Is Crystal Light considered water? Why or why not? TIA

Jennifer
234 / 204.6/ 140

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    God, they still make that stuff?

I'm not inclined to count things that aren't plain water toward my water intake (not that I'm really tracking that right now), but if the alternative for you would be to drink something like soda or coffee with sugar in it, then sure, count it as water.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It’s water with flavoring.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I count it, I add 1/2 a packet to a liter of water and drink 4 of those a day.
  • zaknjakesmum
    zaknjakesmum Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I know that for WW, it's considered water, but it's been 5 years or so since I was on WW. I tend to think it's an alternative to plain water, but I just wanted to know what others think... :)
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I know that for WW, it's considered water, but it's been 5 years or so since I was on WW. I tend to think it's an alternative to plain water, but I just wanted to know what others think... :)

I think the only thing to note is CL does have calories so track that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    crystal light is a flavoring. not water. if it has calories, log it. if it doesn't, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I use something similar some days and log the flavouring, it’s 15 calories. If I go over by 15 calories but am drinking more water I think it’s a win. Honestly I judge my hydration by the colour of my urine around midday, since water comes in many things. Still aim to drink 1.5-2L of water a day though. (Usually 1L has flavour added to it).
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    You can turn off the water tracking unless you have a particular reason to need it. If you don't have trouble staying hydrated and you don't have a specific health condition (kidney disease perhaps) that requires liquid tracking, it just adds extra unnecessary effort IMO.

Yes, CL would count as water. And it does have some calories (5 per serving, my spouse's canister says). We usually mix it with more water than the package says.
  • zaknjakesmum
    Options
    Yes, my CL has 3 calories a cup (iced tea flavour). I honestly thought it had no calories! I agree it should be counted then. I think I will do half my water with CL, and the other half with plain water, or tea. I don't have a medical condition requiring me to track my water, but I definitely lose more weight when I remember to drink all my water!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    @zaknjakesmum

I'm curious. Does your CL add red#40? The US version does and I can't drink it because I am allergic. I'm guessing from "mum" and "flavour" that you are in a different country.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Unless you are taking it straight to the dome from the packet, then yeah...if it's in water, it's water.

This summer I wasn't tracking and I was guzzling crystal light. Now that I am tightening up my logging I am adding it because it is not calorie free.
  • zaknjakesmum
    Options
    @zaknjakesmum

I'm curious. Does your CL add red#40? The US version does and I can't drink it because I am allergic. I'm guessing from "mum" and "flavour" that you are in a different country.

Haha! Yes, I'm in Canada! I didn't even add "eh?" at the end of my sentences, eh? :D
    My box doesn't list red #40, it just says "colour".