Intermittent Fasting

Options
I am 51 and going through premenopause .. I also have lupus and fibromyalgia ... Any way my question with Intermittent Fasting I been trying it the past couple days and wonder if it is normal to wake up with a headache ... No negative comments please thank you ....

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you normally drink coffee? Did you stop or cut back? If it’s not normal for you, I would put in a call to your doctor, just for peace of mind.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    In general, a couple of days is not long enough to determine if your headache is a result of changing your eating habits. Unless it's severe, I'd wait and see if it continues.

All weight loss comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn. Some people find that intermittent fasting helps them to control their calorie intake. If it works for you, then that's great.

Just make sure you are eating enough calories...you should still be meeting your calorie goal, even with IF.

Also, did you happen to cut out or cut back on caffeine? Because that could cause a headache for sure.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    In addition to the questions above, do you normally get headaches if you haven't eaten for awhile? (Not sure what your eating window is here.). With your other health conditions included though, it's hard to say whether it could be specifically the fasting or not, aside from cutting caffeine.
    I agree with giving a call to your doctor, especially if it persists.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Usually a couple of days with a different pattern of eating shouldn't create any difference.
    Buy you got 2 serious conditions and I wouldn't underestimate it. My wife has a friend with lupus and her health at times changes daily for no apparent reasons. So it might be that a big change in your diet might have triggered something. I would talk to your doctor asap and see if the doctor knows of any side effects.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Which version of IF?

Assuming you mean 16:8 version I'd wonder if your caffeine intake suddenly dropped or if you got a little dehydrated from a change in eating and drinking patterns.
  • JJEWEL51
    JJEWEL51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    gigius72 wrote: »
    Usually a couple of days with a different pattern of eating shouldn't create any difference.
    Buy you got 2 serious conditions and I wouldn't underestimate it. My wife has a friend with lupus and her health at times changes daily for no apparent reasons. So it might be that a big change in your diet might have triggered something. I would talk to your doctor asap and see if the doctor knows of any side effects.

Ok Thank you
  • JJEWEL51
    JJEWEL51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In addition to the questions above, do you normally get headaches if you haven't eaten for awhile? (Not sure what your eating window is here.). With your other health conditions included though, it's hard to say whether it could be specifically the fasting or not, aside from cutting caffeine.
    I agree with giving a call to your doctor, especially if it persists.
    Sometimes I get really bad headaches if I dont eat in between ... Just thought I would try this ... But I am wondering if I need to ease myself into it ...
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've done intermittent fasting off and on for 18 months. Every time I start up again I get headaches for the first week or 2. Keep up the water intake and it should go away as your body adjusts.