Running and body changes

Options
I’d like to start running and have been reading around on how it can affect your body (the positives and negatives). I’m slightly worried I’ll end up with no curves (I’m not blessed in that department to begin with) and was wondering how to counter this?

Replies

• AXCols11
    AXCols11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight training! Try to incorporate some lifting exercises into your routine ☺️
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    What specifically have you read/heard that it will make your body look like?

I've seen long-distance runners of all shapes and sizes....so I don't think there's a certain way a 'runner' looks --- unless they are a marathon runner (who will obviously be typically very slim/low body fat --- but that isn't always the case).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm part of a pretty big running group (suspended now for COVID) and you can see all types of bodies, including curvy.

While it's true that elite marathon runners typically don't have many curves, most of us aren't keeping our weight as low as professional marathon runners (who literally go faster the lighter they are, up to a certain point where it will begin to negatively impact their performance). They're low body fat because it's their job, not just because they're running.

• MissAtomicBomb238
    MissAtomicBomb238 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    I’d like to start running and have been reading around on how it can affect your body (the positives and negatives). I’m slightly worried I’ll end up with no curves (I’m not blessed in that department to begin with) and was wondering how to counter this?

Unless you are burning more than you are ingesting you won’t lose weight- cico. That said, some curves are naturally made of fat and will shrink.

There is no running body type. The only “runners body type” is a body that is running.

The only negative outcome is the addiction to races.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Hourglass shaped curvy runner here, been running trail and pavement for 7+ years and the curves haven’t budged an inch. Running has only had positive body changes for me like improved posture (which helps in the chest area), nicely defined legs, muscular calves, lifted booty and a stronger core... it’s only made my life better! Best of luck to you if you decide to get into running, hope you enjoy it :)
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Running will work out your lower part of the body.
    I used to look very different when I was a teenager and mixed up running with resistance training or just few years ago that a gave up resistance training.
    If you want to shape muscles in your back, chest, shoulder and buttocks you will need to include resistance training to your daily routines.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My profile picture is from a few years ago when I was running 30 - 50 miles per week training for a Marathon but also strength training 2 to 3 times per week. It's not for everyone but I certainly wouldn't be worried about your body shape due to running.

The great thing about running, for me anyway, is the ability to burn a lot of calories per hour while enjoying the outdoors.

Having said that, if I could only do one type of training I'd pick full body strength training over running. For most of us, however, we don't have to pick just one -- I'm currently alternating running 1 day, strength training the next and I love it. I'm back up to 15 miles per week -- I have no desire to ever get back to my previously mileage because I know longer train for races. I think working your way up to 3 runs per week of around 3 miles is an excellent goal -- even less is fine, just depends on your schedule and personal goals.

My only caution to running is that it's easy to start off wrong and get injured:
    1. Get fitted for running shoes at a running store if you can afford it and have access -- expect to spend $80 - $100+
    2. Start VERY slowly. Jog for a little bit and then walk, repeat ... over time increase the duration of the jog and increase the total time of the workout ... eventually you'll be able to run a full mile without a break. Increase this over a long period of time slowly and you will mitigate risk of injury. What slow means and what duration to use is based on your weight and fitness level. All I can say is: it is not possible to start too slow and it's easy to start too fast.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Do you have any idea what kind of training, diet, and lifestyle you would need to be the image you have in your head?

Run. it's good for you. OR find another activity you enjoy. You won't look like the professionals and models because, well, you're not, and not doing what would need to be done to obtain that physique.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Y’know, even if running does bring your body toward appearance changes you don’t personally prefer, it’s not like you’re going to wake up one morning, and poof, you suddenly look some undesired way.

Even highly desired body changes that people pursue single-mindedly, energetically, and consistently with the most effective possible routine . . . are very gradual.

If you start running, you’ll have plenty of time to keep monitoring as your body changes (*if* it changes), and change your routine if you don’t like the direction it’s heading. A person can even undo most changes, by adopting a suitable and different routine.

It’ll be fine. It’s all slow, slow, slow.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Your shape is your shape unless you enhance it more. I've seen lots of members in the gym that lost weight and felt that they compromised their "curvyness" to be a healthier weight. But that shape can still be enhanced with the correct training technique.
    Question I ask is: are you considering running to lose more bodyfat? Because it's NOT the only way to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png