using plain greek yogurt in tuna

Options
just wondering if anyone has ever tried this....sort of as a replacement for mayo
if so, is it a good one?
if not, do you know of another?
i do add lemon juice to tuna, but i need something with a little creamy effect
i cannot do plain tuna out of can
thanks!

Replies

• bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I use french onion dip in place of mayo. It's 50-60 calories for two tablespoons, depending on what brand I use. A LOT lower than mayo :) I have not tried greek yogurt.
  • sailor789
    sailor789 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    that sounds yummy, very clever option! probably too much sodium for me though, i have to watch sodium super closely...i should have mentioned that.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    IMO. Greek yogurt doesn't work with tuna or egg salad. I don't use much mayo in my tuna mix, so for me, it's not a switch worth making.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like adding plenty of malt vinegar and black pepper to tuna, that way I can get away with less mayo. You could also try the light mayo version as you won't notice the difference as much with the tuna and vinegar - Hellmans 35 cal per tbsp
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I have done this. I'm not a huge fan of mayo, and I like greek yogurt, and I thought it tasted fine, but definitely different. If you actually like mayo, and aren't a big fan of greek yogurt, I suspect you would not be happy with the result.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo, I actually prefer it. I add some mustard, plenty of salt and pepper, maybe hit it with a little sriracha and minced garlic, and throw in some kind of crunchy veggie like finely-diced onion, celery, sweet/hot pepper, or relish if I have it kicking around.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    In the days when I still ate Tuna I’d use Skyr, which is pretty much the same as Greek Yoghurt, for all intents and purposes, as a mayonnaise replacement, and agree with the above that adding just a touch of Dijon mustard makes all the difference.

I happily use 0% fat cottage cheese with eggs - can’t tell the difference, but then I’ve been avoiding mayonnaise for so long I’ve likely forgotten how it used to taste anyway!

If I were to decide to eat tuna I’d try the cottage cheese route too, I think.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    try it and see if you like it .

i put so little may in my tuna that for me, it doesn't make a significant difference. id rather have what I like for the calories.

i use a yogurt/mayo mix for a chicken salad that I make on occasion for my lunches. about 75% yogurt and 25% mayo. I've tried it with all yogurt and don't like it that way. sometimes playing around with things like that can help you cut the calories but still give a taste you enjoy.

the mayo i use is a light olive oil one (dukes)
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have used greek yogurt in place of mayo and/or sour cream in many things, as long as it is seasoned well, you usually cant tell.
  • wonderchu
    wonderchu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've used light sour cream with tuna and I prefer it to mayo.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I mean....I might just be 'used' to the flavor of it with mayo but I can't imagine using anything other than mayo. I do tend to use a LOT less mayo now than I would have when I was younger.

You could try cutting the amount of mayo with some yogurt...and see how you like it. I don't really believe in eating something unless you like it - like don't force yourself to eat something just because it's 'healthier'....eat what you want and log the cals.

I even still put mayo in any kind of dip I make --- even if the bulk of it I put greek yogurt --- I still put in a bit of mayo to get the fattiness that I know I"m craving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt, but it's too sour for tuna salad IMO. I use it as an alternative to things I would normally use sour cream for because we always have it on hand and rarely have sour cream on hand.

I eat tuna salad a couple times per week and use 1 Tbsp of avocado oil mayo and 1 Tsp of dijon mustard to a whole can of tuna. For myself, that's pretty low calorie and the avocado oil mayo is chalk full of those good monounsaturated fats. 1 Tbsp is only 100 calories.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    If you make your own mayo, you can reduce calories by over whipping air into it (typically if you use a food processor or hand blender). This makes the mayo far to stiff so that it needs to be loosened with water.
  • lisamestiza2021
    lisamestiza2021 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i attempted this once and nobody ate it - not even me. i prefer to use mashed avocado instead - sooooo tasty with lime, cumin, salt, pepper and hot sauce