Exercise: When to quit?

Options
I haven't been that physically active in a while, and recently I've started exercising 3-4 times a week. But I've noticed that when I'm without a work-out partner...I think I'm overdoing it.

Tonight I pushed through an exercise DVD, start to finish, with no breaks. At one point, I was breathing heavy, my heart was racing and everything ached. I kept going and felt better...until I finished. Even though I'm still not hurting, I can barely move! I had to crawl up the stairs, and walking is tricky right now because my knees are so wobbly. And I know I'm going to be in agony when I wake up!

I've always heard if you don't push yourself, you might not do enough of a work-out to get any real benefit. So where is the line when you're exercising? When should you push on, and at what point should you step back and call it a night? Is how I'm feeling right now okay, or have I overdone it? I'd love some advice please.

Replies

• Luvmysixpack
    Options
    I would invest in a heart rate monitor and then you will now when to quit or slow down if you are working too hard or to little.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    exercise is a hard one because it's all about how you feel. to get a benefit and increase fitness you need to increase your heart rate to roughly 60-80 % of your maximum hear rate. now you could either work this out and measure it as you exercise and also measure your recovery rate (way too much fussing about for me) or you could give yourself a time limit (e.g 45-60 minutes depending on exercise) and say that's how much your going to do so you can work to your best in that time.

i often go to exercise classes at my gym where for example, spinning is 45 minutes and body sculpt is 60 so then i know i have to pace myself to last that long and if i still feel i have energy then i go all out.

don't get me wrong though - aching is often the sign of a great work out! but it sounds as if you may have overdone it a little... ;p

hope this helps and remember - it's all up to you because only you know how you feel :)
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's a balance between listening to your body and not allowing the lazy part of your mind to take over.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    bump