Very frustrated

Options
I have been following my calories strictly for a month and just started exercising really good for a week. Well I have lost inches and gained 3 pounds. I have increased my water intake but I am just confused. I know it is good that I am losing inches but hate not seeing the scale going down. Everybody saids that it is probably my muscles retaining water but when will I start seeing the scale going down. I would really appreciate any help.

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium levels? you might want to open up your diary for people to check out too.
  • mccgivens
    Options
    Relax...muscle is heavy. I weigh once a month. The scale can be your enemy. Hang in there!
  • mccgivens
    Options
    That too!!
  • Akinkopf
    Akinkopf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am working on my sodium intake. After the gain I did go back through my diary and discovered my intake was high and have been lowering that.
  • tcarnes72
    Options
    It's normal to gain some weight at first when you start doing strength training. Just remember that muscle always burns more calories than fat and eventually the weight will come off. another thing is that you may want to eat some of your workout calories. I don't know if your doing that or not. If your body gets into starvation mode it will not turn lose of the fat as easily. Just a few beginner things to look at.
  • Akinkopf
    Akinkopf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all.
  • deedeezplace
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so you are doing just great. Exercise makes muscle, and congrats that you are following the plan. That takes perseverence and strength. YAHOO for you. Love and blessings
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hard to offer good advice without know what your exercise is exactly and seeing your diary. Good luck.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    ok everyone is telling you you might have gained muscle. No, it is not possible to put on any significant amount of muscle in one week. So please don't fall for that. Also, when you're obese, it is fine not to eat your exercise calories back. You have extra fuel to spare, you're not going to go into starvation mode. Maybe try to open your diary so we can take a look. Often we aren't eating quite as well as we think we are.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    While I agree that you cannot gain significant muscle in a week, I have DEFINITELY found that you can go into starvation mode even when obese. You don't have to eat back ALL of your exercise calories (you can probably afford around an 800-calorie deficit), but even those of us with PROFOUND amounts of extra can go into starvation mode -- some of us remain heavy for exactly that reason, in fact. You can starve to death while being grossly obese.

So, I'd look into sodium, and, if you are eating a fairly high-protein diet, I would raise my FIBER. SOME of that may be an excess of your food being retained in your intestines.