Am I eating enough?

Options
cauleyschaff
cauleyschaff Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. I feel like I have read hours and hours of discussion boards and followed links into another galaxy to get information. I have lost 60lbs over the last few years and am really struggling with the last 15. I wear a myzone monitor to the gym and I know my BMR is 1386. I have my calories on MFP at 1200. I work out 7 days a week and at least 2-a-days 4 days a week. I cant seem to lose weight and lately when I have it has been muscle. I lift weights everyday at the gym and worked hard for my muscles so that is the last thing I want to lose. Do I need to eat more? My protein goals in MFP are ridiculous there is no way I will meet them. I try to get at least 100 grams of protein a day. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I am 5 ft 5 and weigh 141. I am 45 and female. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You’re not eating back any of your exercise calories?

Do you use a food scale?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Sounds like you are underfeeding.

With so few pounds to lose and wanting to retain muscle adjust your deficit to 0.5 lbs a week and eat back your exercise calories.

Use a food scale for everything, and I mean everything.

MFP’s lifting cals are pretty good so log your time, including between rep and set rests, and eat those cals.

You may benefit from taking a break and eating at maintenance for a week or two then re-adjusting your cals.

Don’t panic if you put on a couple of lbs when you are on the break. It is added food being digested and water, not fat.

Cheers, h.

Oops forgot to say. Try to aim for 0.8- 1g protein per lbs of lean body weight or ~ 0.8g of goal weight. h.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    I'm your height, 5'5", also female (just much older/somewhat lighter). Unless you're unusually muscular, I don't think 100g is an unreasonable protein intake. What do you have your protein goal set at, that 100g isn't meeting it?

Are you eating back exercise on top of the 1200? Have you taken a diet break at (estimated) maintenance calories along the way?

It's conceivable to me that you might benefit from at least a period at higher calories, although - speaking generically - eating more calories isn't usually a route to increasing fat loss. (It can be a route to moderating some adaptive effects after a too-long time at severely reduced calories. 1200 does sound like a severe reduction at your current size, especially if not eating exercise calories. It would be severe for me, even at around 16 pounds lighter.)

Like Haitch said, going to estimated maintenance calories will cause a scale jump. If you can cope with that, great. Otherwise, maybe increase by 100-200 calories this week, do it again next week, then keep repeating until you are at estimated maintenance calories. Stay there for at least a couple of weeks to a month. There would still be a scale gain (water weight and average digestive contents in transit, primarily), but not such a big jump all at once.

• cauleyschaff
    cauleyschaff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!! MFP wants me to eat over 300 grams of protein for my settings. I make sure I get at least 100 grams of protein daily. I weigh everything and don't put anything in my mouth that I don't log. Although it can never be 100% accurate. I have MFP set at 1,200 calories and with my workouts (Avg daily burn is 775) I have about 400 - 500 calories left per day. Honestly I will probably struggle with seeing the scale go up if I start to add more calories. Maybe I back off my 2nd daily workout?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    300g of protein seems WAY too much. How did you come up with that figure? Did MFP give it to you?

Like stated above, you want to aim for 08g-1.0g of protein per lean body mass weight (most people do 0.8g per total body weight). That would give you a goal of 112g of protein per day. Anything too much above that isn't really going to be helpful to be honest.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Hey, you have lost a lot of weight! And, although it's a lot of hard work, you're keeping it off! No time to get discouraged, time to celebrate! You are a totally new you! What can you do now that you couldn't do then? Can you run a mile or two (or a 5k)? Are you sure you need to lose another 15lbs? You can have your metrics measured (BF%, etc) and think about it.

There is some effect of "diet induced thermogenesis," which basically means your body will conspire to use fewer calories in response to caloric restriction ("dieting"). If you find that you get cold and/or sleepy more easily than before, then you've experienced it. It isn't a huge effect, but it does happen.

I have found that it can be counteracted by doing more cardio. Resistance training is great for your body overall, but cardio perks up your metabolism for hours afterward (after-burn).

Also, after such a successful weight loss journey, the very next step is to learn how to maintain. It is every bit as hard as losing, as you have just found out. Aerobic exercise can help, but you mostly have to keep logging and weighing yourself. But, have more fun, wear new clothes, go on walks, take up tennis, generally enjoy yourself at your new level of fitness!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!! MFP wants me to eat over 300 grams of protein for my settings. I make sure I get at least 100 grams of protein daily. I weigh everything and don't put anything in my mouth that I don't log. Although it can never be 100% accurate. I have MFP set at 1,200 calories and with my workouts (Avg daily burn is 775) I have about 400 - 500 calories left per day. Honestly I will probably struggle with seeing the scale go up if I start to add more calories. Maybe I back off my 2nd daily workout?

Did you reset your macro percents at some point? 300g of protein is 1200 calories worth of just protein. The MFP default protein percentage is not going to recommend 1200g of protein to someone with a 1386 BMR unless they have a massive, massive activity/exercise level; and since its default recommendations are based on percent, it should not be asking you to eat 100% protein by default, if you're set at 1200. Something literally doesn't add up.

100g of protein is going to be adequate for a 5'5" woman at age 45, even when strength training. (It should be close enough to 1g/pound of lean body mass.)

Yes, you should eat more.

With your exercise schedule, and an estimated BMR at 1386, there is no way - short of a *truly major* medical problem - that you will gain fat if you eat more than 1200 calories. If seeing the scale go up is stressful for you, add calories gradually . . . even though any scale increase from increasing faster would not be fat gain, but water weight/digestive contents, so truly not worth worrying about**.

I'm your height. I've been your weight. (Now, I'm 20 pounds lighter, so should burn fewer calories in BMR from that alone.) I'm 20 years older than you are. I don't work out 7 days a week, rarely do 2-a-days, sometimes not even 1-a-days in Winter. I admit, I'm mysteriously a good li'l ol' calorie burner for some reason, but I've been losing weight ultra slowly on 1850 calories plus all exercise calories, so actually eating around 2100 +/- on exercise days.

If you can get yourself past scale stress, I'm quite certain you can lose weight on more than 1200 calories (especially if you're not now eating back exercise!). Keep in mind that stress itself can cause water retention, and mess with scale readings - I'm talking the physical stress of extreme calorie deficit with heavy exercise plus other physical or psychological stress in your life. (You may even be creating significant health risks for yourself at the moment, if you're seeing muscle loss.****)

Set your MFP profile with your accurate daily-life activity level (before exercise), at most one pound a week weight loss, and work your way up to that intake, while logging and eating back a reasonable estimate of your exercise calories on top of that.

If you try a higher level for at least one to two months, and don't feel better and see weight start to move downward, see your doctor for comprehensive blood tests, and ideally ask for a referral to a registered dietitian besides.

Please eat more. 100g protein is enough.

** If you haven't read this article, please do:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

**** Please read this, too:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    If you are really wanting to maintain muscle, I definitely think your calorie goal of 1200/day is too low. To lose weight while maintaining muscle, you'll typically want to aim for slower weight loss. Also, you may already know this, but strength training (especially heavy strength training) can cause you to retain water for up to a day afterwards, so that may also be why you're not seeing the scale move. I see that someone posted the article about scale/weight fluctuations which is very useful.

If someone hasn't posted it already, you may also want to look into "diet breaks." I actually posted an article about that on this board a few weeks ago.

Just FYI, I'm 44, and managed to lose those lose 8-9 pounds this spring/summer that I had wanted to lose but never seemed to be able to...almost 8 years after my 35-pound loss! I set out to lose it at a rate of a half-pound/week, and there were so many ups and downs, but that's about what it amounted to. I also did this without being super precise ( i don't weigh my foods, although I know a lot of people have success with that), but often had "room to spare." I had no end date in mind in order for me to reach that goal, which took that pressure off of me. I also strength train regularly, and my goal is to build more muscle while losing some fat, so I didn't want to lose any muscle either and in fact continue to gain some.

All in all, I think learning how to be patient with the scale and the whole process for those last few pounds while focusing on increasing your strength may be helpful.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I agree with others your calories are too low which is common esp when dieting for so long. You likely need a reverse to bring your calories back up to a normal maintenance intake and then maintains on those calories for about 6 months before trying to cut again. Your body has adapted to the deficit and you need to get it back on track or losing anymore will be impossible. I am in the bulk phase of dieting due to the same issues and it’s amazing that eating 1800 calories a day I am not gaining or losing same as when I was at 1200 calories a day. I am 4’11 and 128 lbs so you should be taking in more than me.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I'm 46, 5'5" and now 129-130. I went from 150ish to 130ish Jun-Nov of last year, mostly eating 1500-1600. (This was to lose what I had regained after a few years of maintenance.) Desk job, not nearly enough strength training efforts but regular cardio. If I don't make the effort to walk daily, I only burn about 1500-1550 per day. (That includes bmr, regular daily activity.) Walking puts me at 1750-1850.

For me it really is about accurate, honest logging. Food scale at work and home. I make most of my own food, which lessens the amount of estimation I must do. Keep in mind that even 'single serve' items like chicken breasts, eggs, slices of bread, bananas: have a variety of weights and should be weighed also.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Ps-if you open your food log, some of the regulars here can help spot if you have any logging errors.

Also - how long have you been 'stuck' at 141?