Keep on going over sugar intake

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else has the issue of going over the sugar intake recommended by MFP. Anyone think it is too low?

I find it hard to stay at the level suggested. I don't think it is my sweet tooth. Maybe it is convenience foods I have when I am on the go. I am even having more of a hard time now with working full-time and started a course part-time.

I am looking for any input. Constructive critism works as well.

I know the sugar intake is the cause of my flucuation of weight over the past couple of weeks.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Pre-made packaged foods (convenience) foods are always going to kill sugar and sodium... limit them as much as is feasible for what else is happening in your life.
    If my sugar is high but it's coming from fruit I don't care, I'd rather have the fruit and other micro-nutrient benefits along with the sugars than the extracted, refined sugars!
  • jaramae
    jaramae Posts: 100 Member
    I have the same problem too. The majority of my sugars come from natural sources such as fruit. I also try to look for foods that are low on the glycemic index to ensure I'm eating less high sugars food. I'm relatively at risk for diabetes which is why I watch it pretty closely. Limit processed/prepackaged food to avoid unnecessary and unhealthy refined sugars.

Exercise also helps to increase your total to try and keep you in a more suitable range.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I ALWAYS go over because of fruit!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Pre-made packaged foods (convenience) foods are always going to kill sugar and sodium... limit them as much as is feasible for what else is happening in your life.
    If my sugar is high but it's coming from fruit I don't care, I'd rather have the fruit and other micro-nutrient benefits along with the sugars than the extracted, refined sugars!

I agree. Sugar from natural sources like fruit and milk don't need to be worried about, it's not the same as refined sugar. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible!
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    I have the same problem too! Most of the time 1 granola bar or a serving of yogurt and a piece or 2 of fruit and I'm over. Not the best solution but I just changed settings so I don't stress over it too much. I'm not going to stop eating fruit to please MFP. I switch it back every now and then to see how I'm doing but I don't have a huge sweet tooth and I'm still very aware of what I'm consuming.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    I used to eat a lot of fruit and was proud of it; it was so much better than the candy bars I ate before MFP. However, my trainer hounded me relentlessly for 3 weeks about cutting back on the fruit sugar, too, because I had plateaued. So, I cut back on fruit and, voila, I lost 2 pounds in 2 days. Just something to think about - sugar that is unused, no matter where it comes from, goes to fat (or so I've been told).
  • robyn525
    robyn525 Posts: 24 Member
    Well, all the comments are helping a lot.

I was over by 20 grams today for sugar. 12 of these grams were milk and about 9 for vegetables with dip. Not sure how much the little dip would have when it is classified as light.

Right now fruit is in season, plus I have been baking pies. I think I will need to start looking into using splenda instead of sugar to lower the sugar intake. I will also need to add my own receipe to MFP as I am not sure what the other receipes have in them. Yes, I know I should not be having fruit pies, but it is hard when fruit are in season and when I am baking them. At least I can freeze the fruit and bake pies when I am done my final course for the accounting designation.

I will reduce the refined sugars as much as possible as a start and eat less bread. I have started this as my sugar intake was worse when I first started MFP.

Feel free with any other ideas. Also, any other pet peeves when it comes to sugar intake. :)

Oh, I will also have a lot of vegetables to eat once I am able to harvest the rest with my boyfriend. Fresh carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, beets, and peas. The beans did not do as well this year and grew peas for the first time. I just felt like sharing that. :)
  • jaramae
    jaramae Posts: 100 Member
    I used to eat a lot of fruit and was proud of it; it was so much better than the candy bars I ate before MFP. However, my trainer hounded me relentlessly for 3 weeks about cutting back on the fruit sugar, too, because I had plateaued. So, I cut back on fruit and, voila, I lost 2 pounds in 2 days. Just something to think about - sugar that is unused, no matter where it comes from, goes to fat (or so I've been told).

I do agree that its important to not go severely over what's stated. You should still aim to stay within the allocated range continuous excess sugars turn into fat. Perhaps consider choosing lower sugar fruits or not indulging in higher sugar fruits on an every day basis will help you find a happy medium
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    I used splenda in an apple pie last year at Thanksgiving and I couldn't tell the difference....and neither could anyone else hehehe