Toppings for sweet potatoes?

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Any certain foods you like to top them with? I love sweet potatoes and don't buy them that often. But I'd like to make a low-cal meal, topping it with something to turn it into a complete meal.
Thanks everybody!

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Chili or any bean soup (black bean, lentil vegetable, etc). Sometimes I add avocado on top.

Hummus or plain Greek yogurt are awesome, but I'm not sure that would feel like a complete meal (although I've eaten it for lunch many times).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @bold_rabbit is onto something. I have topped them with spaghetti sauce. My wife is GF and does that all the time. But, it turns out that I like them best with just a little butter.
  • Luke_rabbit
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Also dal. If you are looking for easy, some of the shelf stable pouches are pretty good, especially Trader Joe's. (via my spouse)

Added sauteed greens to any of the ones I've listed, either on the potato or on the side is good, too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    One of my favorite combos is black beans with sweet potato, eaten in various ways. If stuffing the potato, I'd maybe consider black beans + broccoli + Greek yogurt if going for one of the more calorie/nutrition-efficient choices (noting that I'm vegetarian, so many of my protein sources come with carb calories). I love black beans & sweet potatoes together in soft corn tacos, with either caramelized onions or chopped raw/sweet ones, a mild cheese (cotija? I like salt), maybe some roasted sweet corn and/or avocado if I have the calories.

Sweet potatoes + peanut butter powder (or almond butter powder) is a good combo to blend as soup. (I'd probably include some white beans, maybe some silken tofu; and I'd want to add some little kick ideally, like chipotle powder or somesuch. Obviously onions in there, probably caramelized/browned. A smoky flavor profile would also be good, in which case I'd skip the nut powder, maybe use chipotle powder or smoked paprika, possibly blend in some sunflower or pumpkin seeds for some healthy fat, sprinkle a few on top.)

As a travel lunch or snack option, I really love slices of roasted sweet potato with chevre in between.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Chili or any bean soup (black bean, lentil vegetable, etc).

Exactly this. Delicious. I usually like it to be spicy too (even if not chili), but that depends on liking for spicy, of course.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I like to make twice baked sweet potatoes with this: BIRDS EYE C and W Premium Quality Ultimate Southwest Blend

Bake the potatoes, cut in half, scoop out the flesh, mix with the above (thawed), re-fill the skins and bake until golden brown and slightly crispy on top. Yum! Butter and/or hot sauce are good with it, too.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    If we’re just talking topping a baked Sweet Potato, I’m another one for black beans or kidney beans, usually cooked with red onion and peppers - probably some Mexican style seasoning. Using the baked Sweet Potato in lieu of a taco shell, basically, I suppose.

Also sometimes with wilted spinach (lots and lots of black pepper!) and a little feta or goats cheese and raw red onion. Or a poached egg on top of the spinach, maybe a little grating of Edam too.

Cottage Cheese mixed with chopped cherry tomatoes, spring onions, cucumber, fresh coriander and Tabasco or even a tablespoon of jarred salsa stirred through.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Thanks all! I have a few of those options so will make a mix of it and see. :)
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    You could go the sweet route with cinnamon, butter, raisins or nuts (or both). Or savory with salsa, sour cream, beans, and cheese or nutritional yeast. I do both and it's quite good.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Now I have to buy more sweet potatoes; dinner was good and filling! I cooked up some spinach and onions, added chicken and avocado, piled it all on top and it tasted very good. :)
    Will definitely be trying more of all your wonderful ideas! Thanks :)
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I like to make bake a sheet pan of cubed sweet potato, zucchini, bell peppers and black beans (canned). After that's baked for whatever length of eternity it takes for sweet potato to be tender, I go ahead and fry a couple eggs for on top of it. I leave the yolk a bit runny and it's delicious on the sweet potato.
  • AlannaWulf194
    AlannaWulf194 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sloppy joes and instead of using buns use the sweet potato!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like a nice soft baked sweet potato topped with a sunny side up egg...or with curry powder and either plain yogurt or cottage cheese. They are also good with ginger, but that's just to flavor the potato, doesn't make it a meal. I've topped them with Amy's black bean chili for a quick easy (filling)meal.
  • doodletoodles
    doodletoodles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cut your already baked sweet potato in half and top it with some shredded chicken tossed with a little bbq sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Bake again until the cheese is melted. You can even throw green onions on top or whatever fresh herbs you like. It’s so tasty and so filling.

Recipe here (I use different proportions of bbq sauce and cheese so the calories aren’t too high):

https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/recipe/bbq-chicken-stuffed-baked-sweet-potatoes/
  • sailor789
    sailor789 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    6oshjod3kum5.png

this is really good:
    SPICY CHICKEN SWEET POTATO BOATS

INGREDIENTS:
    -100g chicken breast meat (skinless)
    -1 medium-large sweet potato
    -1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms (or portobello)
    -1/4 to 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
    -2 Tablespoons chopped spring onion (optional)
    -2 Tablespoons pure tomato paste
    -1/2 to 1 teaspoon cooking oil
    -Fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
    -1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    -Pinch chili powder (optional)
    -Sea salt and black pepper
    -Broccoli florets (or zucchini)
    (SERVES ONE, Simply double for more servings)

THE METHOD:
    -Preheat oven to 180 C/ 360 F
    -Place your sweet potato on baking paper on a baking tray
    -Poke a few holes in the potato with a fork to pierce the skin
    -Bake for 60 minutes (or as needed, until it’s soft inside)
    -Finely slice the chicken meat into small pieces (as small as possible)
    -In a pan add the chicken, cooking oil, tomato paste, mushroom slices, onion, spring onion (optional), fresh lemon juice, onion powder, sea salt and black pepper, and chili powder (optional)
    -Cook over a medium-high heat on the stove for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked
    -You can add a splash of water to the pan if it’s getting to dry
    -Steam your broccoli in a steamer for roughly 10 minutes
    -Once fully baked, remove the sweet potato from the oven
    -After it’s cooled slightly, you can handle it and slice it in half
    -Use a fork to slightly smash up the inside of each sweet potato half (to make it easier to eat)
    -Serve the cooked chicken onto each sweet potato halve
    -Garnish with fresh spring onion (totally optional)
    -Serve the steamed broccoli
    -Eat and enjoy!

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Roughly just over 400 calories, based on the sweet potato being 180 calories, and the chicken being 160 calories
  • Luke_rabbit
    Options
    You've inspired me with your question! I'm making this recipe this week:

https://whi.sk/dCAze
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Here is a restaurant menu of a place I used to get potatoes from (you can sub with sweet potatoes). I don’t see my favorite listed anymore :( but some ideas nonetheless

https://www.jasonsdeli.com/mobile-menu?term_node_tid_depth=5

They used to have one that had spinach (that wilted on the hot sweet potato), turkey, avocado, cheese (Asiago maybe?), jalapeño ranch.... aaaannnnd... can’t remember what else at the actual restaurant. Cilantro is tasty on it as well. Hmmmm.... I wonder if I have what I need to make that tonight 🤔
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I put roasted sweet potato cubes in my black bean soup, so alternatively I could make black bean soup and use that to top my sweet potato with. Also some guacamole and pico/tomatoes or corn salsa as well. yum.

This is more of a dessert or snack, but I've also topped my sweet potato with sliced banana and drizzled with peanut butter (I wisk it with water to make it more drizzley)
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, black beans and nuts...