Does anyone know anything about the DUKAN diet?

Options
Hello. Does anyone have any experience of the DUKAN diet? I have just met up with a friend I've not seen for a few months. She looked amazing. Not only slim but really vibrant and glowing. She swears by this diet having failed on many others. I am not a person easily swayed from the common sense approach to losing weight but would like to know more about this French revolution please!

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    it's another high protein diet that doesn't offer much room for carbs.
    I wouldn't try it because there's no way I could keep up with such restrictions.
  • cori1212
    Options
    it's basically bodytrim though dukan diet came first it defn works but it is very restrictive with carbs and i found it didnt agree with my body even though i was losing weight on it. just google it there is plenty of info online if you are interested in trying it :)
  • sarahpittaway
    Options
    I never heard of it. I love carbs and CHEESE! But still lost 6.5 stone in 9 months. Its portion control, not eating before bed and making sure you are thirsty instead of hungry . Water is my best friend! Drink water than wait 20 minutes if still hungry eat! And exercise ! I cannot get to the gym everyday so I walk and Walk. It works.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have a friend here on MFP that landed up in hospital a month ago following the Dukan Diet - if you want to make contact with her I can send her a message, and ask her if she would be willing to share her experience.... sufice to say she is not doing it any longer!!
  • sandislim
    Options
    I've read about the diet and its restrictions, sounds a lot like rabbit starvation. If you get diahorrea, stop.
  • char63
    char63 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there, my sister tried this diet and she initially lost 7lbs the first week. then she lost 2lbs a week after that. She was severly constipated and miserable with awful mood swings. I guess it's a case of trying it out to see if it suits you. Good luck!!
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My mum did it. And lost about 10kgs she didn't have any problems with it, until she reached the end of the program and began introducing carbs and other foods back into her diet. As the book instructs you do this slowly until you're back eating a "normal" healthy diet.

She's now put weight back on and is beginning the program again. I don't think it's terribly healthy more of a quick fix that won't last long term for everyone.

She suggested I try it with her, but I'm sticking with potion control and exercise.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    She suggested I try it with her, but I'm sticking with potion control and exercise.

Yep, that's the way.
  • CatheyV
    Options
    Very high protein, for the first week you are limited to meat, cheese, eggs and dairy. I have tried it and had success but was unable to continue due to a health condition. You would have to be very dedicated to keep it up. Not much fruit and veg thus leads to constipation.
  • Fantatoo
    Fantatoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your contributions on this. Perhaps worth a look at some of the regime to lose a few pounds but there's nothing like eating sensibly is there.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My friend did it before her holiday, lost quite well and quickly but as everyone says, it's restrictive and I think might therefore cause a bit of 'rebellion' lol, along with the potential health problems people have described if it was me I'd use it for a quick fix, before a holiday like detox but not for long term weightloss.
  • mrshickey
    Options
    I am currently following the Dukan diet. I looked into it beforehand and it isnt really as restictive as people make out, and its not high fat like atkins either, which it is always compared to. I have to say Im very optimistic about it. As long as I drink enough water, eat enough veg, keep my fat intake low, watch my egg intake and eat lean meats I will be fine. I have read horror stories and you always will with diets, but the ones i have read (so far) have been people who already had illnesses, and others who treated the diet more like atkins which is high fat.

The decision is always a personal one, I can give u my opinion because i am actually following the diet at the moment, where as some people will give their opinion based on stories, rumour and no real fact. I would just say to look into it and get more opinions from people who are actually following the diet, or who have followed it. you will always have good and bad.

My experience so far is good, I eat pancakes, muffins, cheesecake, biscuits as part of this diet, all made at home so I know what is in them. There is a thread or two on here if you search 'Dukan', that might give you some other peoples experiences.

Good luck with your weightloss xxx