I'm an alcoholic

Hey everyone I am happy to start this journey with you all.
I have been drinking since I was 14.
Started of just a sip here sip their, than every weekend turned into almost every day. It has ruined so many things in my life.
I am at a point wear i can drink a 24 in 1 night to myself. I am ready to stop that.
I am almost 30 now & no wear in life like I wanted to be, its time. My goal is to start of only drinking 2 days out of the week.
Thanks for listing.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Good first step. Alcoholism is a serious problem, please get help from a therapist or your doctor. Hugs

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10823237/less-alcohol-february-2021-one-day-at-a-time#latest
  • fergusonlaceyloo
    fergusonlaceyloo Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2021
    Oops sorry i ment to post this in the other group thx for the advice through. Idk how to delete it off this either..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hey everyone I am happy to start this journey with you all.
    I have been drinking since I was 14.
    Started of just a sip here sip their, than every weekend turned into almost every day. It has ruined so many things in my life.
    I am at a point wear i can drink a 24 in 1 night to myself. I am ready to stop that.
    I am almost 30 now & no wear in life like I wanted to be, its time. My goal is to start of only drinking 2 days out of the week.
    Thanks for listing.

I struggle as well. I highly recommend the book "This Naked Mind" by Annie Grace, even if you're not ready to give up the drink entirely...I go back and forth, and it's very hard. You may also want to look into AA...I know some people for which AA has been very helpful...a very good friend of mine has been sober for 10 years now and he gives a lot of credit to AA. I've personally had mixed experiences and haven't really found a meeting/group that I click with yet.
  • fergusonlaceyloo
    fergusonlaceyloo Posts: 11 Member
    Hey thank you I will check the book out and i here ya the struggle is real & yea maybe if ya find the right group it'd be good. I only went once before never went back but maybe I'll try aging.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Hey thank you I will check the book out and i here ya the struggle is real & yea maybe if ya find the right group it'd be good. I only went once before never went back but maybe I'll try aging.

I was headed that path in my youth as well. I was drunk at least 3 days a week. It started because I wanted to look cool with friends and then it became "just because".
    Don't just be happy to go down to a couple of days a week or just a couple of drinks a day. You get a flat tire? A customer rude? A fight with a close friend? Anything will be a "good reason" to turn it into a "just today is going to be fine if I overdo".
    Like many others said, look for professional help. It's not a shame to be able to admit you need help.
  • Bigstuff1980
    Bigstuff1980 Posts: 34 Member
    I struggled for years with alcohol so I totally understand. Got into power drinking in college. Add me and we can chat about it.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    There is a fully sober thread around here somewhere but there's also a drink less thread in the Motivation section. We try for AF days but celebrate simply drinking less.

If you are regularly drinking a case, maybe try to drink 23. However you will probably benefit from medical supervision to ensure that you don't have seizures or experience the DTs. There are meds you can be prescribed with supervision to remain safe.

Good job recognizing you need to make changes
  • emaSharmama
    emaSharmama Posts: 18 Member
    I just want to offer my words of encouragement.
    I began drinking in my teens and quickly lost control. My last drunk was days before my 21st birthday. Now I'm looking at 60.
    I got a lot of help and encouragement in AA. I also had help in church. I went into treatment at 20 and my last drink was with friends I made in treatment. If you decide to go, just be sure it's a reputable place. My experience was with a street program.
    A counselor or doctor could help too. For me, I highly recommend AA. Find a good group of people that you feel comfortable sharing with.
    One thing I hear often is One Day at a Time. Someone shared with me that a secret in the formula is deciding that you will drink tomorrow, just not for today.
    Best wishes and blessings, Elizabeth
  • catgirl2289
    catgirl2289 Posts: 24 Member
    Hey I'm a recovering alcoholic been sober over 5 years. Aa helped me a lot in the beginning. I've lost friends at young ages to alcoholism. You can do this. It took me a while to rebuild my life but it is possibl3.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Groups are not the only form of support, information, and guidance. Consider 1:1 with a counselor with experience working with people with addictions. Best wishes.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    I need to do something different and take control.