So hungry today!!! Ahhh

Options
Does anyone else have those days where you just want to eat everything in sight? I have been really committed to staying within my calorie allowance since the end of December but these last 2 days I just feel starving! I don't know if it's the cold weather, possibly that period is due or that I'm just sick of restricting myself. I haven't gone crazy today (had a cereal bar, small packet of crisps and a yogurt on top of meals when I don't usually snack!) but I have allowed myself to go over my calories. In comparison to old eating habits this isn't the end of the world but I don't want to start going down a slippery slope. I've lost count of the number of times that I have started really well and then lost motivation. I have got to stick at it. Any tips on how to stave off the cravings? I know I should snack on celery or something but it's just not going to cut it!! 😂

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    If you are "hungry", I suggest looking for foods that make you feel full. Chips and cereal bars lack satiety and volume.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Yes! I have days like that. I find what helps satisfy me is to eat some things that are high protein and high fiber. I will sometimes have bran flakes if I don't have anything prepared.
    One dish that I like to prep ahead and freeze in portions is a high fiber, high protein chili. I use the usual chili ingredients such as peppers, onions, chili powder, etc, then I add in some ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast, and dried beans that have been boiled for 2 mins then left to stand for an hour before adding. The beans I used most often are kidney beans, black beans, and garbanzo beans.
    My recipe is a little different each time, with my last one a small portion (168g) I get 22g protein and 7g fiber for only 181 calories. It definitely kills the cravings for me.
  • Pinappleupsidedowncake
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    If you are "hungry", I suggest looking for foods that make you feel full. Chips and cereal bars lack satiety and volume.

The logical part of my brain knows that and my meals today have been sensible and should have kept me full. Most days I do not have additional snacks but today I have just felt the need to eat. I realise it probably all psychological.
  • Pinappleupsidedowncake
    Options
    Yes! I have days like that. I find what helps satisfy me is to eat some things that are high protein and high fiber. I will sometimes have bran flakes if I don't have anything prepared.
    One dish that I like to prep ahead and freeze in portions is a high fiber, high protein chili. I use the usual chili ingredients such as peppers, onions, chili powder, etc, then I add in some ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast, and dried beans that have been boiled for 2 mins then left to stand for an hour before adding. The beans I used most often are kidney beans, black beans, and garbanzo beans.
    My recipe is a little different each time, with my last one a small portion (168g) I get 22g protein and 7g fiber for only 181 calories. It definitely kills the cravings for me.

Thank you
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it be like that.

So you went over-budget today. It happens. Quit while you're ahead, and resolve to do better tomorrow.
  • Pinappleupsidedowncake
    Options
    Sometimes it be like that.

So you went over-budget today. It happens. Quit while you're ahead, and resolve to do better tomorrow.

Thank you 😊 the good thing is that I haven't gone completely off the rails. I had a few extra calories but in the past I would have taken it to the extreme! Part of writing this thread was about being mindful and making myself acknowledge how I'm feeling/behaving! Tomorrow is a new day
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have days too when I occasionally eat more than usual, for various reasons. If i have learned one thing from this app, it's that there is quite a bit of wiggle room between say losing 1 lb a week and actually "gaining" weight. When i have days like the one you are having, i temporarily change my Goal to maintaining my current weight. I find that to be very encouraging and I can usually stick to that when I'm struggling. It is a very good reality check for me. When I am eating more, it mentally FEELS like im undoing the progress I've made more than I actually am when you consider the facts of the numbers. Usually all I'm doing is simply not losing that day. I can live with that. Usually when I have one of those maintenance days the scale does react the next morning, but it's not true weight gain. It will adjust back down in a day or two.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My body is craving protein on those days. So to keep from going over my calorie allotment but fill myself up I drink Protein02 Coconut water 16 oz bottles 60 calories no sugar and I drink Premier protein shakes usually Cinnamon roll or chocolate the chocolate kills wo birds in one because it soothes my chocolate craving at the same time. Hope this helps.
  • Pinappleupsidedowncake
    Options
    I have days too when I occasionally eat more than usual, for various reasons. If i have learned one thing from this app, it's that there is quite a bit of wiggle room between say losing 1 lb a week and actually "gaining" weight. When i have days like the one you are having, i temporarily change my Goal to maintaining my current weight. I find that to be very encouraging and I can usually stick to that when I'm struggling. It is a very good reality check for me. When I am eating more, it mentally FEELS like im undoing the progress I've made more than I actually am when you consider the facts of the numbers. Usually all I'm doing is simply not losing that day. I can live with that. Usually when I have one of those maintenance days the scale does react the next morning, but it's not true weight gain. It will adjust back down in a day or two.

That's really helpful, thank you 🙂
  • Pinappleupsidedowncake
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    My body is craving protein on those days. So to keep from going over my calorie allotment but fill myself up I drink Protein02 Coconut water 16 oz bottles 60 calories no sugar and I drink Premier protein shakes usually Cinnamon roll or chocolate the chocolate kills wo birds in one because it soothes my chocolate craving at the same time. Hope this helps.

Yes, that's great. Thank you so much for your reply x
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Oh that's a monthly experience I deal with. For me it was a couple of days ago. Had my meals, but ended up eating almost a whole box of Chicken in a Bisket crackers, a pint of ice cream and 2 servings of tortilla chips. 2lbs gain the next day, but in a couple of days I was back down after getting back to my normal eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Oh that's a monthly experience I deal with. For me it was a couple of days ago. Had my meals, but ended up eating almost a whole box of Chicken in a Bisket crackers, a pint of ice cream and 2 servings of tortilla chips. 2lbs gain the next day, but in a couple of days I was back down after getting back to my normal eating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When I feel like I might do this, I just have another full meal. Usually fewer calories. More tummy satisfying. (I binge for energy, not for chocolate, or sweet, or salty, but to feel better)
  • Pinappleupsidedowncake
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Glad it's not just me!! 😂