Men over 50

I want to challenge my peer group to throw away the excuse that your age is why you have weight gain and two waiste sizes higher. Let’s prove ourselves wrong guys and get that young man waist line back. Sure, it’s going to require a lot more work than the 25 year old but if anybody can it is you, it is our age group and now is our time!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    my husband is 50 and has a 32" waist.

and he eats whatever he wants.

I truly don't know why I put up with him LOLOLOL

in all seriousness, he is a sheet metal mechanic and does incredibly hard physical stuff all day and we have a farm and he does the majority of that too (I do animal care but not hard labor). He burns all his calories.

but no, simply the excuse of 'getting older' is not a reason for weight gain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    Soon to be 60, but I put a lot of 20's olds to shame when it comes to physique and fitness. Here to offer support and advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • doubleplay_643
    doubleplay_643 Posts: 152 Member
    I am 53. I just started to lift weights about 2 months ago instead of spending my entire gym session on the cardio machines. I have seen my body change more than it ever has. About a month ago I started to lift seriously and have some sort of routine instead of just going from machine to machine. I would love to have some MFP friends who are in the same age range that I am in who lift, so I can bounce ideas off and get advice so that I do this thing right. Please add me if you are interested or message me if you will allow me to seek questions.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    It can be Done!

48 years old, 49 in a month so not officially 50...

3qbtt4t5eq6s.jpg
  • hct3d
    hct3d Posts: 1 Member
    I just turned 53 this month. I know age isn't the real problem, as long as I don't jump right into the routine I did in my 30's and get hurt. I have learned my lesson on that. Staying consistent with work outs and eating is what I need to drop weight/fat. Going from 190 to 165-170 is my goal.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Don't mind me. I'm just here, settling in to my Happy Place... ☁️🤩☁️
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    @hct3d Yep that's the recipe. My transformation took 4 years with gradual progression in intensity and effort.

Staying in a weekly caloric deficit is the key. Cardio burns excess calories. Build muscle to burn fat when you are at rest.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    It can be Done!

48 years old, 49 in a month so not officially 50...

Man if that is impressing. You have done an awesome job, congratulations.
  • doubleplay_643
    doubleplay_643 Posts: 152 Member
    Question about supplements. I have heard a few different things both good and bad regarding taking supplements at 53. I always drink a protein mix after a workout but I seem to not be recuperating like I used to between workouts. I am looking for input for whatever works or does not work for you 50 something exercise fanatics.
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Hello everyone. Turn 55 this year. Having been overweight most of my life, age is no excuse. Granted, we all know it gets harder as you go along. My excuse has always been not enough time to work out. Retired last month so time can no longer be used as an excuse. Right now I'm trying to set a workout routine to build on.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Could I suggest, slower instead of harder? I found I had to be less drastic with my food portions (a slight deficit so my body didn't go into self protection mode) and more patient with building strength and endurance.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Question about supplements. I have heard a few different things both good and bad regarding taking supplements at 53. I always drink a protein mix after a workout but I seem to not be recuperating like I used to between workouts. I am looking for input for whatever works or does not work for you 50 something exercise fanatics.

What kind of supplements? If you mean vitamins then yes I take those. If you mean testosterone and such nah I don't bother. A lot can be done with regular exercise, good nutrition and portion sizes.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    52 here... Happy to help if I can.