and do precooking for Girlfriend's midnight suppers. (Her mental illness really messes with her sleep schedule, and on days where she sleeps all day and is up all night, I like to have some meals made up in the freezer that she likes that she can just reheat without accidentally eating an ingredient for tomorrow that are sensible portions and satisfying to help her lose weight.) I want to get the fridge cleaned out, as it's been a bit and the day before I restock is a good day for that. And I want to get some pairs of pants hemmed, if my shoulder doesn't complain too badly.

So this is a new development, and it's both wonderful and frightening at the same time.

Sometimes you just wake up and oops your brain accidentally booted in NT mode. I call it the Chore Shark - I have both the energy and the inclination to fold laundry/sweep the floors/clean the oven/whatever right now, so I'm doing it, but I know the SECOND my butt hits the couch I'm done. I can almost hear the Super Mario star music when I get like this, I feel so FUNCTIONAL and it's wild like there are people who can just Do This??? Sounds fake but okay.
  • Angief05
    Angief05 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    speyerj wrote: »
    @Angief05 - You might think about changing up your macros to a ratio that feels more natural to you. The ratios that MFP defaults to are not magical or even necessarily recommended. My own secret sauce that has worked for me is 30% protein, 35% fat, 35% carbs. When trying to hit my macros, I think more about what foods can I eat to hit my protein goal without going overboard on carbs and I let the fat fall where it may. The reason I go high on protein is because that is what I found helps keep hunger at bay.

So here are tips for cramming in more protein in your day today: The Greek yogurt with Chia seeds is a great breakfast. One way to sneak in extra protein is a scoop of unflavored Vital Proteins. It dissolves completely in yogurt - you won't know it's there and can bring your meal up to over 30 g, which will help tie you over to lunch.

The stuffed green pepper lunch isn't going to be high in protein, so adding the protein shake is a great choice to round things out.

For dinner, maybe add a couple extra egg whites to the omelet or more ham to hit your protein goal.

High protein snacks that help me round out macros: Jerky, Greek Yogurt, Deli Turkey or ham, rotisserie chicken breast, mozzarella cheese sticks.

@speyerj
    Thank you for your advice. I actually am not going on mfp macros, I changed them to what I have them at, as I was told few years back that they are a good go to for weightloss.
    What is Vital Proteins?
    Good idea to add extra protein to my dinner tonight, I will do that.
    Great advice for snacks. I struggle with snacks lol well healthy ones anyway.
    Again thank you.
    Angie
  • goal06082021
    Options
    @MuttiNM Awesome job hitting those exercise goals! I'm glad your parents seem to be doing better, I hope the pulmonologist consult goes well.

@tc122573 Welcome! The good news is that "being in a calorie deficit" is guaranteed to result in weight loss. As in, to do otherwise would break the laws of physics. If your body needs more energy to function than you provide to it with food, it MUST dip into its emergency stores (i.e., your excess body fat). It can't not do that. Metabolism--that is, converting energy from one form to another--is the most basic definition of what it is to be alive.

The great benefit of MFP, and the CICO approach more broadly, is that rather than following arbitrary rules about what or when to eat or not eat, you're actually taking control of this process and intentionally creating that deficit on purpose. There's nothing magical about any given food. It's all just calories in, calories out. If your MFP budget is 1700 calories per day and you choose to eat nothing but 1700 calories' worth of cake and ice cream one day, you'll still have a deficit at the end of that day. You'd probably feel terrible, because that's a lot of cake and ice cream, and there's not a lot of protein there to keep you satiated for very long. But like, you could do it. That's where macros come in; protein and fat will most likely keep you feeling fuller longer than carbs will, but every body is different and you'll figure out what works for your body as you keep logging your food and seeing your macro breakdown.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @Angief05 - Got it. I misread your ratios - thought you were at 50% carbs, but its actually 50% protein! Vital Proteins is a brand of collagen protein powder. It's unflavored and dissolves completely in water - hot or cold so it's a good mix in to things like smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, etc.
  • Spotteddingo
    Spotteddingo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @emmclean
    Congratulations! That is great news!
  • goal06082021
    Options
    @emmclean YES! So happy for you!
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @emmclean Great news! Congratulations!!! Thanks for letting us know.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    @emmclean That's awesome!!! I knew you could do it.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    @goal06082021 Feel better. Good job on revising your workout plan for the week and not listing "give up" as an option!! Your tenacity is impressive.
  • Laughter_Girl
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @MuttiNM Your comment about your mom and talking ticked me. Reminds me of my mom and me. Glad she's coming along and wishing the same for your dad. Also, your weight loss is impressive!!

@tc122573 Welcome! Sounds like you're on fire. You're going to do great. I did WW some years ago for awhile offandon, but I never came close to reaching my goal. MFP worked the first time I used it, and I reached my goal. Unfortunately, I thought I could maintain without tracking and gained most of the 80lbs back. That's okay because I learned a major lesson; I will always have to track what I'm eating no matter how much I weigh.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @Laughter_Girl Thanks for the well wishes for my dad. It seems to have hit him harder than my mom but I'm just thankful that they both didn't have it even worse, especially considering their ages. And, yes, I can always tell how my mom is feeling by the length of our conversations! :)